Cadillac XLR Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got the check engine light off with replacement of the passenger side Catalytic converter. Oh you can replace the converter without investing in the entire header assembly. However , a day later the top started acting weird. Deck lid struggled. covers behind the seat worked fine everything worked slow but eventually worked. Never did this before. Ideas?

·
Registered
67 Posts
tell us what you used and time and cost please. thats how you help future owners with the same problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Went to a local muffler shop. He was familiar with the Northstar, apparently firing is different. He determined that the codes were for the passanger side not the driver side. Two other well established mechanics told me the exact
opposite. Also Flowmaster told me that I would have to replace the entire assembly, headers and converter. After several conversations with other so called experts they all told me cutting the converter out and replacing it could not be done. Well good news is the muffler shop didn't know it could not be done. He did it, cost $800 rather than $2500. So dont buy the convert header assembly replace the converter it can be done!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Went to a local muffler shop. He was familiar with the Northstar, apparently firing is different. He determined that the codes were for the passanger side not the driver side. Two other well established mechanics told me the exact
opposite. Also Flowmaster told me that I would have to replace the entire assembly, headers and converter. After several conversations with other so called experts they all told me cutting the converter out and replacing it could not be done. Well good news is the muffler shop didn't know it could not be done. He did it, cost $800 rather than $2500. So dont buy the convert header assembly replace the converter it can be done!

thats not bad .The last one I had done was only1000 with the whole header/cat assembly bolted in, direct fit .725 for the part and 200 labor. It was carb certified and a lot of the plan cats you buy are not .Many states require carb certification. Good savings over dealer price .Hope it holds up as well. keep us posted thanks maybe post the part number of the cat he used so others may try that instead.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts