Cadillac XLR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi forum, My car is a 2004 model. Just encountered a problem when closing the top today. When the top was being closed, the small window behind the passenger window didn't go into the designed slot properly. The window bottom extended outwards further than it should. It prevented the passenger window from going up on the outside of the small window. I reopened the top and found that that window seems to have a bit more play in it than the drivers side small window. I looked and didn't see anything that seemed out of place or particularly loose. I'm just wondering if this is a frequently problem with a simple adjustment, or if this is something that only a dealer should adjust/repair. Thanks for your time and information. P.S. I have the GMPP. Henry

·
Premium Member
1,948 Posts
Hi forum, My car is a 2004 model. Just encountered a problem when closing the top today. When the top was being closed, the small window behind the passenger window didn't go into the designed slot properly. The window bottom extended outwards further than it should. It prevented the passenger window from going up on the outside of the small window. I reopened the top and found that that window seems to have a bit more play in it than the drivers side small window. I looked and didn't see anything that seemed out of place or particularly loose. I'm just wondering if this is a frequently problem with a simple adjustment, or if this is something that only a dealer should adjust/repair. Thanks for your time and information. P.S. I have the GMPP. Henry
This is an adjusment and a lubrication issue. I experienced this on my 2004 a couple of times. It is as you know very important NOT to force the passengers window in any way when this occurs or you will have a passenger seat full of glass.

My suggestion is:

1. Initiate the top lowering process and stop it when the wing window is clear from the rubber moulding it usually goes into. Then take your fingers and be sure that the molding is seated on both theinner and outer fender. You can usually see marks on the rubber if it is not where it is supposed to be. Then lubricate it with a small amount of WD-40 or a rubber dressing.

Recycle the top up and down again several times if it is working properly. if not, and if you are knowedgable and brave enough, attempt to lower the top againbut stop the process when you can see the rear wing window frame and the adjustment rod. Loosen the locking nut one flat on the nut and take the rod clip off at one end. Mark the rod where it is and then turn it a little to shorten it about two threads. Then reassemble and try again to raise and lower the top. Continue the process with small adjustments until it works or you give up and take it to the dealer.

Either way :cheers and celebrate that it now works and nothing got broken.

Please let us know how it comes out.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fixed

Again, thanks for the info. I decided to let the local dealership do the adjustment. The service advisor said it was not uncommon for the top to need adjusting from time to time. They did the adjustment in about an hour and the top now works as designed.

·
Premium Member
1,948 Posts
Again, thanks for the info. I decided to let the local dealership do the adjustment. The service advisor said it was not uncommon for the top to need adjusting from time to time. They did the adjustment in about an hour and the top now works as designed.
See now you get to have a beer and wait for even Florida to warm up somemore so you can put the top down.

Regards

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good morning all, I am having an issue with my XLR (2004) top that I thought I would throw at the experts. A few weeks ago my top would not open using the key fob. After numerous attempts and a few minutes of my time it eventually opened, first intermittently and then completely. About a week later the same thing occurred. It sounds like the trunk is trying to release but won't. If I get in the car and start it up, the top opens and closes perfectly using the button on the console. Before I take it to the dealership, I thought I'd run it by the pros and get your thoughts. Thanks for your time and answers, Sincerely Henry

·
Premium Member
1,948 Posts
Henry:

If you got the top to open with the key fob I want to come down and see you do it.

I would look and be sure that nothing is in the way of the top operation in the trunk and that the package separator is in place correctly. Remember nothing can be under the area where the top goes.

Also check to be sure that the fluid hose is not hampered in any way so that the hydraulics perform as intended. The hose runs up the passenger side of the top.

Of course you could be low on fluid but then there would be a leak.

Regards

·
Registered
51 Posts
I think he means the trunk will not open using the fob but does with the top switch. He should try the trunk release on the dash and see if that works. He should also replace the battery in the fob to see if that helps. Doug-J

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Trunk opening problem

I should have been more specific. DTS Diamond is correct. I should have said : I cannot open the trunk with the key fob, however the trunk will open and close if I put the top up or down with the console toggle. I have replaced the key fob battery recently, so that should not be the issue. When you press the key fob you can here the trunk trying to release, but it does not. Just was wondering if anyone else had same issue. By the way Jerry, you have to admit being able to put the top down with the key fob would have been a nice feature. Take care guys and thanks for the replies. Henry

·
Registered
190 Posts
I had a similar problem recently, but it only happened once and releasing the FOB button and pressing it again opened the trunk for me. I am visiting the dealer tomorrow for a different issue and will inquire to see if they have experienced this problem with other XLRs. With mine, I could hear the pump running and see the trunk lift a little, but it seemed as though the latch had not released.

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts
DTS Diamond asked the right question: Does the trunklid raise when the dash-mounted switch (not to be confused with the folding top control switch) is depressed? Also, are the symptoms identical with the other fob? This will help determine if it's a latch, switch, or fob issue.

The world waits . . .

CC :seeya

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I haven't check the dashboard release yet. I'll do that this afternoon and let you know the answer. Neither key fob will open the trunk every time. The fobs release the trunk intermittently. Sometimes it will open the trunk but the close button on the inside of the trunk will not close the trunk, or it will close the trunk partially. At that point I have to start the car and use the top toggle switch to close the trunk. Again, thanks to all for your time and expertise. Henry

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Trunk release problem

I tried the dashboard trunk release button and it worked. I then tried the key fob trunk release button, it also worked fine. I then used the trunk closure button inside the trunk, it also worked perfectly. Whatever the problem is, it's intermittent. Stay tuned. Henry

·
Registered
343 Posts
Good morning all, I am having an issue with my XLR (2004) top that I thought I would throw at the experts. A few weeks ago my top would not open using the key fob. After numerous attempts and a few minutes of my time it eventually opened, first intermittently and then completely. About a week later the same thing occurred. It sounds like the trunk is trying to release but won't. If I get in the car and start it up, the top opens and closes perfectly using the button on the console. Before I take it to the dealership, I thought I'd run it by the pros and get your thoughts. Thanks for your time and answers, Sincerely Henry
This sounds like the low battery problem I have already described? The motor is running but the trunk lid is stuck down right? Start the engine and all is perfect (because of the higher voltage)? Yes to all of those, keep reading.

Let me guess, when you switch the engine off, does the odometer display for 15-20 seconds (correct) or just flash (incorrect).

If the odometer just flashes, test the battery. You should have around 12.8v or more. 12.3v or less is a discharged battery, 12.5v indicates problems. You could try a battery tender to see if it fixes it, but experience indicates that a battery showing 12.3v or below is probably sulphated and is unlikely to recovery properly, fit a new battery. The Delco one is expensive but does at least have the correct specification. The -7YR is a better warranty over the -6YR and is a slightly more powerful battery.

See:
http://www.xlrforum.com/showthread.php?t=6450
http://www.xlrforum.com/showthread.php?t=6423

HTHs

·
Registered
2 Posts
Similar Trunk Lid Gremlin Problem

Hi Henry- did you ever figure out what is wrong with your trunk? My 2005 is doing the exact same thing. The trunk lid seems to have a mind of its own- very sporadic operation.

Sometimes it opens with the fob or the touchpad by the license plate, and quite often it doesn't. I'll hear the trunk unlatch, but 30-50% of the time, it won't raise. I'll get in the car and press the trunk release unlock button with the motor running and same thing- hear it unlatch but it often won't raise.

What's weird is I'll walk away (e.g. at the grocery store)- come back 10 minutes later, and it will open with the fob.
I have problems lowering it too- about 30% of the time I'll press the button on the trunk, it will lower for a split second and stall, hit it again- lower for a split second, and then stall....then it just totally dies while still raised.

The fix I've found it to turn the car on, and use the convertible top switch to lower or raise the dead trunk. Thank goodness for this- or I'd be too afraid to put anything in the trunk for fear of not having access to it.

The odometer doesn't flash when the car turns off...so I don't think it's a car battery issue. The fact that all the other buttons work fine on the fob makes me think it's not a battery fob issue.

My car is off of warranty, so I wanted to know if you guys had any idea what's going on before I take it to the dealer and they charge me some major $$$ just to diagnose the problem.

Other than that, I've been an owner since Sept 2009, and absolutely love the car! There's hardly any in Southern Cal. I usually see 10-20+ MB SL500s a day, but very few XLRs (probably only 10 total over the past 6 years) ;-)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update.... The trunk problem seems to have gone away for the time being. I investigated the low battery issue and found no evidence to that end. As this seems to be an intermittent problem, I'll update as warranted. Thanks again for all the great advise and suggestions. Henry

·
Registered
343 Posts
Hi Henry- did you ever figure out what is wrong with your trunk? My 2005 is doing the exact same thing. The trunk lid seems to have a mind of its own- very sporadic operation.

Sometimes it opens with the fob or the touchpad by the license plate, and quite often it doesn't. I'll hear the trunk unlatch, but 30-50% of the time, it won't raise. I'll get in the car and press the trunk release unlock button with the motor running and same thing- hear it unlatch but it often won't raise.

What's weird is I'll walk away (e.g. at the grocery store)- come back 10 minutes later, and it will open with the fob.
I have problems lowering it too- about 30% of the time I'll press the button on the trunk, it will lower for a split second and stall, hit it again- lower for a split second, and then stall....then it just totally dies while still raised.

The fix I've found it to turn the car on, and use the convertible top switch to lower or raise the dead trunk. Thank goodness for this- or I'd be too afraid to put anything in the trunk for fear of not having access to it.

The odometer doesn't flash when the car turns off...so I don't think it's a car battery issue. The fact that all the other buttons work fine on the fob makes me think it's not a battery fob issue.

My car is off of warranty, so I wanted to know if you guys had any idea what's going on before I take it to the dealer and they charge me some major $$$ just to diagnose the problem.

Other than that, I've been an owner since Sept 2009, and absolutely love the car! There's hardly any in Southern Cal. I usually see 10-20+ MB SL500s a day, but very few XLRs (probably only 10 total over the past 6 years) ;-)
These symptoms sound different from the first ones in the thread.

If I read you correctly, the trunk lid unlatches just fine, but fails to lift (or sometimes fails to close)? The question to ask is "is the hydraulic pump motor running?". The noise of the pump running is distinctive, and also puts a sufficient load on the alternator that you can hear a slight change in the note of the running engine too. At a guess you have problems with the sensors in the trunk opening system.

To match the symptoms at the start of this thread, when opening the trunk, the pump is running and the wings of the trunk lid lift (the top seems to swell upwards). However, because the latch was slow to release, the trunk lid stays trapped down, held by the catch. This is caused by the latch, and I can see only two root causes:

1/ Low battery voltage

2/ Defective catch.

For reasons best left to themselves, Cadillac engineers did not include a signal to confirm that the latch has released before the pump motor starts to lift the trunk lid. The design they have implemented assumes that the latch releases very quickly, before the top has lifted far enough to become jammed. I consider it a poor design, but there we are. By running the engine, the voltage is higher and the latch releases more quickly, enabling the top to lift free.

HTHs

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts
Here's another suggestion: The next time you lower the trunk from the rear of the car, don't just press the switch momentarily, hold it in for two or three seconds as it starts to move. This enabled mine to shut normally, and I used this method successfully three or four times. I had what I thought was a bad switch, but like your problem, it went away and hasn't returned. Whenever it stopped moving, the pump had stopped as well.

CC :seeya

1 - 20 of 29 Posts