Cadillac XLR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my new XLR last week. It is great, but I have noticed a disturbing squeek in the breaks in light and medium breaking situations. Does anyone else have this problem?? If do, did you get it corrected? If so, how??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
RDH I had the same problem with my XLR after a few months. I went to the Cadillac dealer where I bought my car and they said not to worry, it would "break in". Well except for rotating the tires, I did nothing. The squeek went away by itself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks

Thanks everyone for all the informative info. I am having Voue wheels put on this week. I think I will ask the installer to rotate the tires asnd see what happens. thanks again!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
RDH said:
I just got my new XLR last week. It is great, but I have noticed a disturbing squeek in the breaks in light and medium breaking situations. Does anyone else have this problem?? If do, did you get it corrected? If so, how??
Mine squeak at low speed too with about 10k miles on it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
question

Dataman: Did your XLR squeak when you first got it? Mine have squeaked since the day a got it (one week ago). I am also going to call one of the larger dealerships around and see what their experience has been and if they have a "fix" for the problem. The dealer I bought it from said the breaking system was perfect, but that the brake pads get a glaze which causes the squeak. They said this was perfectly normal. Cars that cost 1/4 don't have squeaky breaks like this. Truthfully, it is embarrassing to have such a great car sound like an old Chevy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
370 Posts
Squeal

I have the brake squeal too. I have had it in to the shop about 3 timnes. They always say the can't reproduce the swueal so can't diagnose.

In my case, it almost always occurs between 20-40 mph with light to moderate brake pressure. It also seems to be worse before the brakes warm up and in cool to cold weather (30's, 40's).

With warmer weather here in DFC, I have not noticed it as much. If it happens again,. I'm going to the General Manager of the dealer to see what he can do (replacing the rotors seems to be the cure).

Mine is a 2004, delivered April 2004, now has 4800 miles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,142 Posts
If your brakes squeal you MUST have the rotors replaced with an updated version and the glazed over pads replaced as well.....push them till they do it!

Mine started at about 4000 and I didn't get them replaced till about 11000
At 10000 they claim "normal wear", so it was a battle, but now at 25k I haven't heard a peep!

Lots of previous thread on this....read up!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
another question

I have a 2005 (just picked up 6 days ago). The dealer has agreed to put on new brake pads. I didn't ask them to replce the rotors. Since my care was just built 2 weeks ago, do you think it has the updated rotors??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,142 Posts
RDH said:
I have a 2005 (just picked up 6 days ago). The dealer has agreed to put on new brake pads. I didn't ask them to replce the rotors. Since my care was just built 2 weeks ago, do you think it has the updated rotors??
wow, one would think!
the rotors were redesigned and available within the first few months the cars were on the road. I don't think new brake pads will fix the problem in the long run.
The old rotors caused excessive heat, causing the pads to glaze over, causing them to squeal, amoung other proformance issues
 
G

·
You guys need to down shift everytime you have to slow to a stop. I have no problems with squeeling or bad brakes. The tranny is designed to let you down shift. 6,600 miles.
1_XLR said:
wow, one would think!
the rotors were redesigned and available within the first few months the cars were on the road. I don't think new brake pads will fix the problem in the long run.
The old rotors caused excessive heat, causing the pads to glaze over, causing them to squeal, amoung other proformance issues
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
this is helping (I think)

I have been listening closely to the squeeking sound today. It seems like it is just the brakes on one of the wheels. Maybe I just have a defective pad on ONE of the wheels. Well, I get the pads replaced on Thursday and we'll find out.

Everyone on this forum ahs been very informative and help. Thanks for responding courteously and in an effort to help. I appreciate it. And I'll let you know if brake pad replacement does the trick.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,142 Posts
standby said:
You guys need to down shift everytime you have to slow to a stop. I have no problems with squeeling or bad brakes. The tranny is designed to let you down shift. 6,600 miles.
I had a bad problem with brake squeal, GM redesigns the rotors, put them on my car, brake squeal never returns. Thanks Bob, but I know all about down shifting







60-0 Can you do it in under 5?
 
G

·
I'm sure most know about down shifting, but there are probably still a few people that think they would be hurting their tranny if they down shifted. This is why i posted that information.With or without ACC?

1_XLR said:
Thanks Bob, but I know all about down shifting..........60-0 Can you do it in under 5?
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top