Cadillac XLR Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thanks again for everyones input on this issue. Indeed my trunk latch problem is identical to San Diego XLR's. Additionally, I think the most likely cause of the problem is xlrlist01 scenario. It makes the most sense and describes the problem to a tee. I guess its just a small quirk that we as XLR owners have to live with to enjoy such an awesome car. ( I was at a gas station the other day when a gentleman ask what kind of car it was and if I minded if he took a picture). I wonder how many other sport cars owners get that request. Thanks again for everyones input and I hope this helped other owners. Henry

·
Registered
2 Posts
Trunk opening problem

My problem is completely sporadic.
Sometimes the trunk works great for a few weeks.
Other times (as often as every other day) the trunk refuses to open with the remote, the interior trunk release button (switch is enabled in glovebox), or the exterior release touch pad. Often I can walk away, come back 20 minutes later, and then the remote works again to raise the trunk.

When I press the button to lower the lid- 50% of the time it works with no issues, 30% of the time the pump will run for a bit and lower part of the lid a few inches and then die, 20% of the time the lid is completely dead (no sound from the pump or movement at all when the trunk lid close button is pressed).

The car is a daily driver, so the battery is in constant use.
And as luck would I have it...I'd imagine when I take it to the dealership- it's going to be one of the days it decides to cooperate.

Thank goodness the convertible button always works to open/close the lid, or I'd be in trouble having my work laptop held hostage in the trunk!!

·
Premium Member
1,948 Posts
The starting point is to get them to run the Tech II Diagnostics (CC is the site expert) and to ensure that all of the switches and solinoids are the latest versions. (There were enhancements made over the years). Finally, ensure that you have the latest top sofware loaded.

Please let us know how your issue is resolved. This is important feedback for others who may experience the same problem.

Thanks and good luck.

Jerry

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
343 Posts
My problem is completely sporadic.
Sometimes the trunk works great for a few weeks.
Other times (as often as every other day) the trunk refuses to open with the remote, the interior trunk release button (switch is enabled in glovebox), or the exterior release touch pad. Often I can walk away, come back 20 minutes later, and then the remote works again to raise the trunk.

When I press the button to lower the lid- 50% of the time it works with no issues, 30% of the time the pump will run for a bit and lower part of the lid a few inches and then die, 20% of the time the lid is completely dead (no sound from the pump or movement at all when the trunk lid close button is pressed).

The car is a daily driver, so the battery is in constant use.
And as luck would I have it...I'd imagine when I take it to the dealership- it's going to be one of the days it decides to cooperate.

Thank goodness the convertible button always works to open/close the lid, or I'd be in trouble having my work laptop held hostage in the trunk!!
Humm.

I suspect multiple problems.

As already mentioned by Jerry, a Tech-2 scan is indicated.

On my '04, the turn signals flash when I open the trunk with the remote. Do yours? If not, suspect the battery in the remote? Given a replacement battery is what, $2? it is a low cost replacement. Be aware though that it is vital to keep the battery and contacts 100% clean. The grease of your fingerprints is enough to cause problems, so I always hold a battery with a Kleenex or similar, never touch the surface. If you do, use contact cleaner to clean both the battery and the contacts.

What is the fluid level in the hydraulic reservoir?

HTHs

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Updated trunk/top release problem

Once again my intermittent trunk release problem has reoccured. I check the battery and it was working on a full charge. I took my XLR to the Cadillac dealership yesterday for their suggestions. They have a mechanic that has extensive training and certification on XLR's. After describing my problem he researched GM's data base and found that there have been 4 software updates that had not been installed on my car concerning the various problems with the trunk opening and closing as well as opening and closing of the hard top. My car still had the original software package. He update the software and also gave me a copy of the GM bulletin concerning the trunk problem. He felt like this would probably fix my issue. Given that it is an intermittent problem, only time will tell if this is the final resolution. Hope this helps. BTW the dealership did the software update without charge. Further updates as warranted. Henry

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Technical Service Bulletin

Here is the Bulletin information. #03-08-67-008D: Diagnostic Information and New Software for Power Folding Top - Stops Mid-Cycle, Deck Lid (trunk) Inoperative, Intermittent Top Not Secure Message on Dic with No DTSs Set - (Feb 12, 2009) Replaces Bulletin 03-08-67-008c (section 8) This service bulletin covers all model years. Hope this provides the info you were asking for. As this is such a difficult problem to diagnose and fix, I hope this info is indeed the simply answer to a frustrating problem. Stay tuned for futher updates. Henry

·
Registered
7 Posts
Here is the Bulletin information. #03-08-67-008D: Diagnostic Information and New Software for Power Folding Top - Stops Mid-Cycle, Deck Lid (trunk) Inoperative, Intermittent Top Not Secure Message on Dic with No DTSs Set - (Feb 12, 2009) Replaces Bulletin 03-08-67-008c (section 8) This service bulletin covers all model years. Hope this provides the info you were asking for. As this is such a difficult problem to diagnose and fix, I hope this info is indeed the simply answer to a frustrating problem. Stay tuned for futher updates. Henry

Very interesting. I have had the same problem with my 2004 from time to time and also the top has stopped working. In the past 2 years the folding top motor module has been replaced 4 times. the first time there was a shorted out module and module was replaced. 10 months later an open was found in the thermistor circuit and module was replaced (it was determined that circuit 474 and 476 were the problems). 5 months later the the hydraulic fluid leaked out and module was replaced. 4 months later there was an intermittent open in the temperature sensor and module was replaced. Now 4 months later (today), same problem top or trunk will not open. It seems that after 5 different replacements of the same part that something else is causing this issue. The car now sits at the dealer, 400 miles out of warranty and I still have no answer after 7 hours.

During this same time period the service ride control module has been replaced 2 times (at the same time as the top motor module).

This does make me wonder what the common point between both of these modules is. 5 different motors failing within 2 years??? I've never seen the same part fail that many times.

No one can tell me if circuits 474 and 476 were ever checked again to see if they still worked properly or why this was not replaced.

I will have to check and see what the latest software update is in the system. Does anyone have the version for the update? No technical service bulletins were ever brought to my attention during this time period

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is an adjusment and a lubrication issue. I experienced this on my 2004 a couple of times. It is as you know very important NOT to force the passengers window in any way when this occurs or you will have a passenger seat full of glass.

My suggestion is:

1. Initiate the top lowering process and stop it when the wing window is clear from the rubber moulding it usually goes into. Then take your fingers and be sure that the molding is seated on both theinner and outer fender. You can usually see marks on the rubber if it is not where it is supposed to be. Then lubricate it with a small amount of WD-40 or a rubber dressing.

Recycle the top up and down again several times if it is working properly. if not, and if you are knowedgable and brave enough, attempt to lower the top againbut stop the process when you can see the rear wing window frame and the adjustment rod. Loosen the locking nut one flat on the nut and take the rod clip off at one end. Mark the rod where it is and then turn it a little to shorten it about two threads. Then reassemble and try again to raise and lower the top. Continue the process with small adjustments until it works or you give up and take it to the dealer.

Either way :cheers and celebrate that it now works and nothing got broken.

Please let us know how it comes out.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
I find this interesting as our 08 has a similar problem.Our wing window doesn't go out far enough so when the window closes there is a gap. When i initiated the top up, i have to push the wing window out about an inch to get it in the proper position. Pain in the ass. We found this out the hard way while going through the car wash. OY

21 - 29 of 29 Posts