Cadillac XLR Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my XLR with only one fob and no trunk key. I went to a GM Dealership asked them to make me a trunk key they went on their computer and found out that GM will not release the information needed to cut a new key. I asked what can I do I need the key my car is at the shop and they need to get into the trunk. Basically he told me I'm on my own.

Does anyone know how I could get a new trunk key and another fob.???

·
Registered
43 Posts
Have you tried a locksmith? As for the fob, they are available on ebay, but you need to have it programmed by a dealership. I tried following the do it yourself method without success. You are welcome to try (after you have a key), but be warned that after 3 unsuccessful tries the fob will be ruined. I have a few spares if you have trouble finding the fob. Let me know if you need further assistance. Where are you located?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your response. I have a locksmith coming over tomorrow we will see how that goes. Since I've already been to the dealership and he told me that GM wouldn't release the information to cut a new key I'm wondering if they will program a new fob? I will have to give them a call. I'm in Punta Gorda, Florida

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have ordered a new fob from a local Cadillac dealer and had them program it. It's a little expensive, but I had no luck programming the fob myself. Good luck on your key and fob.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Everything is expensive with this Car. Thanks for your help..
your dealer is incorrect. they can order a new key from GM . All they need is proof of ownership and most likely prepaid. Someone is giving you incorrect information. to program a fob is really not that hard .a lot of people do it no problem and some do have problems. You just need to make sure if you have fob 1 or fob 2 that you are not tring to program 2 of the same fobs. Thats will not work. Also the newer fobs work o nthe older car but the old fobs will not work o nthe new cars. Did you contact Crest CAddy? Any Gm dealer should be able to order a key. I just had one for about 65$ a few weeks ago for a customer. I would not waste time with a lock smith. They are most likely not going to be able to make one that will work and if they do it will be a lot more than the dealer

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info. I will try again but last time I got a copy of the key information request from the dealer to GM. The printout came back with all my car information on it except the key code needed to make the key. That's when he told me he can't produce a key for me. The only Fob I have is the #2 Fob.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I have a 2004 and found out that you must have the trunk key to program your new key fob.
You must bring any old and new fob and then turn the trunk key 5 times within 5 seconds, then the programmin sequence starting in the display.
Search on AC Delco key fob programming instuctions.

Best Regards

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for your reply. I had the trunk key made by a locksmith and it fits the lock but when you turn it the key turns freely and didn't open the lock. The mechanic finally got it open but what a nightmare. Now it turns out that the guy that changed a few of my top pumps disconnected the computers now I'm waiting to see how the programing goes from here to get the car to run again.

Hello, I have a 2004 and found out that you must have the trunk key to program your new key fob.
You must bring any old and new fob and then turn the trunk key 5 times within 5 seconds, then the programmin sequence starting in the display.
Search on AC Delco key fob programming instuctions.

Best Regards

·
Registered
39 Posts
the trunk key in the bumper is an emergency key. It does not open the trunk. it unlocks it so you can maually lift the trunk if the battery is dead so you can then pull the release to open the doormthen the hood to charge the battery. once unlocked the trunk has to be lifted properly . That means lifting and pulling back on the trunk at the xame time. If not done properly the corners of the trunk will drag and crack the fiberglass. Many do not see it until later .Might want to check out those corners and make sure you get a tech that knows the cars when working on them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts