Cadillac XLR Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

· Registered
545 Posts
query

Ed and Sandra=
Where are you in North Carolina? We have a place in Brevard (close to Asheville).
I've always wanted to drive the XLR on the Blue Ridge Parkway, but I just can't make mayself drive it all the way from Texas.
aviator

G

·
Aviator

Well I did it for you on the way to NYC..............Blue Ridge Parkway to Luray Caversn then on into DC to show my daughter all our government buildings on the way to Atlantic City...........We had no time to stop in DC
Bob
aviator said:
Ed and Sandra=
Where are you in North Carolina? We have a place in Brevard (close to Asheville).
I've always wanted to drive the XLR on the Blue Ridge Parkway, but I just can't make mayself drive it all the way from Texas.
aviator

· Registered
381 Posts
Too bad

Standby

Too bad you couldn't stop in DC. I would have hosted.

At least the Washington Monument is open again, Capitol is all torn up with visitors center construction, and you can't drive by the White House anymore, due to scurity.

hope you saw what you needed to see.

· Registered
574 Posts
As I posted elsewhere, I finally brought my car in for service, after almost two years.

I asked the service guy about an alternative method of installing the XM antenna. He knew nothing about 2006 mirrors and said the 2006 would have the antenna in the dash. I can only assume he was talking about the same mount some of you have mentioned, not the 2006. He wanted $600 for it.

No thanks, I'll continue to listen to CDs at that price.

G

·
It was interesting to her and me and your right, we did not see the white house, so we jumped on I-95 and started digging in our pockets for tolls. I've never been ripped off like this in my life..............Shame on those states asking for money to ride on bad roads
PS We appreciated your gesture to host. Anytime in southern California we are at your beckon call.
Bob

Eyedoc said:
Standby

Too bad you couldn't stop in DC. I would have hosted.

At least the Washington Monument is open again, Capitol is all torn up with visitors center construction, and you can't drive by the White House anymore, due to scurity.

hope you saw what you needed to see.

· Registered
545 Posts
I'm Jealous...

standby said:
Aviator

Well I did it for you on the way to NYC..............Blue Ridge Parkway to Luray Caversn then on into DC to show my daughter all our government buildings on the way to Atlantic City...........We had no time to stop in DC
Bob
I've done the drive - just not in the XLR. I thought yours was bent.
Did you drive it all the way to NYC?

G

·
I had to change my vacations plans up about 3 weeks so they could frepair my baby, but they still have to repaint because the color doesn't match. I was slightly pissed.........OK, I was damned mad.

We drove from Orange County, CA to NYC. Every small town (hell every town) we stopped in we were slammed with questions. They mostly wanted to know when this car was going to be available to buy. These people in small towns don't even have a chance of ever getting a new XLR. Their dealers, if they have one don't even get one to sell.
I must give Virginia the award for most beautiful state we where in.
aviator said:
I've done the drive - just not in the XLR. I thought yours was bent.
Did you drive it all the way to NYC?

· Premium Member
99 Posts
XM Antenna for 2006

The XM antenna is indeed in the outside rearview mirror. Talk to the XLR electronic's guy my dealer about installing 2006 mirror. That is no problem. The problem is the XM module is located on the under side of the trunk. To the right of the XM antenna. So you would have to either relocate the XM module or have a antenna cable made. Then figure out how to get it routed to the mirrors. The long antenna cable may also present a problem. Cable loss could be enough to have the XM radio not work at all. Moving the XM module would be a night mare.

Sorry about the above miss info. Robin

The XM module is not the one referred to above. That is the TOP CONTROL MODULE. The XM module's location is right behind the LED's for the parking assist. IF in the 2006 XLR the module has not been moved. It should be possable to buy the Antenna cable's and mirror's and install them on your 04/05 XLR. The service manual for the 2004 XLR explains how to replace the XM antenna cable's. So it stands to reason that the service manual for the 2006 XLR would detail the same thing. But I will bet that the Radio Head has been re-engineered to incorperate the XM module. Robin

· Registered
1 Posts
Robin said:
The XM antenna is indeed in the outside rearview mirror. Talk to the XLR electronic's guy my dealer about installing 2006 mirror. That is no problem. The problem is the XM module is located on the under side of the trunk. To the right of the XM antenna. So you would have to either relocate the XM module or have a antenna cable made. Then figure out how to get it routed to the mirrors. The long antenna cable may also present a problem. Cable loss could be enough to have the XM radio not work at all. Moving the XM module would be a night mare.

Sorry about the above miss info. Robin

The XM module is not the one referred to above. That is the TOP CONTROL MODULE. The XM module's location is right behind the LED's for the parking assist. IF in the 2006 XLR the module has not been moved. It should be possable to buy the Antenna cable's and mirror's and install them on your 04/05 XLR. The service manual for the 2004 XLR explains how to replace the XM antenna cable's. So it stands to reason that the service manual for the 2006 XLR would detail the same thing. But I will bet that the Radio Head has been re-engineered to incorperate the XM module. Robin
On teh 06 XLR the NAV/XM antennas are in BOTH ouside mirrors. They will pick up the strongest signal of the two.

· Registered
38 Posts
XM Antenna Installed in windshield today.

I am wondering if anyone has installed their XM without the factory antennae being drilled through the trunk, but rather in some other portable yet secure fashion? undefined
I contacted the dealer and they ordered the wart for me, but I had second thoughts so I went to best buy today and purchased the mini xm antenna $40, I found out that I needed the splitter to convert the newer style "one lead" antenna to the older two lead type. Neither Best Buy or Circuit City carried the splitter, I found a place on the web that carries the splitter but didn't want to wait, I found a local auto audio shop that had one in stock, $30. Went into my trunk and found the leads plugged in where the wart would be connected right above the back of the rear storage unit, unplugged the 2 white prewired coax leads and connected the splitter leads then the antenna which came connected to 23' of coax. Ran the very thin coax wire through the bottom back of the passenger seat, tucked it under the passenger kick plate and up to the windshield. Very simple install, and the mini XM antenna was magnetic so it sticks to the center vent grill, works great everywhere except inside my garage!
XM antenna part: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-AUz1IYMc804/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?search=xm+antenna&i=209XMICRO2
XM splitter part: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-AUz1IYMc804/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?search=xm+splitter&i=003XM1DAS

· Banned
163 Posts
And if you would like to receive XM in your garage and for that matter have it easily distributed anywhere else in your house, we would suggest this product:

http://www.myradiostore.com/antennas-cables/xm-signal-distribution/sa10116-xm-signal-repeater.html

You can actually see it mounted at the top left of the window in this photo:

The XM satellite antenna which feeds it is mounted outside the window. This was an ideal solution for us because we have a PolkAudio XRt12 Reference Tuner tied into the home entertainment system situated in the Great Room and we didn’t have to run any wires to get a very high quality signal to it.

http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/products/xrt12/

Guess our listening perception isn’t as acute as that of some others because we think the XM quality is pretty good, both in the XLR and with the home receiver. We also have Sirius and frankly can’t tell a difference in the quality.

Best regards,
Ed and Sandra

· Registered
61 Posts
A day late

Just had local dealer do trunk install today on my 2005. When I drove demo it had the "wart" but when I found the blue steel I wanted, it was tucked in the trunk compartment. Couldn't believe it didn't come installed. Took only 12 days to make up my mind to do it....glad it's over, looks fine, sounds great. If I'd read these options yesterday, I'd probable still be debating what to do

· Registered
37 Posts
I contacted the dealer and they ordered the wart for me, but I had second thoughts so I went to best buy today and purchased the mini xm antenna $40, I found out that I needed the splitter to convert the newer style "one lead" antenna to the older two lead type. Neither Best Buy or Circuit City carried the splitter, I found a place on the web that carries the splitter but didn't want to wait, I found a local auto audio shop that had one in stock, $30. Went into my trunk and found the leads plugged in where the wart would be connected right above the back of the rear storage unit, unplugged the 2 white prewired coax leads and connected the splitter leads then the antenna which came connected to 23' of coax. Ran the very thin coax wire through the bottom back of the passenger seat, tucked it under the passenger kick plate and up to the windshield. Very simple install, and the mini XM antenna was magnetic so it sticks to the center vent grill, works great everywhere except inside my garage!
XM antenna part: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-AUz1IYMc804/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?search=xm+antenna&i=209XMICRO2
XM splitter part: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-AUz1IYMc804/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?search=xm+splitter&i=003XM1DAS
I have been considering doing the same thing. In searching the Vette sites to see what they did, many mentioned putting the antenna in the rear tailight housing and inside the rear of the vehicle. They claim fiberglass is invisible to the satellite signal. I was considering mounting the aftermarket antenna between the trunk lid and the trunk trim panel and see how it works.

Uintah

· Banned
163 Posts
The following is an excerpt from a post we did almost precisely two years ago that might be helpful in a small way for folk considering installing the regular XLR XM antenna on the trunk or otherwise working with the leads in the trunk lid:

We decided to install the XM antenna ourselves since we were concerned the dealership would not be as careful about the matter as we would like. Here are a couple of “tips” for those similarly inclined. We bought new drill bits so the holes would be cut as cleanly as possible and we also bought the special masking tape used just for painting cars (don’t even consider the normal variety of masking tape). The tape is used to prevent tearing of the paint and fiberglass when the final holes are drilled from the topside, after the pilot holes have been drilled from the underside of the trunk lid. We also suggest wrapping a good bit of narrow tape around the base of the drill bit so the drill chuck can’t accidentally come in contact with the trunk lid when the bit bores through it.

The instructions, as usual, leave a little bit to be desired. For example, there’s no warning that when removing the push-in retainers from the “rear compartment trim panel on the rear compartment lid” there’s a need to support the panel more or less in place and when the last retainer has been removed to lower it only enough to reach inside. Why is that important? Because on the top side of the panel are wires on either side which have been hot glued in spots and it’s necessary to reach and disconnect two wiring connectors before the panel can be fully removed without tearing the glue and the wires loose. That was lots of fun (we suggest two sets of hands).

There’s an “arrow” template included in the kit that has to be positioned in a matching recessed area beneath the trunk lid. This template, among other things, is used to mark where the pilot holes are to be drilled. The matching recessed area is noticeably larger than the template. Apart from the obvious need to carefully center the template across the width of the recess there’s the not so obvious need to move it as far forward as possible (arrow tip end) in the recess. Failure to do so can cause the antenna ultimately to be mounted too far to the rear which puts it on the raised center line of the trunk and the base of the antenna will not sit flush against the top of the trunk lid. That half-inch of play in the recess can make a lot of difference. You would think the instructions would address this matter, but they don’t.

So, there are a few tips for the do it yourselfers out there.

Happy listening.

Best regards,
Ed and Sandra

· Registered
38 Posts
Photos of XM installation of mini antenna

I have been considering doing the same thing. In searching the Vette sites to see what they did, many mentioned putting the antenna in the rear tailight housing and inside the rear of the vehicle. They claim fiberglass is invisible to the satellite signal. I was considering mounting the aftermarket antenna between the trunk lid and the trunk trim panel and see how it works.

Uintah
The dash mounted antenna is unnoticable and works well, I may try to install a second antenna in my trunk near the tail when I have a chance just to see if the signal will work in my garage, and to see if I can connect two in parallel.

If interested in photos of my install go to this thread:
http://www.xlrforum.com/showthread.php?t=2568&page=2

· Registered
37 Posts
The dash mounted antenna is unnoticable and works well, I may try to install a second antenna in my trunk near the tail when I have a chance just to see if the signal will work in my garage, and to see if I can connect two in parallel.

If interested in photos of my install go to this thread:
http://www.xlrforum.com/showthread.php?t=2568&page=2
Let us know how it works. The XLR has been in the shop for 5 days now, so I haven't had a chance to do anything. I have a new stainless steel grill waiting to be installed before our trip to Idaho.
Funny thing is they gave me a DSL to drive. It is HUGE, almost doesn't fit in the garage, but with the exception of semi trucks I own the road.

Uintah

21 - 39 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.