1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
535 Posts
We took a trip in the car and kept the top up on the freeway. Once at our destination and the trunk was unloaded, we took the top down. I would suggest if you want to take the top down while needing to carry luggage, getting some soft "duffle bag" type bags that will fit quite nicely into the allocated space.

If Cadillac is listening, maybe they would be smart to design and sell a couple of perfectly fitting bags, kinda like MBZ does for the SL.

Has anyone heard of ANY XLR accessories yet????

·
Premium Member
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
XLR TOP DOWN TRUNK SPACE

The 500 SL has a lever that swings the top up when the trunk is opened and the top is down to allow access to a well for storing luggage.

It may have been where the spare tire was going to go at one point.

I have noticed that the 500 SL seems to look longer from the side in the trunk area than the XLR.

Did you and your passenger thinkk there was enough luggage space with the top up??

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
535 Posts
With the top up, the trunk space is expansive... I'n guessing but it's about 4 ft across by 1.5 ft high by 6 feet front to back. The numbers are probably greater than that. I put in a suitcase, a cooler and some shopping bags and I didn;t make a dent in the space. I'd guess you could get four to six suitcases in the trunk with the top up.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I took another look at the trunk with the top up. Although I didn't actually use a tape measure, I'd now estimate the clearance from top to bottom is around 15-16 inches. I'll try to get better numbers soon.

·
Registered
535 Posts
These number are not exact, but I quickly measured the trunk:
With the top up: 15 h, 45 w, 42 l
With the top down: 8 h, 36 w, 14 l
The trunk does not exactly have square corners so in some places the actual measurement will vary a little each way, I just took an approximate measure, erring to the smaller measure.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Truely distressing news! Anyone know where they make "telescoping" golf clubs!!!

Just received word of delivery of my car to the dealer 11/6/03!

·
Registered
535 Posts
Remember you can always put the top up. I took a couple of pictures which I will put up later today but they look dark on the camera's LCD. Maybe they'l llook better once I get them on the computer monitor.

·
Registered
411 Posts
If they don't look good on the monitor, you can adjust gamma to bring out the image. I'm very curious to see your images...

·
Registered
535 Posts
This picture is with the partition lying flat, creating one large compartment in the trunk. The partition can come out altogether if you don't want it lying flat.

I sure hope these pictures help.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quixotic:

Thanks VERY MUCH for taking all of your valuable time to help research the trunk space.

I wish there was a better answer for top down driving than what's currently available.

Consider this--If you just wanted to go over to play golf or hit some balls, you would have to leave your partner home so you could put the clubs in the passenger seat IF you wanted to enjoy some sun on the way. I hope later model years have a solution iRegardsncorporated in them.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2 Posts
well well well

Nothing is perfect and never will be. Had a lambo countash in the 80s. Had to sit on side with doors up to back up the car, no way you could see what was at the rear of the car. Also that was the worst car i ever owned in every way.

So i can live with the trunk space

Jacques:cuss

·
Registered
96 Posts
LOL Sounds familiar.

I also had a Triumph Stag where I blew 2 engines in 3 months because they undersized the water pump. Alway something

·
Registered
535 Posts
I just took a shot trip in my XLR. I packed the trunk with the idea that I would take the top down before arriving at my destination. In the trunk I had a carry-on sized suitcase, a cooler and a shopping (dept. store type, not grocery) handle bag.

Unfortunately, When I got to the coast, ash from the California files has been blown (I can't believe how far, maybe 70 miles) in that direction and the car was covered with ash after I stopped for lunch. No way was I going to take the top down and allow that stuff in.

Yes, it's always somethin'.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts