Cadillac XLR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having plunked down my deposit last Friday for a 2005 XLR I am somewhat dismayed by the number of things going wrong with current owners,such as:Top not going down..trunk won't open..front apron "cheap" with tendency to chip, squealing brakes, key "fob" problems,etc...sounds like a tendency toward slip shod factory work with problems arising very fast as the mileage goes up..
When I checked out the SL500 and Lexus SC430 heard none of these complaints..Did I make a mistake in ordering the XLR especially since I truly enjoy my current CTS 2004????

·
Banned
0 Posts
Please don't consider our concerns and minor issues for reasons not to buy with confidence. Believe me, if you look as deeply into the SL SC you will find every bit as many complaints from picky buyers who demand alot.

My brother's SL has experienced problems with its top as well as electrical problems.

besides, when you compare the looks of the three, there is no comparison, the XLR looks mean just standing still.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Don't worry

Another Doctor here. This car is far more complex and has had far less problems than any car I have ever had. Very tight, not a single rattle. Many of the concerns and issue posted here are "how does it work" not that is "doesn't work".

I had a friend stop by to drive with me and he said his SL was nice, but did "have some rattles". And, its $30,000 more if comparably equipped.

As with many things these days, the owner's manual could be a bit better. I cases where I thought something didn't work right, it was really user error. This chat room is very helpful.

Again, compare this to how many of your patients thank you for treating their HBP, compared to the ones that complain when the drug causes a side effect.

Besides, no one looks at an SL. I have literally stopped traffic and had many people go out of their way to see and talk to me about the car when I am out and about. Have only seen one other XLR on the road here in DC.

You will be very happy and have some extra money to play around with.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Move forward with your plan and don't look back.

Having had multiple SLs, Jags, Porsches, Vettes, etc for over 40 years, I can tell you that the XLR is the best vehicle "out of the box" that I've ever had the pleasure of driving.

I've had zero problems, and the XLR is a much more pleasant driving experience than any of the other vehicles out there, inclusive of the new SL.

While the SC is a nicely crafted car, it has no soul, cannot handle with anywhere near the surgical efficiency of the XLR, and has major problems with its combination of run-flat tires and suspension. The two factors do not work in combination on the SC, leaving one with a continually jarring ride.

The XLR handles similarly to a Corvette, but with the comfort of a Cadillac or Lincoln. Its suspension is compliant and well-mannered, while allowing one to straighten the curves in the road. The build quality as well as that of the materials used is superb.

You'll find that the XLR is superb driver's vehicle which, albeit with a small load of luggage with the top down, will give you absolute comfort on a long drive.

On a final point, the SCs are so plentiful (and owners either don't seem to keep them or the majority are leased) that they do not hold up for resale and plummet value-wise. The SLs, which were bringing ridiculous numbers upon release, are now plentiful, with used examples to be found on dealers lots, which have dropped 15K or more as used vehicles.

I hope this is helpful.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Don't Buy It!!

I hope you don't but it, and I wish Cadillac never sold another one

because I really enjoy being part of a very select, privileged group

that owns the hottest car on today's market. :thumbs

·
Registered
411 Posts
I wouldn't concern yourself with defect rates, they are very low. I hope we aren't scaring anybody else with all the discussions in this forum.

I'd say the number of real problems has been ever so slightly more than our '02 Infiniti Q45, which was really low to begin with (unfortunately so is the Q45's resale value). I've heard of no large scale problems with the XLR.

When you read the XLR book that is sent to XLR owners, you'll see how much testing has gone into the XLR design's. It shows in the final results.

The items you are reading about here are mostly people learning about how the XLR operates. The only real issue that is still being discussed appears to be a few of the keyless start/entry systems. Those are complex systems and it isn't surprising that a few of the '04s have had problems. I had my keyless system replaced and it now works perfectly in all situations.

The key to feeling better about your purchase is that you can look through this entire forum and I don't think you'll find a single issue involving the engine or the drivetrain (including transmission). That is impressive!

You'll be very pleased with the XLR. Unlike the Q45, which I had serious buyers remorse, I've never thought twice about the XLR purchase. It has been great!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Like alk3997,
I would not backup buying this car. Like most of us I have added things to this forum that I I would like to see changed, upgraded maybe a bitch or two but that would be on any car out there. I love my car "don't tell my wife" and would buy another one again if anything were to happen to this one. I have not had anything go wrong with my car yet. I have about 4000 miles on it now. I take out every time I can and you would not belive the heads that turn... Its great for your ego by the way if you have one...
So by not means don't stop buying this car. I am sure you will be saying the same things on this forum your self...
Blaise "aka motorboatvz" :party :party

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks one and all re:Should I purchase the 2005XLR

This is one great forum. Thank you all for the prompt replies. Your remarks were very encouraging and right on the mark. As a matter of fact I spoke to the Cadillac dealer today and he has a black 2004 XLR . He suggested that I come in and work all the mechanisms and since it is not pre-sold I can test drive it as well.Also he gave me my purchase order #. So hopefully since I have that BIG birthday coming up why not for once in my lifetime buy my own present.Thanks again!Now how am I going to convince my wonderful wife...she's the one who should drive the XLR since she beats me any day as a terrific driver.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Great Car

We own # 9 Neiman of the 101 Ultra Violets (The first ones out of the box) and absolutely think that it is the greatest sports roadster ever produced. Have only had one slight problem which required replacing the engine control module (completed in the first dealer visit). All else works as promised -- get many stares and questions about what it is, etc. Would buy another in a heartbeat.
FL OWNER

·
Registered
92 Posts
My XLR has never seen the dealer. Surprisingly for a first year car, everything has worked flawlessly. Besides, it's not just another car, it is an exotic car in every sense of the word. Two thumbs up in my book!!

:thumbs :thumbs

P.S. the SL is the only competition to the XLR. The SC is a JOKE to put in the same sentence. It is slow and sloppy and cheaply made.

But I am like the other poster. I hope they never sell another one. I like the oooos and ahhhhhs. So please cancel. ;-)

Good luck!

·
Registered
477 Posts
Not to worry...

..despite our problems with the top (discussed in another thread), Cadillac has worked very hard to help us with a satisfactory resolution. Discussion of problems and technical details is the nature of this forum. Did you see the thread about Hack codes? I can't wait to try that one.

There is one BIG difference between the XLR and the other cars you mentioned. That is the WOW factor. This car blows people away like no other car I've ever driven, and I have had some cool rides.

FYI - This XLR was a May birthday gift to my bride, who is also an MD. Y'know, my mom used to tie a pork chop around my neck to get the dogs to play with me. I figure if I want a classy doctor lady like her to keep hanging around with oil field trash like me, I need to get a fancier pork chop.

So think of it that way................or maybe not. ;)

Pull the trigger on the XLR. You won't be sorry.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey:

On advice from existing owners: My wife kids me on asking, "How do like your new car?". She thinks there is no dumber question, if you expect an honest answer.

Try J.D. Powers and Associates for some possibly objective ratings. :angel

1 - 15 of 15 Posts