Cadillac XLR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been following the xlr auctions at ebay for months.

Seems $77,000 is about all folks will bid.

That may change when people start to see them on the streets.....but right now.....they just don't bid much higher. I think $82k was the highest NM bid.

Here is one of the most reasonable ones I have seen on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2447423656

but even with a $79k "buy it now price"......nobody is jumping out the window to get it. Very surprising and an indicator of the market.

In 2002 I bought a Neiman Marcus T-Bird. It too was also weak in the marketplace. They never really got a premium above the original difference in sticker price. Maybe it is a late bloomer. lol But I sure took a bath when I sold it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Many people, like myself, will not purchae cars over E-Bay nor will they pay over sticker for a car. My dealership has 19 unfilled orders. Doesn't sound like slow to me except for those who are trying to make a quick flip.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Anyone who can afford a 75K car isnt paying over sticker. These are cars not rembrants which may appreciate.

The fact that every dealer in the country either has a waiting list of sold cars or is gettting sticker says it all. When they start selling way below sticker then thats a soft market

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Many people, like myself, will not purchae cars over E-Bay nor will they pay over sticker for a car.

Well you just have to look at other cars out there on ebay that DO sell and DO go for over sticker.

And while many won't purchase on the net, MANY do. I have bought 3 cars on ebay.

If you deal with good people the experience is far better than a MORON at the dealership asking "So are you going to buy a car today?" :))

But either way, ebay is one of the best market indicators out there.

As far as paying over list.....

Reminds me of a story:

A customer walks into the butcher shop and asks the cost for a pound of steak. The butcher says $8/lb. The customer is outraged and yells that the meat shop across the street is only $6.

So the butcher says than buy across the street. The customer says I can't cuz they are out.

The butcher says.....Ohhhh.....well when we are "Out" we are only $4.

As far as over sticker.....of course it is not an appreciating asset but when legit dealers like Ed Morse Cadillac are getting $5k over sticker AND you have to wait 6 months....well ebay becomes an EXCELLENT alternative. ESPECIALLY if you buy direct from a Cadillac dealer.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I get another XLR....you'll be first on my list. :))

But it's good to know. I am just down in Boca.

Bought mine from a Caddy Dealer in Northern Florida via ebay.

·
Registered
535 Posts
The good news is that you are driving one. There a quite a few people still waiting for theirs. [neener neener]:cheers

·
Registered
48 Posts
I believe what some salesmen forget during a deal or the owner may forget when setting a price for a vehicle such as the XLR, lasting relationships with customers that buy vehicles from them is the big money maker. If a consumer can go to your dealership and know that you will not try to pigeon hole them and take all of their money, then they will continue to buy. For those who do not, please don't forget that BIG BROTHER always watches and that when the time comes for the next model year vehicles to be allotted, hell hath no fury than Cadillac scorn! I heard that GM has driven quite a few dealerships into bankruptcy by slowly decreasing their allocation.:cuss

·
Registered
535 Posts
I have to believe that ebay might be a good judge of price of some things, but not others, particularly specialty cars. I'm not sure that any online site is a good judge of value for specialty cars.

Do a search on Google for Cadillac XLR. Do you find any sites listing XLRs for sale? You've just lost at least half of your potential buyers, probably much more. How can we assume the target group of potential buyers would look at ebay... or even the online Dupont Registry. Maybe their mechanic subscribes to the print version of the Dupont Registry, but...

The price range of these vehicles and the stigma that ebay and online purchasing has may keep the buyers that sellers want to target away. There's little risk to play on ebay to find the missing doll to complete a set for $20. It's another thing for $80,000.

Just my humble opinion.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Google may have nothing because it is not a commercial search engine. However if you do a search on overture, there are loads of folks that PAY to get listed and are serious about doing business.

http://www.overture.com/d/search/?type=home&mkt=us&Keywords=cadillac+xlr[/url]

What you say about ebay has merit. However there are still things you can learn by the bids being made. Right now there are about 12 listings there. The most I have seen. One now at $77k with no reserve. No bids either.

I have made many purchases on ebay for over $80,000. Sold my boat last year for $400k and bought 2 domain names for $100k each. You would be stunned by the dollar amount of the transactions there. But of course I understand many would hesitate.

I prefer to buy online. Whether a diamond, a car, a Patek Philippe, the higher the ticket, the more reason to shop online and not limit yourself to just the local marketplace.

Like anything else....buyer beware and only deal with top notch businesses and business men.

Anyway, I guess I thought those Caddy enthusiasts would come out of the woodwork.....but them guys may be too old or long gone. This is the dream car they waited 40 years for. ;-)

·
Registered
535 Posts
Your above search resulted in no actual cars until you get to the ebay listing, which produces an ebay search in position 11. At least it's on the first page. Nevertheless, there are no actual cars for sale as a direct link anywhere on the first page of 40 listings, unless you count ebay.

Nevertheless, the amount of traffic Overture (I still call it GoTo) produces is minor compared to Google or Yahoo. Typically, it accounts for less than 1 percent of traffic to site I monitor, behind Google, Yahoo, MSN, AOL, Dogpile, Lycos and Altavista.

In case you didn't guess, I do this (Web design and marketing) for a living.

Otherwise, your post was a good read but I have to acknowledge that you are the exception to the typical online buyer.

·
Registered
411 Posts
It is remarkable what bids you do see for XLRs. A current bid from someone is $20K for the "right" to get a red XLR at MSRP (+ TTL) at the end of December. That is rougly $98K ($20K bid plus ~$78K for MSRP and TTL) for a new red XLR!

I hope they intended to do that and are not thinking that they are getting a red XLR for $20K. Buyer beware...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In case you didn't guess, I do this (Web design and marketing) for a living.

I make my living online as well. I own about 4200 websites and get around 3 million uniques a month with NO CONTENT. ;-))

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I hope they intended to do that and are not thinking that they are getting a red XLR for $20K. Buyer beware...

The seller CLEVERLY and UNETHICALLY hid the FACT that they were bidding over msrp. The bidders did not know based on the bids and what others are going for. The sellers auction is misleading at best.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Pigeon Holed

Someone mentioned pigeon holed and I have a story. I have already ordered an xlr, however this weekend I heard that a local dealer had one on the showroom floor for sale. I headed over, it was snowy and I did not look my best. When I got there I looked over the car and rather than just hop in I went to the sales manager to ask permission to sit in the vehicle. He said No. I asked why, he claimed it was locked. I asked him to if he would unlock it so I could see how I fit in it. He simply replied No.

I may not have been dressed in my sunday best, however I am a current Caddy owner and a local attorney making plenty of cash to purchase such a vehicle.

This took place at McMullkin Chevy and Cadillac in NH. If anyone knows of a way to report this poor customer service to GM I would greatly appreciated the info.

Dewey.:confused :cry

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just normal MORONIC behavior by IDIOTS that wouldn't know a SALE if it kicked them in the ass.

It's pathetic at best.

It's only a damn car. MID PRICED by todays standards.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Call Cadillac corporate or talk to a neighboring Caddy dealer and ask for the number for the regional rep. There is no excuse for that kind of behavior, although it happens all the time in every industry. I have such stories...

As an afterthought, the car may have been a customer's who allowed the dealer to show it (maybe fishing for offers...). But that is stil no excuse for the behavior.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just normal MORONIC behavior by IDIOTS that wouldn't know a SALE if it kicked them in the ass.

It's pathetic at best.

It's only a damn car. MID PRICED by todays standards.

·
Registered
411 Posts
You could also find out the owner's name and phone number. If you talk with the Caddy General Manager at the dealership and tell him you only want to speak with the owner, I'll bet your complaint gets some attention.

I had the same thing happen to me when I first got out of college. Strangely it happened at a Chevy dealership while the Caddy dealership was very pleasant.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts