Cadillac XLR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2005 XLR has new 4 new shocks and front end everything - rack, power steering pump, reservoir, tie rod ends, and tires; the steering, however, is now ridiculously stiff. It gets even worse at highway speeds and takes both hands to maneuver as if it's totally lost power steering.
Does anyone know how to remedy this? It's uncomfortable, worrisome, and possibly dangerous.
The shop that did the work says it handles fine; I fired them.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2005 XLR has new 4 new shocks and front end everything - rack, power steering pump, reservoir, tie rod ends, and tires; the steering, however, is now ridiculously stiff. It gets even worse at highway speeds and takes both hands to maneuver as if it's totally lost power steering.
Does anyone know how to remedy this? It's uncomfortable, worrisome, and possibly dangerous.
The shop that did the work says it handles fine; I fired them.
Thanks.
I'll be watching this one. Had extended carmax warranty, which btw we way won that one fiscally, lol, but we took it in for oil leaks, car max said bring it to us first, then they called and said no way for us, we are sending to Cadillac dealer. It arrives at Cadillac dealer and they quoted $8000 for oil leaks and a bunch of front end work. We were like wtf on the front end work it was fine when we dropped it off at carmax. Carmax Paid for everything no problem...like all the other repairs. But when we got it back, it was a lot more effort to steer. Not as bad as yours, but noticable when slow making turns, like power steering was only working at 50 percent. Took it back to dealer, they said it was fine and wouldn't do more work. That was about 20k miles ago and it still is the same.

·
Registered
30 Posts
when working properly steering on these cars can be done with your little pinky. why did you have the rack and all replaced? How many miles? where are you located? I would have a good alignment shop check it out and when they give you a quote to repair go back and demand that the first shop either repair or pay for the repairs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
when working properly steering on these cars can be done with your little pinky. why did you have the rack and all replaced? How many miles? where are you located? I would have a good alignment shop check it out and when they give you a quote to repair go back and demand that the first shop either repair or pay for the repairs.
Thanks for the reply, it had 80k miles and it was fine when dropped of so no idea what happened to front end. The shop was a local Cadillac dealer and was under car max warranty which always paid with no questions asked. In hindsight I should have pushed back harder, but it was at the dealer, guaranteed payment by warranty company and they insisted it was fine. Didn't know what else to do. Probably should have got second opinion. I guess I'll take it to front end shop and ask them what they think. It was a gm repair so it should be covered under that warranty since carmax one is long expired.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Steer with your little pinky, exactly, like it should, like it used to steer, just like my '98 Eldorado and '71 Coupe Deville did. I'm in the Tri-Cites, WA State by the infamous Hanford nuclear site. I was moving to AZ, so I had an independent shop here (they claimed to be more learned than the GM dealership) go through the XLR to make sure it was up to snuff. It had 89k on it, everything original. The shop said the shocks were shot, the rack was leaking, and the tie rods and other such things were worn out, so I had them fix and replace anything the car needed, fuel injectors and cabin filter included. I called GM as well as the local front-end/alignment shop; both said they had no clue how to address the steering issue. I won't let the shop that worked on the XLR touch it again. I despise those people. I paid them nearly 4k and the car now handles like a tank and grabs every rut in the road; it handled like a creampuff before those a-holes got ahold of it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I would look at your tires and see how the yappear. rub your hand across the face of the tire. is there and sharpness felt att he tread?the tire should feel nice and smooth. I would think they either got a bad rack depends on who rebuilt it . they could have crossed the lines to the radiator cooler from the power steering which would casue it to steer hard and fight the pump assistance . The alignment could be off . usually alignment casues it to wander so th t you constantly have to steer to keep it straight or if it does go straight and its toed in too much every little bump or ripple in the road will casue the car to dart and change directions. Very unsafe in the rain. the tie rods could be too stiff but usually they would loosen up after a while.I would look for an laignment shop i nthe area that does nto charge too much to just "check it" . some even have a machine you can just drive thru the service lane and the alignment will show up if its off. Check with your dealer and see if they have it .they most likely would nto charge just to do a drive thru. Also look for a corvette shop in the area and ask them for a road test to see what they think.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would look at your tires and see how the yappear. rub your hand across the face of the tire. is there and sharpness felt att he tread?the tire should feel nice and smooth. I would think they either got a bad rack depends on who rebuilt it . they could have crossed the lines to the radiator cooler from the power steering which would casue it to steer hard and fight the pump assistance . The alignment could be off . usually alignment casues it to wander so th t you constantly have to steer to keep it straight or if it does go straight and its toed in too much every little bump or ripple in the road will casue the car to dart and change directions. Very unsafe in the rain. the tie rods could be too stiff but usually they would loosen up after a while.I would look for an laignment shop i nthe area that does nto charge too much to just "check it" . some even have a machine you can just drive thru the service lane and the alignment will show up if its off. Check with your dealer and see if they have it .they most likely would nto charge just to do a drive thru. Also look for a corvette shop in the area and ask them for a road test to see what they think.
Thanks. I checked the tires (Pirelli Zero Nero), and they're all okay. The shop installed two racks, both from O'Reilly's. I questioned the rack's vs OEM, which are no longer made, and the mechanic said the replacement rack is manufactured by BBB. I had the rack, alignment, etc reinspected by another shop and again at the GM dealership; neither could find anything wrong, just that it steers and handles badly. I've driven the car maybe 100 miles since the repairs.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I would jack up the front in the middle and with the steering wheel unlocked see how hard it is to move the tires from side to side at the tire with it off the ground. Steering racks are not rocket science when it comes to rebuilding them and the problems they usually have is that they just leak. the shop sounds like they have something in a major bind for it to be that hard to steer if the alignment is all ok with it off the ground and the engine running the steering should work wit hthe wheel with almost no effort at all. if you have to work to turn it with the car running and it is not perfectly smooth while turning you have a blockage in the system. You would be able to feel it while turning the wheel as it meets some resistance while turning from lock to lock. They may also not have bleed it properly and it could still have air in the sytem but 100 miles is enough for tha tt owork its way out

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would jack up the front in the middle and with the steering wheel unlocked see how hard it is to move the tires from side to side at the tire with it off the ground. Steering racks are not rocket science when it comes to rebuilding them and the problems they usually have is that they just leak. the shop sounds like they have something in a major bind for it to be that hard to steer if the alignment is all ok with it off the ground and the engine running the steering should work wit hthe wheel with almost no effort at all. if you have to work to turn it with the car running and it is not perfectly smooth while turning you have a blockage in the system. You would be able to feel it while turning the wheel as it meets some resistance while turning from lock to lock. They may also not have bleed it properly and it could still have air in the sytem but 100 miles is enough for tha tt owork its way out
Great idea. I'll lift the front end and try that. Thanks. I'll let you know what happens.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts