• Windrestrictor

Votes: 45 78.9%
  • GM/Cadillac Mesh

Votes: 12 21.1%
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
We had a good look at the mesh windscreen when they introduced it last year at the XLR Rendezvous in Bowling Green. At that time people got the opportunity to try it out on their car before purchase. I believe the msrp was about $650.

It reminded me of the mesh style which I had on my Mercedes SL. I was not a big fan of the mesh because, for me, it appeared to cut visiblity at night, trying to see through the mesh net.

I had a plexiglass windscreen and the problem that many people encountered was reflection from lights.

We purchased the new Windrestrictor models and are very happy. Their design puts the glass at a slight angle, so there is no light reflection. It does cut wind and makes it easier to wear a hat when driving. We got the lighted feature and there is great joy in driving at night with the windscreen lit up, and getting brighter when you hit the brakes. It is also great at evening cruise nights when you can turn on the light while parked.

Just my two cents and personal opinion.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I also got the Windrstricter and opted to go without any etching or lighting. This way it looks very clean and 'factory.' At highway speeds with the top down and door windows up it is very similar to a coupe with the sunroof open - almost no wind and easy to talk with passenger.

·
Registered
295 Posts
wind

Hi Guys, I am still here and alive and well just busy saving the company if you know what I mean. I too recently purchased the WR in plain plexi. I like it but I have this need to always make things better. My 2 cents is if it was about 1" higher and about 1-2" longer on each side it would even be a ton better especially on both sides. There is room to do both and the cost factor wouldn't be more than a few dollars. I also thought the 4 screws could have been a bit deeper cut for the allen. If the allen key fit better than the removal of the WR would be a whole lot easier. The product and packaging was 1st class just my opinion on how to improve it. Hope everone is well, especially you Bobbie!! Jim F

·
Registered
35 Posts
The Number is: 19153868 and the price was quoted $625.

I like the idea of a windscreen/deflector, or should I say my wife likes the idea. Price counts, but I am more interested in which model cuts the wind the best. Question to anyone that has purchased the GM windscreen, did you notice a significant reduction in wind, or just a moderate reduction (less than 50%). Does the screen cause significant interference with your view through the rear view mirror, or only minor interference? I would be grateful for any feedback from someone who has actually ridden top down in an XLR with the windscreen.
Thanks,
sli1
2008 XLR, platinum on ebony, mesh grill, chrome wheels, 920 miles (soon to have sway bar).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello all,
I do have the GM mesh windscreen I took a long look at each option and decided on the mesh. I'm not going to tint the windows in the XLR because, in our owners manual it's not recommended. The mesh cuts more then 70% of wind speed meaning that you still have a slight air movement at freeway speeds, with no real noticeable changes at even higher speeds and also the interior is very quite at all speeds.. It works so well, that in city driving my fiancé and I have to roll the windows down or turn on the A/C on hotter days.. As far as visibility I have no issues it actually help cut the headlights of other car behind you, for me a added benefit. Last but not lease, it down right looks great just a elegant / beautiful addition to the wonderful lines of our cars..
Here are some phone pix's

·
Registered
177 Posts
I bought the windrestrictor and it is the best thing I bought for the car. Cuts wind about 70%. Looks factory and the lighting is a must. It is the coolest thing on the car. I got a Cadillac emblem in the center and it also looks great and factory. I get more comments on it than you could imagine. Highly recommended.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I bought the windrestrictor and it is the best thing I bought for the car. Cuts wind about 70%. Looks factory and the lighting is a must. It is the coolest thing on the car. I got a Cadillac emblem in the center and it also looks great and factory. I get more comments on it than you could imagine. Highly recommended.
Moneypit,
Thank you for the review. That is exactly what I wanted to know! I am sure that the Windrestrictor is also a great product (and less expensive), but in this case I prefer to go with the GM product.
Sli1

·
Registered
11 Posts
This is a great forum! I am in the process of deciding what type wind screen to purchase for a 2008 Alpine White XLR. Nothing beats first hand user information! I am also inclined to stay with stock GM Cadillac parts. I know that is boring, but I am old. Thanks to all.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
What I don't understand is how a mesh restrictor can cost 600+ and a piece of plastic with a small piece of wood attached to it cost 400+. I'm guessing the profit margins must be like 1000%.

·
Registered
35 Posts
What I don't understand is how a mesh restrictor can cost 600+ and a piece of plastic with a small piece of wood attached to it cost 400+. I'm guessing the profit margins must be like 1000%.

I think the Windrestrictor at $400 is a better bargain than the OEM mesh windscreen, but it sounds like both work. (GM often sells the car near cost and makes up for it in maintenance and parts.) For now, I will pay a little extra and try GM's recommendation. I may also get a Windrestrictor at some point in the future. When averaged over the life of the car, it is not that much money to buy both, but for now I will try the mesh.

Thanks again Monepit for the pics.

Sli1

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mesh Windrestrictor

I have tried both factory type mesh and the plexiglass type. Can't tell much difference between the two. I like the looks of the plexiglass a little better. So, I have a the factory type for sale ... cost me about $650, will sell for $400. Used it maybe three or four times with top down.
Captam 256-313-8735

·
Registered
145 Posts
The Number is: 19153868 and the price was quoted $625.
I traded my 2005 XLR Platnium for a 2009 XLR and was surprised the the mesh screen was included at no extra charge. It has been on for about 2 months and appears to have stretched some as it sags when the car is at rest.

Maybe they wanted to get rid of them.

Bill

·
Registered
35 Posts
Feedback

Feedback on Windscreen -

So I bought the Cadillac windscreen. The good - it does a very good job of cutting the wind that previously hit me from behind and blew my hair forward. Cuts almost all of the back draft. On the expressway, with the windows down, there is still quite a bit of wind from the sides. With windows up, just a whiff along the top of my head. I have not noticed any sagging in the screen as reported by Bill, but the screen is still new so time will tell.

The bad - I can see through the screen fine during the day, but at night it makes it hard to see through the back window to back up. Since the Windrestrictor (that is the competitive product that is a sponsor of this site) is not very expensive (without the light and laser etching), I think I will order a Windrestrictor as well for comparison. My only concern with the Windrestrictor is I read somewhere else that the solid screens channels a small amount of back draft off of the restrictor against the back of your head. (I do not know that to be true, just what I read.)

sli1

·
Registered
484 Posts
There is a Weather package that includes the Mesh Wind Screen and the Car cover and Chrome Wheels. It may have been included, but it did add to the MSRP.
VQEWeather Veil Package$4,590.00

www.Cadillac-XLR.com

Thanks
Allen

I traded my 2005 XLR Platnium for a 2009 XLR and was surprised the the mesh screen was included at no extra charge. It has been on for about 2 months and appears to have stretched some as it sags when the car is at rest.

Bill

·
Premium Member
34 Posts

Bill
Trust me, you paid for it... It's a option just like wheels that you can order and it's a pricey option. Your dealer selected the option when they ordered the car and it is built into the price. You should be able to see it listed on the sticker.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yes, that was it - the weather package. But the dealer threw it in as the final cost if the car was less than a competing 2009 XLR without it.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts