Cadillac XLR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
To say the least I and other Corvette enthusuasts were disappointed in what we saw two weeks ago. The interior is so cheap looking! To compare this car inside and out to a SL 500 or Lexus or Jag is really asking for trouble in the sense of sales. A sample survey done at this showing showed 95% of all people will attended agreed that the car was more than $20,000 over priced ( compared to the CTS which has similar looks and setup ) for what you were purchasing. Everyone agreed that this car is under powered for its weight. Everyone agreed that this XLR will hurt C6 sales in one fashion or another.

And for those who wondered about the engine setup, it did have the Northstar as stated previously. 320hp and low side torque on this heavy car (between 3600 - 3700lbs as provided by Caddy people) means a real slug on performance of the line.

No one liked the overall appearance too. My best guess is that this will be short lived production with under 3,000 made, if they are lucky. Expect to see the C6 in March or April, 2004 hit the dealers.

This is Caddy last chance............... :nopity :sleep

·
Registered
48 Posts
Someone once said that you can't please everybody. It totally agree. There, of course, are your critics. However, if every single manufacturer tried to please each and everyone of its portential customers, then there would be no competition. I like everything about the XLR. I don't think it's cheap looking nor should it be a cookie image of another GM vehicle. Cadillac is unique in everyway possible and if GM were like BMW or Lexus, then I'd say they'd be in a lot of trouble. I think for some Corvette enthusiast to look at this car and try to make it the Corvette's new twin sister is totally unrealistic. I think 320 hp for a ultra Luxury is acceptable. There are sacrifices to be made and for every one of those customers who didn't likethe XLR, there are 2 that do. And by the way, the XLR is a limited production vehicle. Only 1700 are being made :nono

·
Registered
41 Posts
Uder powered for the weight?:rolleyes The XLR has 18 hp more than the SL500 and weighs less. You might want to look into to stats of boths cars a bit more before you start bashing a pre-production version of a car:smash

G

·
Stan A said:
..320hp and low side torque on this heavy car (between 3600 - 3700lbs as provided by Caddy people) means a real slug on performance of the line...
The Caddy weighs 3547-lbs while the SL 500 weighs 4125-lbs and only offers 302 hp (not the AMG). No to mention the XLR's 5.9 0-60 Vs. the M-B's 6.1 time! Hmmmm...seems to me that the Benz should get back in the gym, slim down and bulk up the power.;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Please

Please be sure brain is engaged before putting your mouth in gear , Stan. Go buy a vette if it is that big of a deal.

·
Registered
10 Posts
hmm is it just me or did the author of this post get mad becuase he couldnt afford 1?

THE MAN WHO WROTE THIS ARTICLE IS A COMPLETE AND TOTAL IDIOT TO SAY THE LEAST. HE HAS NO CLUE WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT AND HE IS JUST MAD BECUASE HE DRVES SOME POS CAR AND HE CANT GET A XLR SO IF U WANT 2 BE NEGATIVE JUST LEAVE K GOT IT GOOD BYE!!!

P.S WAIT SO THERE ONYL MAKING 1,700 XLR'S I THINK THATS BS NO OFFENSE

·
Registered
17 Posts
Production IS 1,700 for this year

Since production starts in mid-June the Cadillac XLR/Corvette plant in Bowling Green, Kentucky will only have the capacity to build 1,700 models until December 31, 2003.:spam

·
Registered
22 Posts
To say the least I and other Corvette enthusuasts were disappointed in what we saw two weeks ago. The interior is so cheap looking!

Did you all actually look at the interior? I sat in one at the Bowling Green plant and it was an extremely nice interior. Almost as good as that in the M-B SL500.

To compare this car inside and out to a SL 500 or Lexus or Jag is really asking for trouble in the sense of sales.
That's odd. The magazines say that it kicks the crap out of the jaguar and comes a very close second to the SL500.

A sample survey done at this showing showed 95% of all people will attended agreed that the car was more than $20,000 over priced ( compared to the CTS which has similar looks and setup ) for what you were purchasing.
Similar looks and setup? The CTS is a sedan, isn't a hardtop convertible, doesn't have the power, doesn't have all of the same options, and doesn't handle as well. Additionally, how is it $20,000 overpriced? $20,000 less is a Corvette which has a much worse interior, a manual cloth top, a lot fewer gadgets, and a rougher ride.

Everyone agreed that this car is under powered for its weight.
Then that makes the SL500 ever more underpowered for its weight.

Everyone agreed that this XLR will hurt C6 sales in one fashion or another.
Different market. It'll hurt Jaguar, Lexus, and SL500 sales, but not sales of the C6.

And for those who wondered about the engine setup, it did have the Northstar as stated previously. 320hp and low side torque on this heavy car (between 3600 - 3700lbs as provided by Caddy people) means a real slug on performance of the line.
Sluggish compared to a Corvette, but not when compared to its competition. It's not a sports car, it's a sport/luxury roadster.

No one liked the overall appearance too. My best guess is that this will be short lived production with under 3,000 made, if they are lucky. Expect to see the C6 in March or April, 2004 hit the dealers.
That's a whole lot of "nobodies" who bought up every single Neiman Marcus edition within a few minutes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
XLR Hardtop-- Out of this world :)

We saw the XLR at a corvette event at the Museum. The folding hard top was a sight to see... very technologically savvy and added to the mystique of this unique vehicle! Alot of the corvette owners were drooling when one piped up and asked "When are we getting the folding hard top on the vette?" Luckily one of the chief engineeers for the Vette was nearby and his reply... "When you're ready to fork over 90K for your Vette" :)

We made Will Cooksey (GM plant manager and lucky XLR driver) put the top up and down a million times that day :) IT ROCKED!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts