Cadillac XLR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After some research and following some directions on other posts...i was able to find the problem with my 2005 being stuck in park. It was only doing it once in a while, but when it did, i was stranded until i fiddled with the gear shift and shut down the car several times.

The problem...The small solenoid under the shifter console has a microswitch that was not consistently making contact.

After removing the chrome ring on the shifter, i loosened the torx screw, removed the shifter knob and then gently pried the corners of the console to expose the solenoid. I observed that when the button on the shifter was depressed, a cam pushed on two small metal arms that pushed the switch button and engaged the solenoid. Sometimes the solenoid would retract the arm that allows the shifter to move, and sometimes it wouldnt. I used a small screw driver to push the metal arms when the solenoid would not engage, and it instantly pulled in the arm.

I removed two screws, removed the solenoid, gave the small arms a little pry to slightly adjust them and put it all back together.

Now when i push the button on the shifter, the solenoid engages every time and have not had a problem getting it out of park.

Until i am confident this is a permanent fix, i have a torx and a flat head screwdriver in the glove box so that i can easily remove the shifter knob and console in the event it happens again.

This may be old info, but i thought i would share and hopefully help someone else.

Tim:cheers

·
Registered
62 Posts
Tim,nice fix will no doubt save some of us and yourself a $500 visit to the dealer. thanks,Al

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yesterday, my 2008 (17 days out of warranty) experienced the shifter lockup in park. Fortunately, on the bazzionth try it worked so I was able to get home. Incidentally, I wanted to shut the car off in neutral, but while it would shut off the engine, the DIC kept insisting that the shifter be moved to park. And, I found out, not just moved to park, but moved to park AND the shifter button released. (I'd wanted to leave it held in with a small strap.)

This morning I played with it a bit and found the solenoid was pulling, but unevenly. Rather than invest in a new assembly, I pried the solenoid itself partway out of the assembly (there are just a couple of plastic tab latches holding it in place), and removed the cam assembly that the solenoid turns. Popped the solenoid back into place and it's all good to go. Of course, now the car will start when it isn't in park. I don't regard that as much of a problem since it's so damn insistent about being left in park when shut off.

With perfect hindsight, I now recall that during the past week or two there were 3-4 times when the shifter button didn't move the first time I tried to shift out of park, but I (unfortunately) dismissed this as simply being a case of my having tried to get going before the car was quite finished with whatever initializations are needed at startup.

Moral of the story: the very first time your XLR balks at shifting out of park, make plans to do something about it. At the very least, start carrying a t-15 screwdriver.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Gear shifter stuck in park on the XLR

Thank you thank you, however, there is even another maneuver you can do without any tools to get you home, dealership or safe environment. It is actually in your owners manual. Simply push the auxiliary button under your start button twice on your car. You should be able to move the gear shift to neutral. Then start your car and away you go. Now granted this is just a temporary fix, but it may take you out of harm's way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts