Cadillac XLR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 XLR. I have had it stored in the garage the last year. Of course when I tried to fight it wouldn't do I put in a brand new battery. Now the trunk and the top will not work. I took it to the Cadillac dealership yesterday and I checked it for two and a half hours. The verdict was they thought I needed new modules are the Trunks and top if they can find the parts it would probably be around $3,500!! The car has 186000 miles on it. It runs perfect the only other problem I have are the door buttons are pushed in. They said they would have to take the whole door apart it may not be able to find the parts to fix it with so I just use the Lever on
the floor. I had it painted less than 2 years ago and that cost me $5,000. I can't afford to put that much money back into the top in the trunk. Any suggestions or any buyers out there? Oh they said at the Cadillac dealership when they were in the trunk checking on the module what it look like they had got wet

·
Registered
166 Posts
sorry for your loss but thats about what they cost to repair. Actually that a little low for a dealer charge.
the door switches I think are available but the top modules run about 800 new and I have them and to set the m about 300. The usually will just plug in and work
the suspension modules used run about 3000 used. I sent you a pm

·
Registered
1 Posts
sorry for your loss but thats about what they cost to repair. Actually that a little low for a dealer charge.
the door switches I think are available but the top modules run about 800 new and I have them and to set the m about 300. The usually will just plug in and work
the suspension modules used run about 3000 used. I sent you a pm
Your door switch contact are corroded. Simply remove the switch, file the corrosion off the contacts, and replace the switch.
I also had to do this with my trunk switch.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2005 XLR. I have had it stored in the garage the last year. Of course when I tried to fight it wouldn't do I put in a brand new battery. Now the trunk and the top will not work. I took it to the Cadillac dealership yesterday and I checked it for two and a half hours. The verdict was they thought I needed new modules are the Trunks and top if they can find the parts it would probably be around $3,500!! The car has 186000 miles on it. It runs perfect the only other problem I have are the door buttons are pushed in. They said they would have to take the whole door apart it may not be able to find the parts to fix it with so I just use the Lever on
the floor. I had it painted less than 2 years ago and that cost me $5,000. I can't afford to put that much money back into the top in the trunk. Any suggestions or any buyers out there? Oh they said at the Cadillac dealership when they were in the trunk checking on the module what it look like they had got wet
I trust so little of what a Cadillac dealer tells me...I have a 2004 / 133k milage... and heard so much crap from 2 Cadillac dealers on what "needs to be done"...After replacing the battery did the dealer "not" do a relearn? Over 12 years I replaced the battery 4 times. twice the dealer did the relearn, twice I found over a period days everything came back online, in other words the computer taught itself to bring top, trunk, locks, mirrors, windows etc back online. As far as leaving the car sit for a year unattended, well, that's on you. Door buttons I found on Ebay, about $20, the tool to pop the door panel available at Advance Auto Parts for about $8. It will take you 30/45 min to replace the button. Also the door latch releases where you reach to pull door open, about $50 a pair.It will take 5min to replace those. I have found so many OEM parts online at reasonable costs. If your capable of doing your own work, Rock Auto is great for many OEM parts. I've done my shocks, pads, rotors (upgraded to drilled out rotors) and more. I can list sights to find interior parts, odds and ends, burn out headlights etc, if you like.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2004 XLR with the situation similar to yours. I also got the Caddy Dealer to check mine with the same results. I got lucky and had a friend who is a retired SAAB/Caddy serviceman take a look at my Top/Truck problem, turned out to be the 2- leaking main hydraulic cylinders for the Top/Truck. I sent them off to TOP Hydraulics in Oregon for a rebuild. It is common that if the trunk does leak, the modules can be ruined if the drains are plugged! Check and see if your fluid level is down and if there are signs of flooding in both of the pits that hold mods! Hope this helps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Can you elaborate on what you are calling modules ? I am more interested in Thermistor type switches, described as potentiometers in Top Cylinders videos. It seems they are inexpensive and/ or adjustable or can be modified ....

·
Registered
166 Posts
there are two modules in the trunk . One for the top. IT is basically the computer for the top functions .One for the suspension. The top one is basicilly the same on all cars.. Early first year cars 04 and some 05 needed an update Buying a new module saves that 200 dealer only fee if you buy an old used one off ebay. I sell new ones cheaper than used ones. The potentiometers are not adjustable. they are not cheap. they bring 4-500 each on ebay and I sell them for 350 each to forum members. There are three per car. All the same. They have to be calibrated by the tech 2 as they have a range of operation. There are also several switches on the top like two on the front latch one on the corner to show the top is down and one to show the cargo cover is in place .plus the trunk lock switch is also a part of the system. The Thermistor is located in the bottom of the pump. It tells if the pump is overheating, working too hard and also if the system is too cold to work. I am looking into understanding it a biit more. If the fluid level is low the pump works harder. if the cylinders are worn it works harder and if the trunk struts are bad it has the whole weight of the top to lift which burns out the motor. SO keep the fluid topped off, and make sure your struts are good .

·
Registered
15 Posts
there are two modules in the trunk . One for the top. IT is basically the computer for the top functions .One for the suspension. The top one is basicilly the same on all cars.. Early first year cars 04 and some 05 needed an update Buying a new module saves that 200 dealer only fee if you buy an old used one off ebay. I sell new ones cheaper than used ones. The potentiometers are not adjustable. they are not cheap. they bring 4-500 each on ebay and I sell them for 350 each to forum members. There are three per car. All the same. They have to be calibrated by the tech 2 as they have a range of operation. There are also several switches on the top like two on the front latch one on the corner to show the top is down and one to show the cargo cover is in place .plus the trunk lock switch is also a part of the system. The Thermistor is located in the bottom of the pump. It tells if the pump is overheating, working too hard and also if the system is too cold to work. I am looking into understanding it a biit more. If the fluid level is low the pump works harder. if the cylinders are worn it works harder and if the trunk struts are bad it has the whole weight of the top to lift which burns out the motor. SO keep the fluid topped off, and make sure your struts are good .
Can you elaborate on where and how to fill the fluid for the cylinders for the top?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Many thanks for the clarity. Spring soon arrives and the unknown begins !

·
Registered
166 Posts
Can you elaborate on where and how to fill the fluid for the cylinders for the top?
the pump is in the left rear cubby in the trunk. it has a little metal plug in it that you remove to add fluid. There should be a line on the plastic clear housing that shows the full and low limits. Some pump reservoirs have been replaced and may not have the marks. I f yours does not let me know and I will send a photo to show how much it should have .

·
Registered
5 Posts
just found out one of my switches is bad. he called it the roof limiter switch but it may be called something else ending in -meter. they are not the latch switches but one of the three u were talking about. have any to sell? thx.

·
Registered
5 Posts
hi. just found out that one of the three switches u are talking about is bad. have any to sell? thx

·
Registered
119 Posts
the pump is in the left rear cubby in the trunk. it has a little metal plug in it that you remove to add fluid. There should be a line on the plastic clear housing that shows the full and low limits. Some pump reservoirs have been replaced and may not have the marks. I f yours does not let me know and I will send a photo to show how much it should have .
THAT IS A CLOSED SYSTEM AND THE OIL SHOULD NOT BE LOW UNLESS YOU HAVE A LEAK. THE LEAK NEEDS TO BE FIXED FIRST, ESPECIALLY THE ONE ABOVE THE HEADLINER.

·
Registered
166 Posts
THAT IS A CLOSED SYSTEM AND THE OIL SHOULD NOT BE LOW UNLESS YOU HAVE A LEAK. THE LEAK NEEDS TO BE FIXED FIRST, ESPECIALLY THE ONE ABOVE THE HEADLINER.
Actually you can have a low systsm without a leak. As the unit gets old and internal filters stop up, fluid can remain in the cylinders and line and not all of it return . also the fluid plus wear to the hoses and cylinders turns to sludge which can cause the level to be low. if you fill it and it leaks of course repair the leak.

·
Registered
15 Posts
IN the Trunk on left hand side is where you fill the Hydrolic fluid. I have an issue though on the passenger side right by the headrest, all the fluid is leaking, do I have to take off the whole inside lininng and can anyone tell me if there are 2 or 3 hose lines for the top, weird t hat allt he diagrams show these lines go on the drivers side but my car it's on the passenger side. Also the trunk is going down very slowly now.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts