Cadillac XLR Forum banner

XLR vs C5/C6

5K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  BUDSVET 
#1 ·
Hi there,

here in germany many people ask me the different between my C5 and my XLR.

here it is:
My C5 vert with 6 speed is the real sports-machine, it`s an 02. I got the Corsa Exhaust System on, so its above 2000 rpm a kinda loud. But I love this music :)
The fuel economy on my vette is world-class, because there is no car out there with this power which undercuts the gas-mileage of the Vette.
I test drove last week a 05 C6 coupe and especially the interior got much better look than my C5 got. Now you can have heated seats, navigation what was not offered on the C5. The engine got a little more power but you can tell not much difference to my C5. (0-60 in 4.6 or 4.2) All in all the the C6 is the better car - I still keep my C5 and maybe.......maybe I buy a C6.
Now to my XLR - this car is, as the name says a "LUXURY ROADSTER", it got almost everything on board, as you all know. I was only in one thing a little disapointed because the CTS/SRX have the TV tuner in the Nav - not the XLR.
That`s funny, because it means in the "King of the Family" you can`t watch TV while waiting somewhere but you can do it in the CTS (all export models where I talk about). My XLR is not as fast as my Vette but it`s faster than the SL 500 and the top end on my HUD got me to 274 km, that`s 171 mph. My analog-speedo stops at 260 km and wan`t go further. But now the differences between the Vette is when you drive on the autobahn in the 100-170 mph range, the XLR is so comfy against my Vette, the wind noises are so low and it feels more as you would drive a sporty-big-luxury-sedan but with a lot better handling.

Bob, :lol you was right, it`s a XLR - eXport Luxury Roadster :cool

Harry

See less See more
#4 ·
Hi Harry, Ordered a blue coupe. you can't get a convertible. six speed. the Z06 will be available at dealerships in the fourth quarter which means I may get mine late this year, then off across the USA for a couple of months, ,,,,,, :jester :jester :flag :flag

#5 ·
We have an '03 Vette (anniversary edition) and an '05 XLR. Both are auto, the Vette is a coupe. Harry's comparison is pretty much on target.

The original GY tires on the Vette were very noisy and hard riding, the compromise between 200 mile range on flats versus the 50 miles on the Pilot Sports we now have on it. With the new tires, the ride is still much firmer and the coupe is nearly as quite as the XLR. Note that the Vette also has the magnetic shocks (and a tour/sport control for them).

Cady did a very good job of making the XLR feel like a Cady... throttle, brake and steering are all completely different, and the ride is pretty good given the sports capabilities of the car. It is noticably taller and easier to get in and out of. All things that make it the Lady's favorite.

I haven't had the opportunity to get the XLR beyond 120 yet, but having had both on a lift and knowing the difference in rubber on the road, I don't think I will ever feel as secure at high speed as in the Vette... and I prefer a firmer ride anyway. The Vette feels totally solid and controlable all the way up at high speeds.

I haven't had a chance to drive a C6 yet. I actually like the looks of the C5 better for now and am not particularly tempted, although I do like some of the new features available.

#6 ·
Caly said:
We have an '03 Vette (anniversary edition) and an '05 XLR. Both are auto, the Vette is a coupe. Harry's comparison is pretty much on target.

The original GY tires on the Vette were very noisy and hard riding, the compromise between 200 mile range on flats versus the 50 miles on the Pilot Sports we now have on it. With the new tires, the ride is still much firmer and the coupe is nearly as quite as the XLR. Note that the Vette also has the magnetic shocks (and a tour/sport control for them).

Cady did a very good job of making the XLR feel like a Cady... throttle, brake and steering are all completely different, and the ride is pretty good given the sports capabilities of the car. It is noticably taller and easier to get in and out of. All things that make it the Lady's favorite.

I haven't had the opportunity to get the XLR beyond 120 yet, but having had both on a lift and knowing the difference in rubber on the road, I don't think I will ever feel as secure at high speed as in the Vette... and I prefer a firmer ride anyway. The Vette feels totally solid and controlable all the way up at high speeds.

I haven't had a chance to drive a C6 yet. I actually like the looks of the C5 better for now and am not particularly tempted, although I do like some of the new features available.
Hi Caly,

as I see on your pics our car taste is pretty identical :thumbs

Harry

#7 ·
BUDSVET said:
Hi Harry, Ordered a blue coupe. you can't get a convertible. six speed. the Z06 will be available at dealerships in the fourth quarter which means I may get mine late this year, then off across the USA for a couple of months, ,,,,,, :jester :jester :flag :flag
Hi Budsvet, I was wondering but now you got it right - you are getting the Z06.
This LeMans blue looks damn good but didn`t you had to make decision to get an XLR V or the Vette Z06 ??? :confused

Both cars will be great cars :thumbs

Thanks
Harry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.