• Windrestrictor

Votes: 45 78.9%
  • GM/Cadillac Mesh

Votes: 12 21.1%
21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Hello All! This is Ashli from WR. I just wanted to throw in this like to another thread which is letting everyone know that we are now officially licensed by General Motors... really exciting news for all of us!

I noticed GM was a hot topic here so it may be of interest to some of you :cheers

Take Care!

-Ashli

CLICK HERE >>>> http://www.xlrforum.com/showthread.php?t=6065&highlight=windrestrictor

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello All! This is Ashli from WR. I just wanted to throw in this like to another thread which is letting everyone know that we are now officially licensed by General Motors... really exciting news for all of us!

I noticed GM was a hot topic here so it may be of interest to some of you :cheers

Take Care!

-Ashli

CLICK HERE >>>> http://www.xlrforum.com/showthread.php?t=6065&highlight=windrestrictor
Been thinking about getting a Windrestrictor for my '04 XLR (putting it on my Christmas wish list...lol) and am wondering if I need a Cadillac "knowledgable" mechanic to install it (w/ or w/o the added brake illum. feature) or is this something a "at home" mechanic could install?

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Been thinking about getting a Windrestrictor for my '04 XLR (putting it on my Christmas wish list...lol) and am wondering if I need a Cadillac "knowledgable" mechanic to install it (w/ or w/o the added brake illum. feature) or is this something a "at home" mechanic could install?
Hello Black Ice!!
Ha ha that would be needless to say the greatest Christmas gift ever!! :cheers

As far as the install goes, no-- it is definately something that can be done by you with "at home" mechanic skills :) We send detailed instructions with your WR and if you have ANY questions we can walk to through it step by step over the phone. No worries :thumbs

Let me know if you have any other questions!!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I traded my 2005 XLR Platnium for a 2009 XLR and was surprised the the mesh screen was included at no extra charge. It has been on for about 2 months and appears to have stretched some as it sags when the car is at rest.

Maybe they wanted to get rid of them.

Bill
There are adjustments to the tension for the top of the mesh screen where the slack can be taken out. Look inside/under each roll bar cover. Unscrew the elastic retaining screw. (Be careful, it is not a snap. This I learned the hard way.) Loosen the screw with a GM star screwdriver. (Sorry, a regular phillips head will not work.) Move the screw down the elastic to a tighter opening and reinstall. I had to use wire pliers to pull the elastic tight to be able to reistall the adjustment screw. It was a bit of a pain, but it works.

·
Registered
35 Posts
For what it is worth

More feedback - I find the windscreen very annoying at night when I try to see through the back window. Otherwise it works very well. If I had it to do over, I think I would choose the WindRestrictor with a small or no etching.

·
Registered
190 Posts
More feedback - I find the windscreen very annoying at night when I try to see through the back window. Otherwise it works very well. If I had it to do over, I think I would choose the WindRestrictor with a small or no etching.
I would agree - I have the WindRestrictor without etching or lighting and like it very much. There is still a little problem with reflection - particularly at night - but you adjust to it. With the top down and windows up it is very similar to a closed car with an open sunroof, but without buffeting.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZQJGFArqAg

Here is a video we made highlighting some of the features. If the video does not show up here's a list of the features.

* 3/8 " Abraision Resistant Acrylic Glass precision cut to follow the bodyline of the roadsters rear panel. Beveled edge.

* Powder coated, (protective finished) aluminum roll bar brackets to match the factory leather. Allen screws.

* Hand crafted, wooden center bracket wrapped in the same factory leather as your roll bars. This bracket also follows the curve on the rear panel.

* Laser engraved Cadillac graphics or personalized graphics for a personalized touch.

* LED illumination system provides product with a very unique glow that can be wired into your running lights or brake lights. Battery pack or 12V adapter plug available.

Preferred15 will take $60.00 off of your order through the end of July! :seeya

This is for ALL standard orders. Also, add custom laser etched graphics for only 52.50. Contact us at [email protected] for more info on this.

Have a great weekend everyone!!!

Stephen

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Just got mine this weekend

I was investigating and got hooked up with a guy that made them for other cars but not the XLR. He worked with me and produced a design I liked. It requires no screws, no two face tape, no physical attaching to the car at all. It can easily be installed and removed with no tools, and can be left in place when the roof is put up. It is not etched, i prefer the clear view in my mirror, and is slightly angled to help prevent glare. I'm not sure when he'll be providing them as a production item, but he is easily contacted through his website www.jaysenoffwindscreens.com

Not sure if the following picture is inserted correctly, if not email me at [email protected] and I send a pic
Car Land vehicle Vehicle Mirror Window

·
Registered
145 Posts
It certainly looks nice. However, isn't it on the wrong side of the roll bars? The other wind restrictor which was made of clear plastic that I purchased a couple of years ago was made to go on the other side of the roll bars and when I questioned that the manufacturer said that there is actually more pressure coming from behind -- over the trunk -- so for greater stability the wind restrictor needs to be on that side of the roll bars.

·
Registered
35 Posts
OK. Stephen has done such a good job of pushing his windrestrictor, I give in and ordered one to go with my windscreen. I ordered it Sunday and it is here today, Wednesday. Pretty quick for regular shipping. I will use both and give feedback.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
I'm not seeing any stability at all on the above mentioned product. Normally we do not have an oppinion on competitors products but this is not a sponsor of the site and it looks pretty flimsy to me for sure. We've found that the very thin "plastic" screens have tons of vibration and buffeting at high speeds unlike our products that are very stable.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Windblox vs. mesh

I had a mesh windscreen on a 2002 SAAB 9-3 Turbo. It was a must have item on that car. The rear seats created a lot of wind turbulence. The XLR was as good as the SAAB without a windscreen. I recently got aa lexan smoke tintwindbloxx It was only $125. It was a much bigger improvement than I thought. it is Easy to remove e but we have not had a need to. Rearview vision is not affected much at all. It looks much better than I imaginedd. Smoke tint looks cool and may keep aa little sun off your back too! After this, I prefer the windblox over mesh,even without a price difference The price made it a no-brainer for m..

·
Registered
35 Posts
I wrote this review on another web site, but I though it worth repeating here.

I have both the Cadillac windscreen and the WindRestrictor. They are both excellent products.

Value - The WindRestrictor is the better value. I got a model without etching. I worried the etching might interfere when looking backwards. (I was tempted to get the Cadi logo as I think it really looks sharp.)

Wind protection - They both stop most of the wind. With the windows down, the Cadi windscreen stops more of the back draft that blows hair forward. With windows up they both stop most of the wind, but the windscreen still stops more wind.

Looks - I think the WindRestrictor is much better looking. It certainly looks better than any of its cheaper competitors that I have seen in person or in pictures. It is solid and thick, cut and polished, sits in a leather frame, and looks very professional. (I am surprised some people would buy an $80,000 car and worry about saving $100 by buying a flimsy windshield. Don't mean to judge, just find it odd.) The Cadi windscreen looks OK but it does not add anything to the car, at least not to me.

Packaging - The WindRestrictor has better packaging and extra touches including cleaner, cleaning towel, and gloves for installation to avoid hand prints, even though they would easily clean off.

Speed of install - The windscreen goes on and off in less than 5 minutes without tools. The WindRestrictor requires an wrench and takes about 5-10 minutes, plus you have to be careful not to scratch it. The windscreen has a storage container. I saved the shipping box to store the WindRestrictor.

Interference with vision - The windscreen interferes with my vision when looking backwards, especially at night. The WindRestrictor reflects light when it is darker behind the car than in front, somewhat annoying. I think they used a special plastic to help keep the reflection to a minimum. Overall, the WindRestrictor causes less interference than the windscreen.

Bottom line - You cannot go wrong with either. My wife likes the windscreen slightly better because it stops the back draft better; therefore, I like the windscreen better since I bought it for her.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
wind restrictors

I started with a factory mesh wind restrictor,
it worked well, and looks ok

I then bought a plexiglass windrestrictor
I think it might block a little more wind, but very similar to what the mesh blocked.
I think the plexiglass windrestrictor is superior because it looks much better and I have the lights set dim with the headlights on and a little brighter when braking. It created a nice glow in the car at night with the top up !!!

the quality and installation are excellent
when I called and was installing mine, it was near their closing time,
and the person I spoke to gave me his cell phone # so I could call him if I had problems into the evening , I didn't, but what service !!!!

I will never use the mesh wind restrictor again, ed :)

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
I started with a factory mesh wind restrictor,
it worked well, and looks ok

I then bought a plexiglass windrestrictor
I think it might block a little more wind, but very similar to what the mesh blocked.
I think the plexiglass windrestrictor is superior because it looks much better and I have the lights set dim with the headlights on and a little brighter when braking. It created a nice glow in the car at night with the top up !!!

the quality and installation are excellent
when I called and was installing mine, it was near their closing time,
and the person I spoke to gave me his cell phone # so I could call him if I had problems into the evening , I didn't, but what service !!!!

I will never use the mesh wind restrictor again, ed :)
Thank you so much for the feedback. We have had many of our customers that tell us the same thing about the quality. The mention of our customer service is a true honor. I promise we will try and live up to it. If anyone ever has any issues please contact us and we will help you work through it. We're having more and more dealerships contact us now that the word is getting out about the quality and the new option with our product.

Have a great week everyone!

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
We ordered the Windrestrictor the week after we bought our 08 Alpine white and it has not been off the car since. I agree with all good things said about the company. There is occasional glare at night and I could probably reduce it if I bothered to try and adjust it at night. Never tried the fabric.... just assume it would bother my vision.
Jester:jester

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thought that things were fixed?

We ordered the Windrestrictor the week after we bought our 08 Alpine white and it has not been off the car since. I agree with all good things said about the company. There is occasional glare at night and I could probably reduce it if I bothered to try and adjust it at night. Never tried the fabric.... just assume it would bother my vision.
Jester:jester
I thought that they had fixed the image glare by tilting the glass somewhat in the mount. Is this not so?
Don

·
Registered
35 Posts
I installed my Windrestrictor per directions, and I get the glare at night, especially when there are bright lights behind the car, e.g., driving away from a shopping center. It would be hard to tilt because it presses tight against the roll bars. Maybe over time people get used to the glare, I don't know. As I said in my earlier review, even though the windscreen is hard to see though at night and does not look as attractive as the Windrestrictor, in my opinion it stops more of the back draft. Even after owning the car over a year, my wife still asked me to take her for drives at night when the weather is nice. She finds it romantic and often ends up "dancing" in the passenger seat while I drive. Less wind = happier wife. IMO the Windrestrictor stops approximately 80% of the back draft while the windscreen stops 90%. Others disagree.
Steve

21 - 40 of 76 Posts