Cadillac XLR Forum banner

XLR Rendezvous

24K views 44 replies 7 participants last post by  jeanszoo 
#1 ·
I just got back from southeast New Mexico and the Rendezvous is coming together. I have obtained rooms in Albuquerque at the Hotel Albuquerque Old Town. For those familiar with Albuquerque, this is the former Sheraton Old Town. It is a very nice place and is walking distance to Old Town for eating and shopping. This hotel was rated as one the top hotels in the "under $200" category. They will give us rooms at $119. Check them out on the internet.

In Carlsbad I got us rooms at the Ocotillo Inn (foermerly the Quality Inn). They have a great Tequila Bar and offer $3 steaks in the evening.

What I need now is input on what attendees would like to do. I have arranged for some trips, poker run, etc. but need to know if anyone is interested in renting the race track for 1/2 day or a golf outing. Based on responses, I will check these out and determine the costs. If no one replies, or there is insufficient interest in either of these activities, I will assume that there is not enough interest to persue these ideas.

As soon as these decisions are made, I will be ready to get out registration forms, and info on the hotels for the rates quoted to me.

I hope to hear from several of you forum members on your wishes. In the meantime, mark your calendar for 6/10 - 6/16/06 for your trip the Land of Enchantment and the first and largest get together of XLRs.

See less See more
#2 ·
The above mention of a racetrack reminded me of this mailing list I am on. Willow Springs Raceway is near Lancaster, CA and every month this guy rents the track and lets people like us drive around it for a reasonable fee. I've been waiting for cooler weather, but now I am going to wait a little longer so my new puppy gets a little bigger before I sign up.

By the way, the price includes professional driving instruction if you want.

To get on his list, send him an e-mail to therren_2000@yahoo.com. You can see information on the 9/22 event at http://www.alltimeracing.homestead.com/Sept_22_2005.html.

I understand it's a lot of fun and there are many types of cars there, but not too many.

Additionally, my friend (who's been to oe of the above) sent me the following:

Pantera Club invites
Ferrari Drivers to Driving School at Willow Springs Raceway
Saturday, November 5-6, 2005
Willow Springs driving school - open track event
$ 225.00 for Saturday & Sunday or $ 175.00 one day only.
• All instruction and safety standards included.
• Only an hour north of Los Angeles.
For event information, please contact Kevork Hazarian at (818) 755-9555.
This is open to all cars, not just Ferrari or Pantera. This one sounds interesting.
I am seriously considering this, ESPECIALLY SUNDAY 11/6. Who is in?
Contact the above guy to sign up.
-Ian

Hopefully, I'll get out there before it gets hot again

#3 ·
jamsto said:
I just got back from southeast New Mexico and the Rendezvous is coming together. I have obtained rooms in Albuquerque at the Hotel Albuquerque Old Town. For those familiar with Albuquerque, this is the former Sheraton Old Town. It is a very nice place and is walking distance to Old Town for eating and shopping. This hotel was rated as one the top hotels in the "under $200" category. They will give us rooms at $119. Check them out on the internet.

In Carlsbad I got us rooms at the Ocotillo Inn (foermerly the Quality Inn). They have a great Tequila Bar and offer $3 steaks in the evening.

What I need now is input on what attendees would like to do. I have arranged for some trips, poker run, etc. but need to know if anyone is interested in renting the race track for 1/2 day or a golf outing. Based on responses, I will check these out and determine the costs. If no one replies, or there is insufficient interest in either of these activities, I will assume that there is not enough interest to persue these ideas.

As soon as these decisions are made, I will be ready to get out registration forms, and info on the hotels for the rates quoted to me.

I hope to hear from several of you forum members on your wishes. In the meantime, mark your calendar for 6/10 - 6/16/06 for your trip the Land of Enchantment and the first and largest get together of XLRs.
Hi Jamsto, I overlooked your Rondezvous but my friend Standby gave me a notice on that.
I think I would be able to come there from 6/10 till 6/16 and I would love to bring my XLR there too but for a week it makes no sense. But, no problem, I could show up in an XLR V - >Standby`s new Dream machine. We would make the trip to the meeting together.
A racetrack for a 1/2 day that`s a must be, don`t you think so?
Waiting for further infos, thank you

Hans

G
#4 ·
Wow

WOW!

That would be great Hans. I don't think it would cost much more to fly into LA or John Wayne airport in Orange County rather than Albuquerque,John Wayne is about 15 minutes from my home.
Now I'm all excited
Bob
harrysxlr said:
Hi Jamsto, I overlooked your Rondezvous but my friend Standby gave me a notice on that.
I think I would be able to come there from 6/10 till 6/16 and I would love to bring my XLR there too but for a week it makes no sense. But, no problem, I could show up in an XLR V - >Standby`s new Dream machine. We would make the trip to the meeting together.
A racetrack for a 1/2 day that`s a must be, don`t you think so?
Waiting for further infos, thank you

Hans

#5 ·
standby said:
WOW!

That would be great Hans. I don't think it would cost much more to fly into LA or John Wayne airport in Orange County rather than Albuquerque,John Wayne is about 15 minutes from my home.
Now I'm all excited
Bob
Hi Bob,
because we couldn`t see us in B.G. I´m almost sure we will see us around june 9th at the L.A Airport. Only landed there once, was in 2000. I hope JAMSTO will give us further infos and I hope we get enough XLR drivers together so it really can start.

Hans

#6 ·
Albuquerque

I like the idea of a track, but have some concerns about that. Since Albuqerque is at 7000 ft. where the air is thinner, we "sea level" dwellers may have a serious performance issue, as the fuel/air mixture will be significantly richer.

Even properly leaned, the thin air will probably yield only about 70 percent power- even less on a warm day where "density altitude" can approach 10,000 ft.

Density altitude - is really a "pressure" that expresses barometric pressure, temperature and dew point as an equivalent standard altitude.

Here's a calculator: http://wahiduddin.net/calc/calc_da.htm

There's even a horsepower correction link if you are interested.

Bottom line - don't expect your XLR to perform like it does at sea level in Albuquerque!

But it is a beautiful place, and a gathering of XLR's coul be fun. Aviator is tenatively "In".

G
#7 · (Edited)
Aviator,

I realize you very knowledgable when it comes to altitudes and how it effects engines, especially planes, but having just been through Albuquerque in the heat of the summer, (and heat of the console) I had no issues with the performance of my 04 XLR, in fact, just east of the Big A, (Effectionatly known by the truckers,) at an altitude of about 6,000 ft, I had a run up to 146 mph with a 430 Lexus who fell by the wayside at 130 mph.
Yes I agree we don't have the performance at these altitudes, but how much do we need on an oval? I also don't know if I would want to put my XLR into a slide and hit a wall or for that matter even do donuts in the infield or on the track.
I might add that I would have taken it to the limit had my daughter not screamed in my ear. DAAAAAD?
Don't forget that gasoline is made for certain areas of the country which help compensate for some of the drag.
Bottom line_________________I don't need to prove anything on a track and I would love to play golf in Ruidoso, where Tony Lama plays golf at least 3 times a week. Who knows, maybe would even see the ghost of Billy the Kid in Lincoln.
Nowing my sometime passenger and driver, Hans from Germany, he probably would want to track it. Nothing is set in stone yet, but I believe he will be staying with me in California and looking forward to putting the V to the bottom of the speedometer on I-40. I'm just afraid he will be dissapointed if it tops out at 155 mph.
GUMP, for old prop guys

aviator said:
But it is a beautiful place, and a gathering of XLR's coul be fun. Aviator is tenatively "In".

G
#8 ·
I think everyone is giving jamsto food for thought and I'm in hopes that we can have a special post by Troy for people to sign up and send in their deposits so Jamsto and Corrales, NM doesn't have to foot the bill.

Jamsto-----------I know a lot of driveways are not paved in Corrales, so you have almost a year to work on that projects. My cars never see a dirt road.
Well, maybe this one
harrysxlr said:
Hi Bob,
because we couldn`t see us in B.G. I´m almost sure we will see us around june 9th at the L.A Airport. Only landed there once, was in 2000. I hope JAMSTO will give us further infos and I hope we get enough XLR drivers together so it really can start.

Hans

#9 ·
Yes, I am just awaiting enough replies to determine what direction to take on things. My street in Corrales is paved, and my driveway is stone and XLRs are driven on them almost every day. If enough people are interested, I will get the price for 1/2 day at the track, or will get a price for one of the local golf courses. If neither gets enough votes, there is still plenty to do around here as far as driving trips etc.

G
#10 ·
I was just teasing about the driveways, although I had some friends that lived in Corrales when I lived in Rio Rancho and we never saw them unless my car was dirty..................Hey, there's a nice golf course in Rio Rancho. I lived on St. Andrews near the 8th green.

I sure hope you get some good responses since you have gone to so much trouble.
Hans & I will definitely be one car, Infra Red-V
Bob
Did you know Cathy & Joe Lielo that lived in Corrales?
jamsto said:
Yes, I am just awaiting enough replies to determine what direction to take on things. My street in Corrales is paved, and my driveway is stone and XLRs are driven on them almost every day. If enough people are interested, I will get the price for 1/2 day at the track, or will get a price for one of the local golf courses. If neither gets enough votes, there is still plenty to do around here as far as driving trips etc.

#11 ·
Sorry, don't know the Lielos. We remember when most of the roads in Corrales were not paved. Now most are and Loma Larga, the old ditch bank road, is the second major street in the village and is paved all the way through. The Rio Rancho Country Club has changed hands a couple of times in the past few years, but has a nice golf course. Paradise Hills also has a course which recently changed hands and is being refurbished.

G
#13 ·
If I'm not mistaken, Jamsto is going to try and get GM to sponsor some of the events, dinner, etc. There was talk about getting this rally docemented on film. I would think that leaves out the word "race track."

Quixotic said:
Just a reminder that driving on a race track may (not 100% positive) void your warranty. There was some discussion on this topic some time ago. So, don't tell your service writer on your next visit to the dealer.

#14 ·
Quixotic said:
Just a reminder that driving on a race track may (not 100% positive) void your warranty. There was some discussion on this topic some time ago. So, don't tell your service writer on your next visit to the dealer.
Hi Quixotic,
why should it void the warranty. Well, if you use a car just on racetracks than the warranty is gone but not on a day or a half day racetrack-driving.
I used to go once a year eith my 98/01 and 02 Vette to a performance training on a race track and this was sponsored by GM-Europe!!!!!
I`ve been this May the first time with my XLR there and it`s really a great time there to see what`s in our cars, I mean what they are able to do. Sure, anything have to be coordinated but then, I think anything works fine.
As I guess you know, we here in Germany use to drive this cars much faster than you do in the US, because of your speedlimit. Maybe you would love it too, to do 60 miles in 23 minutes with your XLR. (on the autobahn with less traffic)

We can talk more about this when we`ll meet us at the rally. I hope Bob (stanby) is not too scared to let me drive his "V" but if he is, I´ll make his co-pilot.

Have a nice day
Hans

#18 ·
harrysxlr said:
Hi Quixotic,
why should it void the warranty. Well, if you use a car just on racetracks than the warranty is gone but not on a day or a half day racetrack-driving.

Hans
Hans - Just to let you know, some guy posted something here about a year ago that said that after putting his car on a track, he encountered some sort of mechanical problem. It may have been the transmission...I can't recall.

Apparently the onboard computer records a LOT of data about the way you drive -speeds, acceleration, braking, and the time/date, all of which is downloadable by Mr. Goodwrench. After analyzing the data the dealership decided to void the warranty due to the fact that the car had been racing.

My recollection is that this decision was later reversed.

One thing for sure about running on a track. Your insurance goes away the minute you roll on to it.

#19 ·
It's not unusual for manufacturers to void warranties due to track events. Ford's SVTOA division has been sponsoring track events for many years and openly encourages their SVT owners to attend. What they don't say is the fact you sign several different documents prior to participating, one is a waiver that clearly states that participating could lead to a voiding of your power train warranty.

Dodge hosts similar events for their R/T owners and have a similar waiver.

Heck, my C6 has a "competition mode" setting in the DIC, indicating when both traction control and magnetic ride are disengaged, however GM has voided more than their fair share of power train warranties with Vette owners who take their cars on to race tracks.

Bottom line is they may be high performance, but they are by no means race-prepped. Heck, some members are complaining of engine heating problems and squeaky brakes in stop and go traffic - how do you think they will fair under race conditions?

#20 ·
All too true

In reality, warranty is really just an insurance policy, just like collision and liability. The rates are set by (simply stated) a summation of costs per year plus a margin, divided by the number of warrantied vehicles out there.

The additional claims that would be made due to racing would drive up the cost of warranty for everyone. GM has MBAed it, and decided that a warranty exclusion for racing is one way to reduce the cost side of the ledger.

....now what about that Autobahn..... :rolleyes

#21 ·
aviator said:
Hans - Just to let you know, some guy posted something here about a year ago that said that after putting his car on a track, he encountered some sort of mechanical problem. It may have been the transmission...I can't recall.

Apparently the onboard computer records a LOT of data about the way you drive -speeds, acceleration, braking, and the time/date, all of which is downloadable by Mr. Goodwrench. After analyzing the data the dealership decided to void the warranty due to the fact that the car had been racing.

My recollection is that this decision was later reversed.

One thing for sure about running on a track. Your insurance goes away the minute you roll on to it.
My recollection is that it was the steering box failure and the owner TOLD Mr. G. that he was at the track........
Further conspiricy threads speculated that Big Brother would know you were at the track by your GPS location.

#23 ·
jeanszoo said:
By the way guys, we have rattlers here as well, even on our street! We also have black widow spiders as well as a plethora of other animals! Also, our driveway is not only stone it has a bit of dirt. :glol :glol :glol :glol :glol :glol :flag :D
Hi Jeanszoo, is it right, no one who is in the XLR Rondezvous voted for a day, or at least a half day at the race track?????:nono

This would be much fun, I´m One who vote for:yesnod

Harry Hans

#24 ·
Hi Harry,
I have no idea if anyone has signed for that or not, as for me NO WAY am I getting on a race track with any car! A couple of years ago we went to the track and drove my '55 Caddy, or was it Jim's '54, Caddy, around the track, which was fine as it was really slow, then I got to ride in one of the race cars and he couldn't even make the 3 laps, heck, he barely made the second lap and I said get me out of here! There was no radio (music) and I was about :puke! But if other people want to do that, more power to ya! Jim would know how many people have signed up for it and he will probably be on here later, or I could call him and find out, if you want.

#25 ·
jeanszoo said:
Hi Harry,
I have no idea if anyone has signed for that or not, as for me NO WAY am I getting on a race track with any car! A couple of years ago we went to the track and drove my '55 Caddy, or was it Jim's '54, Caddy, around the track, which was fine as it was really slow, then I got to ride in one of the race cars and he couldn't even make the 3 laps, heck, he barely made the second lap and I said get me out of here! There was no radio (music) and I was about :puke! But if other people want to do that, more power to ya! Jim would know how many people have signed up for it and he will probably be on here later, or I could call him and find out, if you want.
Jean, I´m a fast driver, here on the German Autobahns, but not a crazy driver!!!
I guess you know how do I mean it. Our XLR`s are no race cars but you can drive them (pretty fast) where it`s allowed.
My wife is ready for dinner, it`s 8.10 pm here so I see you tomorrow.

Thank you

Harry

G
#26 ·
1/4 mile drag strip, golf or horse racing

I would be interested in the 1/4 horse racing at Ruidoso Downs down by Lincoln since we are going there anyway. I also wouldn't mind putting my new V on a 1/4 mile track just to get a read out of what it can do. Golf would be fun too................Gee, I'm so easy.
Happy New Year everyone,................. well almost everyone.:party :party :party :party

Bob
harrysxlr said:
Jean, I´m a fast driver, here on the German Autobahns, but not a crazy driver!!!
I guess you know how do I mean it. Our XLR`s are no race cars but you can drive them (pretty fast) where it`s allowed.
My wife is ready for dinner, it`s 8.10 pm here so I see you tomorrow.

Thank you

Harry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.