Cadillac XLR Forum: XLR and XLR-V Forums banner

161 - 180 of 216 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
ne wmember

hello all, I am new tot he site, a few things about me. I am a creative director in the fashion field, living in long beach. born and raised in colorado. I have a 1994 deville, and a 04 black xlr with aftermarket corsa exhaust. and 3 eldos in the family. Ive had the xlr for 3 years and love it!
glad to meet you all

ninosboombox

·
Registered
1 Posts
Many thanks to this Forum! Very helpful for this new XLR owner . . .

Hello,

I am very happy to say that at I am recent owner of a 2005 Cadillac XLR. Although this car has more than 220,000 miles, this dealer maintained car looks like it has no more than a tenth of this mileage. The car has been dealer maintained throughout its life. The local dealer also gave it a clean bill of health so I am hoping for the best.
I do want to say thank you to this forum and its members as the information here was most useful. I wanted to upgrade the 2005 key fobs to the newer rectangular version (with the integrated hard key that detaches from the fob). I took an existing from fob from my STS and reprogrammed the XLR from scratch.
After programming the fob, unfortunately the trunk would not open. Thank goodness for this forum. I was able to look on the forum and found that the valet switch could be the problem. Sure enough, I must have activated it when I was programming the fobs! Now everything works. I even bought some Saturn keys and filed them down so that they would fit in the fob. With the exception of the horn and the “remote start”, everything works. These two issues don’t bother me as the buttons were not ever part of the original fob.
I have a couple of questions. Forgive me if they are already here on the forum.
1) Is there a way to remove the GPS restriction that will allow you to enter data while moving?
2) How do you hook up an ipod/iphone/ipad to the stereo system? Is something that I can do myself?
3) Given my car’s mileage, what would be some of the things that you would be concerned about? More specifically, what are things that I might want to have checked more regularly?
Many thanks for all the help. I look forward to hearing from you.

Respectfully,
George
Burlingame, Calif.

·
Premium Member
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
Hello,

I am very happy to say that at I am recent owner of a 2005 Cadillac XLR. Although this car has more than 220,000 miles, this dealer maintained car looks like it has no more than a tenth of this mileage. The car has been dealer maintained throughout its life. The local dealer also gave it a clean bill of health so I am hoping for the best.
I do want to say thank you to this forum and its members as the information here was most useful. I wanted to upgrade the 2005 key fobs to the newer rectangular version (with the integrated hard key that detaches from the fob). I took an existing from fob from my STS and reprogrammed the XLR from scratch.
After programming the fob, unfortunately the trunk would not open. Thank goodness for this forum. I was able to look on the forum and found that the valet switch could be the problem. Sure enough, I must have activated it when I was programming the fobs! Now everything works. I even bought some Saturn keys and filed them down so that they would fit in the fob. With the exception of the horn and the “remote start”, everything works. These two issues don’t bother me as the buttons were not ever part of the original fob.
I have a couple of questions. Forgive me if they are already here on the forum.
1) Is there a way to remove the GPS restriction that will allow you to enter data while moving?
2) How do you hook up an ipod/iphone/ipad to the stereo system? Is something that I can do myself?
3) Given my car’s mileage, what would be some of the things that you would be concerned about? More specifically, what are things that I might want to have checked more regularly?
Many thanks for all the help. I look forward to hearing from you.

Respectfully,
George
Burlingame, Calif.
George:

Welcome to the XLR Forum!!

We are pleased rhat you have enjoyed cruising the site and now have elected to join up.

To answer your questions:

1. There never was a remote start included on the XLR from the factory from 2004-2009.
2. The NAV system used to have a service code that would allow access. But if your XLR was in the dealer They more than likely updated the code and disabled it.

3. iPad hook up-Please look in the technical section under Radio NAV for lots of information and experiences. Use the Search function to turn up all rhat there is.

4. You are in a elete group. There is another member here that has a high mileage XLR. We all are going to learn from you both.

However, having said that, my guess is gaskets, head, water pump, oil pan, tranny, rear end--etc. Beside the gaskets we are talking brakes, rotors, hoses, battery.

My guess is the frequent fluid changes have contributed to very little internal parts wear in the engine, transmission and rear end.

You are going to be a great source of data an information. So I am hoping you will post often.

Very best wishes

Jerry

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
17 Posts
new owner 2005 xlr

like i see i m not the only new owner this year i just guet my new 2005 xlr
silver color black interior and only 27000km canadian car i think in
us mille 16500mil the car was delevery in dec 2010 sleepe in garage for winter
never drive the car until last week what a difference i drove a ranger all week long and jump in xlr in weekend ....night day :)
i just pray for a good and nice summer

·
Premium Member
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
like i see i m not the only new owner this year i just guet my new 2005 xlr
silver color black interior and only 27000km canadian car i think in
us mille 16500mil the car was delevery in dec 2010 sleepe in garage for winter
never drive the car until last week what a difference i drove a ranger all week long and jump in xlr in weekend ....night day :)
i just pray for a good and nice summer

Welcome to the XLR Forum.

We appreciate your membership and welcome your input and posts.

This site is unique in that it strives to provide current information about the XLR it's issues and successes thanks to our members comittment to provide timely feedback about solutions to the issues they experience.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #166

·
Registered
2 Posts
low oil light

Newbie here.....
I need some help......
So, what's up with my low oil light coming on AFTER I changed my oil and filter???
I added 8 qt.s 5-30 Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 filter. I reset the change light back to 100%...
This is a 2004 with 7500 measley miles on it..

Also, Why no rear sway bar? It looks like some mounts are there, but NO BAR!

·
Premium Member
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
Newbie here.....
I need some help......
So, what's up with my low oil light coming on AFTER I changed my oil and filter???
I added 8 qt.s 5-30 Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 filter. I reset the change light back to 100%...
This is a 2004 with 7500 measley miles on it..

Also, Why no rear sway bar? It looks like some mounts are there, but NO BAR!

Welcome to the XLR FORUM!!

To answer your questions:

OIL--Capacities. You may still be 2 quarts low. Check the dip stick when the car is cold and on level ground.

Engine oil (qts / liters):
10 / 9.5 5W30 Mobil 1

SWAY BAR--The standard XLR's didn't come with one. It was introduced in 2006 on the XLR-V. It can be added fairly easily. Many members have done it at home.

Regards

Jerry

·
Registered
1 Posts
Duncan

Thanks for the welcome, I am Canadian Hamilton, Ont Perhaps one of your older members age 81. My 2006 gives me a younger outlook in life

·
Registered
32 Posts
Another new 05 XLR owner. Getting in my first post to prove I'm not a robot. :cheers

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just purchased a Xenon 2006 XLR with 25,000 miles.
Car is now located in Cleveland, Ohio.
Car has never seen snow and will sit in a heated garage during the winter.
Everytime I watch the top go up and down, and all the moving parts, makes me glad that I have the exteneded warranty!

·
Premium Member
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #175
I just purchased a Xenon 2006 XLR with 25,000 miles.
Car is now located in Cleveland, Ohio.
Car has never seen snow and will sit in a heated garage during the winter.
Everytime I watch the top go up and down, and all the moving parts, makes me glad that I have the exteneded warranty!
Welcome. You wiil value your membership at the XLR Forum.

You will find that the members are very experienced and knowledgable aboutrhe XLR and they are willing to share.

Enjoy

Jerry

·
Registered
4 Posts
Another new member!

I'm inheriting a 2005 Cadillac XLR in the next few weeks, and have been reading through the forums trying to prepare myself for the car. I'm very excited, as I'm currently driving a 2008 Civic Hybrid. I can't wait to have power again! I'm a 23 year old guy, which I know is not the normal age for an XLR. However, I'll take good care of it :) Looking forward to getting to know the XLR and sharing with you guys. Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts

What's happening all? I am a retired Soldier from Detroit Michigan and I just purchased a black 2008 xlr recently. I have to say that I love it! I look forward to the opportunity to become more involved with the site.

·
Premium Member
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #178
Welcome!!

You will really enjoy your XLR and will find that the forum is a greatplace to ask and receive answers to questions you may have about the car.

IMPORTANT--Please check the original "In Service Date" for your 2008. If you are more than 2 months away from the 4 year warranty expiration, I strongly suggest you obtain a GMPP Warranty for the car right away. That way your XLR will have virtually all of the major components protected.

Regards

Jerry

·
Registered
1 Posts
Greetings!

I *may* be another XLR owner in the near future.... Right now, I own a low mileage 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe (3.8 V6) as my "fun/project car". I bought it, new, in March of '09 when they first appeared on the dealer lots.

I sunk a lot of money in it in the last couple years, but to be perfectly honest, I'm just not as happy with it as I thought I would be. The Genesis Coupe community feels like it's going quickly downhill as more "young punks" get the cars and seem to enjoy insulting everyone else's custom work, talking trash whenever possible, etc. I like to think I'm still not "over the hill" yet, and I like sports cars -- but I also realize I turned 40 earlier this year and have a family with kids too. I'm just not feeling one with the community of people driving the car around, and that's NOT what you want from a car that's not just a "daily driver". (I've got a Jeep Patriot for that.)

I was giving some thought to finding a clean, used Cadillac CTS 2-door coupe after I ran across a couple earlier in the year that were actually in my price range. But now that the year end is approaching and it seems like a good time to buy, I can't find a single one on dealer lots.

What I did stumble onto was a 2005 black XLR, which I had completely forgotten even existed until I saw it. (I remember it being a big deal when it first came out, for the hard-top the convertible had - but never heard much about it ever since.) I did some more research and now I'm kinda hooked on the thing!

I'm *so* close to visiting the dealer out in St. Peters, MO and seeing what kind of trade-in deal we can work out.... BUT, would love to get people's opinions on this here too. I mean, frankly, I looked to foreign cars for anything "performance" for quite a while now, because the domestics just seemed to need too many costly repairs. As I browse this forum, I see a lot of talk about $1,500 here and $900 there for things like radiators and failed parts of the power convertible top, and some rumbling about head gaskets blowing fairly often on the Northstar V8? Should I be concerned, since I can't get a factory warranty anymore on this '05, or is that more an exception than the rule?

·
Registered
343 Posts
[snip]
As I browse this forum, I see a lot of talk about $1,500 here and $900 there for things like radiators and failed parts of the power convertible top, and some rumbling about head gaskets blowing fairly often on the Northstar V8? Should I be concerned, since I can't get a factory warranty anymore on this '05, or is that more an exception than the rule?
The experience of any one individual can easily be different from what counts as average.

Yes the 2004 and first half 2005s had some early problems that were often fixed with better software and true some components needed to be upgraded, headlamp housings, water pump, radiator and sensors in the roof mechanism come to mind. With those done, the XLR seems to be doing well, but having a good relationship with your dealer is going to help, and that dealer needs to have an XLR trained tech.

At heart though, in the XLR you have the excellent N* (the very real head gasket problems the N* had were pretty much fixed by around 2001 with a change to the casting process or some such) fitted to a Vette C6 chassis and reasonably common transmission, ie for the powertrain and chassis you have a GM/Cadillac with common components. You also have this web site. My 2004 has had the front timing cover and gaskets replaced with the improved ones too. You also get a very sharp styled machine, with Cadillac ride. Why look further?

What warranty will the dealer offer? Can you negotiate parts at dealer cost and a low labor rate if things go wrong say 3mo after purchase? Much of the 'big' problems were covered under recall or warranty by Cadillac, so have probably been done, check the history.

161 - 180 of 216 Posts