Cadillac XLR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started my XLR, put it in drive and it went in reverse. I put it in reverse and it went in reverse. I turned the engine off and tried again. Won't start. All the dash lights come on and it goes thru the normal start procedure but the engine won't turn over. Anybody have any ideas???

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts
Could be a number of things. Bad battery is always the first thing to eliminate.

Transmission problem is also suspect if it doesn't know what gear selection it's in. You said it went into Reverse instead of Drive once. It may think its in something other than Park or Neutral now, preventing it from starting. A visual check of the transmission cable may yield a clue.

CC

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eliminated battery. Jumper cable to known good battery, same result. Shifter cable sounds like good idea. How to access?? from underneath?? remove console??

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Put the car on jackstands today. Shifter cable disconnected at transmission. Small grommet at cable connection point worn out and allowed disconnection. Grommet is a 2 cent part but not available. Must buy new cable assy @ $56 + ship from GMparts on on line. When I started engine and pulled shifter into drive it disconnected at the reverse position and then went in reverse. I was inside garage and hit brakes before taking out side of garage. Not bad reflexes for an old white haired 68 year old. Had to change my pants tho. When I shut engine down and tried to restart it didn't know what gear it was in so refused to start. Went to hardware store and bought a bunch of grommets with intention of fabricating a fix, Thanks much for quick response and advice. Will let you know how it turns out.

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts
I'm glad you were able to quickly diagnose the problem!

Worn transmission shifter cables are taking starring roles in threads more frequently as the XLR ages. Fraying ends may be detectable before the cable yields. I might have to make this part of my twice-yearly inspection, along with the rear compartment drain line.

CC :thumbs

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, a more detailed explanation. The part that I called a grommet is actually more accurately described as a bearing sleeve retainer. The shifter cable hooks to the transmission shifter arm stud. There is a PLASTIC sleeve between the cable end and the stud that acts as a bearing and a retainer to keep the cable attached to the stud. When that bearing sleeve retainer wears out the retainer seperates from the sleeve and the cable falls off. Poor design (in my humble opinion). There is a groove in the stud but no metal c-clip or snap ring retainer. I went to the hardware store and got an assortment of plastic sleeves, c-clips, and snap rings. I took the sleeve that came closest to fitting, did some filing, installed it and the shifter cable onto the stud and installed a metal c-clip as a retainer. Problem fixed. My XLR has 57,00 miles on it, has had excellent care and upon inspection of the under side, it is in very good condition, and I saw no deterioration of the shifter cable itself. Makes one wonder how many of these cables have been replaced because the PLASTIC retainer sleeve failed. The PLASTIC retainer sleeve is only available with the shifter cable purchase. And replacing the shifter cable looks to be a very lengthly (expensive) job requiring dropping the exhaust system and what looks to be some kind of sub floor. I googled my problem right after it happened and got one hit at $600.00 for replacing the cable from an owner who had the same symptoms that I had. And yes, I would add this to my regular inspection list. Thanks again for your response.

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts
Thanks for the good writeup!

The part you're describing sounds like a slotted bushing. I'll have to raise the car and check out the original part and material when I get a chance. Delrin might be worth a shot as an alternative material.

CC

·
Registered
62 Posts
reno44 good fix, can this cable end be seen without removing anything? did you work thru console or from underside? cc is right it would be a good inspection routine. thanks, Al:)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, the cable end can be seen from the underside where it is connected to the transmission on the drivers side just above the exhaust pipe. Easy to see but very hard to work on, need slender hands & long fingers. That was the first spot after raising the rear of the car and immediately saw the problem, so I didn't raise the front to look an front connection at shifter but I know from previous removal of console that you can't see connection at shifter end from the top. Maybe if you pull the shifter assy but not sure. I have a lift but since the car wouldn't move, I had to jack it up & use jack stands so it's a little harder to work that way.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Reno44...great preventative check...though, I won't be climbing under the car soon...if you are still in the process of fixing, please take a photo of the location (if possible)...wonder if any lubricants would extend the life of the cable?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry, but I finished the repair and didn't take pictures, but you shouldn't have any problem locating the part. I don't know that I would advise lubricating the part. I'm aprehensive about the chemical effect of lubricant, especially petroleum based, on the plastic bushing retainer. The bushing retainer depends on compression and friction to hold the components together. Lubrication might have a negative effect on that bond. I'm not a Chemist or Engineer,but I don't think I would use lubricant on that particular part.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Fair enough!...wonder about pure silicone...although,that was difficult to find for the top rubber gaskets. Where I live, there is no-one with the "XLR-certified" title at the local dealerships.

I am all for doing what must be done to keep this car in running order...suspect it to be a labor of love...reminds me of the time I rebuild the shocks on a 53 Buick Special...(those who have done that..know)

I do wonder what driving habits would accelerate the wear...if any...and what changes were made from the early to late production (mine is a '06)

Again, appreciate your time to post a potentially real issue (one that could strand me with a unhappy wife...lol)

·
Registered
6 Posts
XLR wont Start and is stuck in reverse

I used my car in the morning just fine, went to go to lunch and started it and put it in drive and it went in reverse, put it in reverse and it was in reverse put it in park and turned off the car and then it would not start the dash lights all worked and everything looks good, had to have it towed to the dealership and it was a broken cable (or that is what they told me) and 600.00 later all was better.

MH

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
broken shifter linkage

Tip I learned the hard way. Always ask for the broken part. In reality, you were in a public place where you couldn't jack up the car & repair. Kinda at the mercy of the repair shop and they do tend to gravitate towards the more expensive repair.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts