Cadillac XLR Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The outside temp displayed in the GPS window does not appear to update properly when the car is first started in the morning. For example, with the car in the garage at night, when I start up the car the temperature is showing at 55°. I know it is at least 70° outside so with the top down I start cruising around. It takes about an hour for the display to accurately reflect the current temperature. It does not gradually move up to 70°, but all of a sudden, after about one hour it will automatically update itself to 70°.

The one reason why I am worried about this is that I've been having air conditioning problems and the technicians at Cadillac indicate that the outside temperature display does have influence on the performance of the air-conditioning system. For example, (and here I exaggerate to show what I think I heard from the technician),if the temperature gauge was displaying 32° and it was actually 80° outside, the compressor would not come on.

Has anyone else experienced this?

· Registered
53 Posts
I've noticed the same thing. I think what's going on is that the temperature that is displayed is actually an average of several readings taken over a period of time and not an instantaneous reading. So, when you have your car in a cooler garage, the readings taken while it was in the garage get averaged with the readings that get taken after you take it out into warmer or cooler air outside the garage. I think it's taking tempeature measurements whether the car is running or not. Let's for the purposes of illustration say that the temperature displayed is an average of 10 temperatures that are taken one per minute. When you take your car out of the garage, and a new temperature reading is taken outside, the oldest reading from before is discarded and the new one added to the mix. But, there are still 9 garage temperature readings in the average. So, this tends to smooth out the readings so that there is a gradual change in temperatue displayed which is what I typically see. When all of the old garage readings roll off and are no longer included in the average, the temperature tends to indicate what the ambient outside air temperature actually is. Doing this helps smooth out wide swings in temperatue. That's just my impression, someone that knows more than me about the car can certainly chime in and correct me if I'm wrong.

· Registered
1,155 Posts
I've noticed the same thing. I think what's going on is that the temperature that is displayed is actually an average of several readings taken over a period of time and not an instantaneous reading. So, when you have your car in a cooler garage, the readings taken while it was in the garage get averaged with the readings that get taken after you take it out into warmer or cooler air outside the garage. I think it's taking tempeature measurements whether the car is running or not. Let's for the purposes of illustration say that the temperature displayed is an average of 10 temperatures that are taken one per minute. When you take your car out of the garage, and a new temperature reading is taken outside, the oldest reading from before is discarded and the new one added to the mix. But, there are still 9 garage temperature readings in the average. So, this tends to smooth out the readings so that there is a gradual change in temperatue displayed which is what I typically see. When all of the old garage readings roll off and are no longer included in the average, the temperature tends to indicate what the ambient outside air temperature actually is. Doing this helps smooth out wide swings in temperatue. That's just my impression, someone that knows more than me about the car can certainly chime in and correct me if I'm wrong.
Hi ebferro,
it sounds to me like your temp. sensor isn`t working right. On my XLR ( say inside garage was 65° - outside is 85°) it`ll show the correct outside temp. in about 3-4 minutes of driving.

Hans

· Registered
53 Posts
Hans:
Yes, that's exactly what I mean. Because it's averaging readings, it takes some period of time before it reads correctly. Anyway, I don't know that this is the case. Bob says his changes immediately but mine doesn't. It does take some period of time to read the correct temperature. I've an '07 V and I know Bob has an '06 V so maybe mine is messed up.
Ernie

· Registered
1,155 Posts
Hans, my gauge is always reading correctly. In the garage it maybe 60, when I pull out and it's 80 it reads 80, so I don't know what the problem is.................Ah yes................Gremlins
Bob, I don`t think so, because the temp sensor needs a couple of minutes for this change. This three to five minute period was on my Vette`s the same as on my DTS, my STS and now my STS V.

Check it out again on your V and maybe Hans is right:thumbs :lol

Ernie, if it works on yours like I did describe it I would say that`s OK.:yesnod

Hans

· Registered
1,155 Posts
Sure Hans, I didn't mean the minute I pull out of the garage I check it. Maybe when I get to my first light and putting my seat belt on I usually take a look at it.
The temperature here is usually the same except when winter comes, so I hardly check it.
BObo
:lol Bobo, you know Hans is allways right - s o m e t i m e s:glol

Hans

· Registered
1,155 Posts
Hans is smart, he told me so. You should have been running Germany in the 40's, maybe your army wouldn't have gone into Russia in the middle of winter and got there butts kicked. That one bad move turned the tide.
Bobo
Viva la Hans
We`ve talked about this on our long drives to RI and RII but it is unchangeable!!!

Did you get your XLR blanket yet?

Viva la Vegas

Hans

· Registered
1,155 Posts
Hans:

Have you seen any more on the new 4 seater Porsche over there???

They have been sending some of the XLR owners brouchers to garner up some interest.

Regards

Jerry
Jerry, I`ve seen one Panamera in July on the Autobahn when I was on the way to Luxembourg. The car had a lot of tape stuff around and I think some Porsche engeneers ( two persons in the car) drove it.
In a speed limited construction section we was side by side so I could take a closer look (speed limit was there 80kph - 50 mph) but they also noticed a very special car beside them, I was in my STS V.
When the speed limit ended we still was side by side and we both hit the gas pedal but it`s hard to hold up with a 476 hp Cadillac, I walked away:lol :thumbs
I`m sure the talked about me and they was wondering how a Cadillac could beat a Porsche!
To me it got the mixed look from the new 911 and the old V8 928, the front and rear is 928 and the side lines are stretched 911 lines.

Hans

· Registered
1,155 Posts
Hans, that's one Porche and one car with a horse on it in Vegas we beat up on. Does racing a Ferrari down the strip sound familiar?
Bob, very familiar:yesnod and I will never forget how bad this Ferrari looked when you had your XLR V up to about 90 mph and he was a couple of car lenghts behind us - and this was on the lower Las Vegas Strip:glol :glol :glol

Don`t mess with V`s

Hans

· Registered
1,155 Posts
I love when Hans comes over here and we go riding, nobody and I mean nobody has got my V's cherry yet, Can I say that on here without getting a ticket?
I will admit that I stay away from the big vettes
you are right Bob:thumbs

and anytime we was together we had the speedo-needle of your V past the 150

what a pleasure:lol :lol :lol

Hans

· Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hmmm- this post went from the temperature guage on the GPS screen to the tactical errors committed by Germany in WWII to the new 4-seater Porche to a STS-V drag racing a Pamamera on the Autobahn. We XLR owners know how to stay on point in this forum |:~)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts