Cadillac XLR Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize if this topic has been addressed. If there is no battery power is there any way to shift from park to neutral with no power? I was stuck with no power recently and it sure would have been nice to push the car a few feet out of the way. (2005 xlr) Thanks!!::cool

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts
I'm currently updating unloved posts that received zero replies. Even though this is an old post, it's worth answering for future reference.

When the brake pedal is depressed in Park, you'll here a subtle click under the shift knob. That's the latch solenoid activating, allowing the shifter. Being electrically-powered, obviously, nothing is going to happen with a dead battery. So, the shifter knob needs to be removed by sliding the chrome trim ring down and the T-15 set screw that secures the knob to the stalk has to be loosened to allow the knob to be removed.

After that, it's easy to pry up the center trim cover (from back to front) with a plastic trim tool and lift it just enough (or remove it completely after one internal connecter is de-mated) to raise the white plastic latch pawl with a finger to allow the shifter stalk to be placed in Neutral. This sounds harder than it is. The whole process takes less than two minutes.

CC

·
Registered
6 Posts
IMO, everyone should know how to do this. Sooner or later you'll have to. The tow truck operators generally know what needs to be done, but they can be ham handed and don't care if they break something.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts