Cadillac XLR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive me if this has already been discussed.

About a $20K difference in price between the two cars. I seem to admire them both almost equally. Something that I have trouble coming to grips with is the difference in quality among the cars. I would like to hear some opinions, please!

Anything over 300hp is overkill for me, but have read the 2007 SL500 will be in the 388hp range. I am not sure another 60 or 70hp really matters given the roadways and congestion in my neck of the woods. I have found almost no information cercerning the 2007 XLR. Is there going to be anything new?

I am going to take the plunge for one of these two cars. More than likely it will be my last one, so want to get it right.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Probably the wrong forum if you want a fair debate, the XLR will get a much bigger rating here than over on the MB site. With that said, they are both good cars, I don't know if you would regret owning either. :cheers

·
Registered
234 Posts
Making a big assumption on weight, the ratio for the XLR is 11.39 lbs per HP. The SL is currently 13.46. The bigger engine would put them a bit closer.

In my own opinion, the Bowling Green plant is equal by any measure of any MB plant, and I believe the build quiality is pretty comparable.

If you like the attention, I think the XLR gets more looks and comments than the MB would... otherwise they seem pretty comparable.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Caly said:
Making a big assumption on weight, the ratio for the XLR is 11.39 lbs per HP. The SL is currently 13.46. The bigger engine would put them a bit closer.

In my own opinion, the Bowling Green plant is equal by any measure of any MB plant, and I believe the build quiality is pretty comparable.

If you like the attention, I think the XLR gets more looks and comments than the MB would... otherwise they seem pretty comparable.
you are right Caly,
as you might know I´m a German who drives an XLR and I can tell you this car is an absolutely star over here.
Anyone loves the look of my car and most don`t know what make it is and when I tell them that`s a Cadillac, everyone shows:thumbs :thumbs :thumbs
Hans

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
37 Posts
comparing cars

OHSIXX said:

About a $20K difference in price between the two cars. I seem to admire them both almost equally. Something that I have trouble coming to grips with is the difference in quality among the cars. I would like to hear some opinions, please!

Anything over 300hp is overkill for me, but have read the 2007 SL500 will be in the 388hp range. I am not sure another 60 or 70hp really matters given the roadways and congestion in my neck of the woods. I have found almost no information cercerning the 2007 XLR. Is there going to be anything new?

I am going to take the plunge for one of these two cars. More than likely it will be my last one, so want to get it right.
From Rex32:
My wife has a 2003 500SL and I have a 2004 XLR. Ride: there is no comparison, the magnetic suspension of the XLR is fantastic. Even with run flat tires on the XLR (the 500SL has noisy regulars)the XLR is much smoother without being soft on manuvers and there is much less "****pit" noise. The controls on the XLR are much easier to use and navigate than the 500SL. No problems with the XLR, but have had the 500SL in for serious problems twice. The only item the the 500SL beats the XLR is in trunk space. Rex32

·
Registered
163 Posts
OHSIXX said:

I have an XLR (soon to be XLR-V) and an MB S55 AMG. To the issue of quality and reliability I can tell you that MB is having some seriouse issues. My S55 had a window sticker over 138K. Before I even got the car home, the ackward cuphold broke into 7 pieces in my hand, the front covering on the A pilar looked liked it had been melted, and the car refused to upshift after hard accelleration. There have been numerous other problems. To the credit of MB, they have been very pro-active fixing everything. However, you don't expect these type of problems in this type of car. MB builds some fun cars and some beautiful cars. But they have not made fun, beautiful, realible cars in quite a while.

I have had no problems with my XLR.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts