Cadillac XLR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I mentioned in earlier posts, I had a 2004 XLR and now have a 2008 "V".

I hadn't really looked all the way in the back of the trunk in the new car until today. It was then that I noticed all of the top mechanicals exposed.

So recalling that the 2004 had a panel or cover there, I thought maybe it was a manufacturing anomily---not so. I called the dealer and they said that the panels were not installed in any XLRs after 2007 to thier knowledge. The mounting brackets in the trunk are there and the component is still available via special order if anyone else is interested.

I am concerned that something stored in the trunk may get wedged in the top mechanisms and cause it to malfunction or not work. so I think I'll be ordering the panel.

Regards

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Interesting... Do you have a picture of the panels? Also, did the dealer give you a reason why GM stopped using them? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Mine is an '06 V and it's got the top/trunk mechanisms exposed also. I had a minor concern about it just like yours, Jerry. You mentioned '07, but maybe it was any V of any year (slight weight savings)?

·
Registered
168 Posts
I checked my collision repair software and they show nothing to cover the top mechanicals... do you have a part number available?

·
Registered
553 Posts
I checked my '06 "V" and there is a material that is stretched across the back, it seems to be attached to a hanger hook in the center.

Floyd

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts
I think the "panel" nomenclature may be a little confusing. There's a fabric cover that is attached with bungie cords at both both sides and hung by a clip in the middle of the forward end of the rear compartment that covers the front tonneau linkages. Behind it, nearly dead center, is the front tonneau position sensor. It's more cosmetic than protective, though I guess it's better than nothing.

CC :cheers

·
Premium Member
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think Floyd and CC hit it on the head. It's a fabric cover that may provide some protection to the top mechanisms.

mtrocket: No I don't have a part number yet but will post it and the cost when I do.

I'll reserve my comments about vechicle cost savings until I see what the panel costs.

Let's all not forget the $1,000 aluminum console trim plate that a lot of us observed "dings" on. (FWIW: I asked and got mine replaced under warranty).

Regards

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I promised an update on the parts list for the "panel/screen in the trunk.

The dealer is saying that it may be discontinued and not available for order. He is checking.......lets hope not!!!

Another item that has hit the "discontinued" list is the XLR-V Air deflector behind the grill to move air away for the mass air sensor. so unless somebody pops up with a replacement part anyone wanting one of these items may just have to fabricate it from now on.

I hope we aren't in the early stages of the "disappearing parts' syndrome that impacts all cancelled vechicles............

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
I promised an update on the parts list for the "panel/screen in the trunk.

The dealer is saying that it may be discontinued and not available for order. He is checking.......lets hope not!!!

Another item that has hit the "discontinued" list is the XLR-V Air deflector behind the grill to move air away for the mass air sensor. so unless somebody pops up with a replacement part anyone wanting one of these items may just have to fabricate it from now on.

I hope we aren't in the early stages of the "disappearing parts' syndrome that impacts all cancelled vechicles............
Generally the after market picks up the slack when it comes to discontinued OEM parts for decades after a model has been discontinued. However, when it comes to the XLR-V the fact that less than 2200 of them actually exist there could be a problem with "V" specific parts. Luckily the same engine is used in the STS-V so there should not be a problem with engine parts. However, those little obscure "V" parts could become a factor. My factory warranty is good until 2014 so GM has to maintain enough parts to cover all the warranties until all of the 2009 warranties have expired. At least in theory they should....

·
Premium Member
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Premium Member
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
UPDATE:

Well after some extended checking the "official Cadillac position" is that this part is not made anymore.

Here's the information I was able to turn up at the dealers just in case somebody knows how to trace the parts back to the actual manufacturer.

2004-2009 Y Trim/Rear Compartment

Part # 15940142 Group 15.222 Description CARPET, R/CMPT FLR PNL W/O SHADE
Part# NPN Group NS SHADE, LUGG (W/CARGO NET)

Unfortunately, they can't tell what the pricing was since its not sold anymore.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
UPDATE:

Well after some extended checking the "official Cadillac position" is that this part is not made anymore.

Here's the information I was able to turn up at the dealers just in case somebody knows how to trace the parts back to the actual manufacturer.

2004-2009 Y Trim/Rear Compartment

Part # 15940142 Group 15.222 Description CARPET, R/CMPT FLR PNL W/O SHADE
Part# NPN Group NS SHADE, LUGG (W/CARGO NET)

Unfortunately, they can't tell what the pricing was since its not sold anymore.
I'm confused as to what the part is. Does anyone have a picture?

·
Premium Member
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Open your trunk and take the top separator down. Then bend over and look straight back to the area that is behind your seats.

If you see a lot of mechanical stuff then you don't have the fabric cover. (I'm betting you don't)

It is/was attached to the carpet on the lower side and as CC said in his last post--stretched across end to end to hide and in my assessment protect the mechanicals when you have the top up and luggage or other items stored in the trunk.

Somebody in their infinite wisdom decided not to include it from we think 2007 on.

I hope this helps.

Regards

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think Floyd and CC hit it on the head. It's a fabric cover that may provide some protection to the top mechanisms.

mtrocket: No I don't have a part number yet but will post it and the cost when I do.

I'll reserve my comments about vechicle cost savings until I see what the panel costs.

Let's all not forget the $1,000 aluminum console trim plate that a lot of us observed "dings" on. (FWIW: I asked and got mine replaced under warranty).

Regards

Fabric cover is all they ever used to the best of my knowledge. I have an 04 XLR and an 06 XLR-V and both have the same cover.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts