Cadillac XLR Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
thats strange. Literally tens of thousands of those have been installed on all sorts of GM cars and I have done a dozen over the last 5 years myself without a single failure. I would say maybe you have a different problem. they work and are well made. Maybe you got a generic autozone one instead of the ones I use. Good luck finding a cable . There are no new ones since 3-4 years ago and any used one is going to be well used as its age that causes the failure and not miles. Not sure the year of your car but they are year specific as they changed in mid 06 and are not interchangeable.

·
Registered
91 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thats strange. Literally tens of thousands of those have been installed on all sorts of GM cars and I have done a dozen over the last 5 years myself without a single failure. I would say maybe you have a different problem. they work and are well made. Maybe you got a generic autozone one instead of the ones I use. Good luck finding a cable . There are no new ones since 3-4 years ago and any used one is going to be well used as its age that causes the failure and not miles. Not sure the year of your car but they are year specific as they changed in mid 06 and are not interchangeable.
Thank you very much for the reply. XLR is a 2004 with 32000 miles. Two weeks ago shifter felt not connected and car wouldn't move. Had it towed to a decent repair garage where they stuck in a generic bushing and zip tied it together. He suggested I order a bushing from eBay which I did. (Bushingfix.com) Before I got the part, same problem, towed again while out of town. That guy said zip ties slid off. He also re zip tied and I made it home. Part from ebay came in and I had first guy install and he used zip ties again. Fix only lasted one day. He thinks I need a new cable if I can find one. I only am interested in a new one which seems impossible to find. Any input you may have would be appreciated. Feel free to give me a call. Thanks again,
Chuck
614 496 3911

·
Registered
91 Posts
I highly doubt you will find a new one as there have been people looking for years . I have never heard of any reason to zip tie it .It presses into the cable housing with a special tool or firm pressure. then it snaps on the ball on the lever. I assume you had the rear one installed at the transmission.. I would suggest a transmission shop as they use them all the time and they have a lifetime warranty. If I see a new one i will certainly let you know. Again, I have used and installed these for years and never had a failure. Just so others reading this are afraid to have them installed. sorry for yours being a problem. I would have the steel ball on the shifter inspected to make sure its not damaged in some way or check to make sure the linkage adjustment has not gotten out of calibration and your pushing it into park is moving the cable too far and popping it off. You should be able to check that easy with the shifter in neutral and seeing if the car will start.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I highly doubt you will find a new one as there have been people looking for years . I have never heard of any reason to zip tie it .It presses into the cable housing with a special tool or firm pressure. then it snaps on the ball on the lever. I assume you had the rear one installed at the transmission.. I would suggest a transmission shop as they use them all the time and they have a lifetime warranty. If I see a new one i will certainly let you know. Again, I have used and installed these for years and never had a failure. Just so others reading this are afraid to have them installed. sorry for yours being a problem. I would have the steel ball on the shifter inspected to make sure its not damaged in some way or check to make sure the linkage adjustment has not gotten out of calibration and your pushing it into park is moving the cable too far and popping it off. You should be able to check that easy with the shifter in neutral and seeing if the car will start.
Thank you, I really appreciate your input and help. It is the connection to the transmission. I used to goof around with cars as kind of a hobby. Had a 3 car garage with a lift. Actually did a frame off restoration of a 71 corvette years ago. Now 71 years old and no more lift.
I believe I will locate a reputable trans shop and have them check it out. I will give you the results.
Thanks again,
Chuck

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thank you, I really appreciate your input and help. It is the connection to the transmission. I used to goof around with cars as kind of a hobby. Had a 3 car garage with a lift. Actually did a frame off restoration of a 71 corvette years ago. Now 71 years old and no more lift.
I believe I will locate a reputable trans shop and have them check it out. I will give you the results.
Thanks again,
Chuck
Thanks again,
Chuck

·
Registered
91 Posts
sorry about the double post I am right there with you at 70 no lift just a smooth floor. haha I ordered a corvette cable to see if they can be modified. At some point he ca ble may break or be damaged and we will need a replacement so i will see how far off it is and if it can be made to work. I will let you Know. What state are you in?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sorry about the double post I am right there with you at 70 no lift just a smooth floor. haha I ordered a corvette cable to see if they can be modified. At some point he ca ble may break or be damaged and we will need a replacement so i will see how far off it is and if it can be made to work. I will let you Know. What state are you in?
I'm in Columbus Ohio.
My original guy is picking up my car Monday morning to try to figure it out. I talked with the company today that makes the bushings. Between that discussion and your input my guess is the bushing was put in backwards or not seated all the way. Ill let you know my outcome.
Thanks again and have a great day,
Chuck

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm in Columbus Ohio.
My original guy is picking up my car Monday morning to try to figure it out. I talked with the company today that makes the bushings. Between that discussion and your input my guess is the bushing was put in backwards or not seated all the way. Ill let you know my outcome.
Thanks again and have a great day,
Chuck
got it .if it is indeed something else wrong with the cable I have a good one I pulled out to compare with the vette new one

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hopefully I should know tomorrow.
Thank you,
Chuck
XLR is all set, no more zip ties. My guy had someone else install the bushing. He snapped bushing on trans shaft then pushed the cable on backwards. Hard to believe!
Feel silly wasting your time.
How did the corvette cable match up?
Thanks again,
Chuc

·
Registered
91 Posts
have not got it yet but It is something at some point we will need as the housing wear or fall apart on the xlr and we have to find something that will work. Might as well get ahead of the problem now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts