Cadillac XLR Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
#€[email protected]!BELTS!!! - I didn’t do a video because it wouldn’t be “G” rated but just a couple of hints on replacing that dreaded lower belt on the AC compressor and PS pump.

Shop manual says you need to remove the PS pump hose and access from under the car but it’s not necessary. Here’s what I did after removing the air cleaner assembly and upper radiator hose (I had to replace the water pump anyway).

1. Remove upper serpentine belt - use tensioner.

2. Remove 3 nuts from PS reservoir, which will allow you some extra room up top. It won’t move out of the way much but it’s enough to allow you access to the PS pump pulley without removing hoses (and bleeding the system).

3. Remove tensioner bolt, which will allow you to move belt in/around and out of tensioner position. After the belt is routed properly, replace bolt and tighten tensioner.

4. BEGIN with looping new belt around the inside crankshaft pulley FIRST. Then route it around AC pump and tensioner from the top. You may need a long screwdriver to help guide the belt under the AC pump pulley since it’s difficult to do from bottom. Once it was started, I used same screwdriver to move into position from under the car. I had front jacked up on stands where I had easy access.

5. At this point you should have one more loop to go around the PS pump. Put pressure on the tensioner to release belt and coax it onto the PS pump pulley. Should slide right on at this point.

6. Just walk away, clean the blood off your scraped arms and drink something hard to calm your nerves. Button it all back up and take a midnight ride with the top down and some smooth jazz cycling through the magnificent Bose speakers!
Photograph White Font Line Art

·
Registered
183 Posts
While you are at it, double check thevthe hydraulic tensioner is good and tight and keeps steady pressure on the belt..whet it starts to go it will hit the compressor clutch and then you will be buying a new compressor. It can add also break the compressor mount allowing the compressor to flop around. Bracket is not available. Tensioner also is nla but i do have parts to rebuild about 10 more then we will have another part that can put the car out. of service. This applies to base and also the V. The V is quickervto break the bracket. I have those if needed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts