Cadillac XLR Forum banner

Would you buy an xlr-v as a long term investment?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I’m about to buy a 2006 XLR-V out in Germany. I myself live in Belgium and I’m a Cadillac collector. An XLR is very rare out here, especially an XLR-V. Annual costs of having one registered out here is ridiculous so they are rare but somewhat cheap out here. I was wondering if it’s a smart move to buy one as an investment and barely use or drive it for the next 10-15 years. I think due to age they are (almost) at their cheapest they will ever cost. My opinion is they will become a rare but desirable car in about a year or 10-15 but I’m not sure because they already have a smaller and specific group of owners/enthousiasts.

any opinions?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello,
I’m about to buy a 2006 XLR-V out in Germany. I myself live in Belgium and I’m a Cadillac collector. An XLR is very rare out here, especially an XLR-V. Annual costs of having one registered out here is ridiculous so they are rare but somewhat cheap out here. I was wondering if it’s a smart move to buy one as an investment and barely use or drive it for the next 10-15 years. I think due to age they are (almost) at their cheapest they will ever cost. My opinion is they will become a rare but desirable car in about a year or 10-15 but I’m not sure because they already have a smaller and specific group of owners/enthousiasts.

any opinions?
All I can suggest is that repair parts here in the USA are like hen's teeth. Things like engine pulleys, seat covers, struts, etc. are essentially not available from the usual parts places. You may get lucky and find them on eBay or perhaps through a forum like this one. Parts availability should enter into your intended use for the car. I had a 2004 for 16 years as a daily driver and decided to part with it because of normal wear and usage issues were becoming too expensive for this retiree to tolerate. Good luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sadly, I am rapidly reaching the same conclusion, Don. I've had my 2005 since it was new as a daily driver and my only car, but lack of parts is making it hard to justify keeping it. It's currently in the shop where it's been for a month. The dealer gave me a loaner, so I'm OK with the delay, but I dread the call saying the just can't get some needed part. I have a fender bender 5 years ago and even then the insurance company wanted to total the car rather than repair, until I offered a replacement headlight that I found myself.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sadly, I am rapidly reaching the same conclusion, Don. I've had my 2005 since it was new as a daily driver and my only car, but lack of parts is making it hard to justify keeping it. It's currently in the shop where it's been for a month. The dealer gave me a loaner, so I'm OK with the delay, but I dread the call saying the just can't get some needed part. I have a fender bender 5 years ago and even then the insurance company wanted to total the car rather than repair, until I offered a replacement headlight that I found myself.
One of the annoying issues for me was the "check engine" light. After replacing both of the sensors, gas caps (plural), etc. the same P042 (? - I forget exactly) code would come up telling me that I had some emissions problem. 2 different dealers could not find the problem. I finally bought a Harbor Freight OBDII box and would just clear the code. That would work for 2-3 weeks, and then the same thing all over again. I really did like the car, even with that annoyance. Every once in a while, the "Top Not Secure" warning would come up along with the "Stabilitrack" nastygram, but no codes were ever set and things would go back to "normal" on the next restart. The only other issue I had was, as I age, when my backside is below my knees, standing up becomes difficult. I ended opting for an XT5, which solved that problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I also agree that the downside of ownership is the lack of parts. I've posted looking for a 09 upper grille and can't find one. As many have said GOD forbid you get in an accident and need a head/taillight. Owning a 09 is worse in that only 850+/- were produced and some parts are 09 only. It's a shame because what a cool car I love mine, but I hate for some uninsured/lousy insurance A-hole to hit me. I have stated value insurance so at least I won't take a beating on a settlement. "In the meantime "I'm gonna drive it like I stole it." Enjoy your XLR's ladies and gentlemen. Markwho

1 - 5 of 5 Posts