Cadillac XLR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 XLR that has the light wood trim. I would like to replace the origional gray panel with a later year wood grain panel. I need to know if later models like 2006,7,8 & 2009 wood grain panels will fit my non wood grain panel.
Thank you for your help

Ron M

·
Premium Member
1,948 Posts
I have a 2004 XLR that has the light wood trim. I would like to replace the origional gray panel with a later year wood grain panel. I need to know if later models like 2006,7,8 & 2009 wood grain panels will fit my non wood grain panel.
Thank you for your help

Ron M
Ron:

Welcome to the XLR Forum.

Yes the later year panels will fit your XLR. However get ready for a surprise in the $$$$ area. It's expensive with factory parts.

You can use CC's online parts link to see what they cost.

As a suggestion use CC's online parts link to see the cost and part numbers.

Some members used a wood trim aftermarket company and covered their dash
and door panels--etc.

A search on Google may turn up another higher quality solution that will cost less.

Just saying........

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
259 Posts
I don't think its a direct swap - you may have to replace the climate control panel as well... but I'm not certain.

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts
Deadringer is dead-on.

The CJ2 Climate Control Unit has squared-off corners in the earlier years. It was changed in '06 to rounded corners with a corresponding change to the console bezel. To make the swap, you need not only a bezel but a different CJ2. Both make frequent appearances on eBay for a substantial savings over buying new.

CC :seeya

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dash face plate

First question is - On my 2004 face plate does it come off and leave behind the CL Control Unit behind still mounted in the dash? I have atempted to remove the FP and the CL moduel seems to be attached.

Second what do you think about recutting the wood portion of the face plate to fit around my 2004 square cornored CL Unit?

Thanks Ron

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts
To remove the center stack trim plate, you must first loosen the console (around the shifter) trim plate which is wedged into the bottom of the center stack. Be very careful - the aluminum trim dents VERY easily. Here's how to access the CJ2:

1) Slide the trim ring around the shifter knob down to expose the shift knob retaining screw.
2) With a T-15 Torx driver, loosen the shifter knob retaining screw. Remove the knob.
3) Using a plastic trim removal tool, (Not a flat-bladed screwdriver!) pry up on the rear of the trim plate enough to loosen it from the bottom of the console center stack trim plate.

Remove the console center stack trim plate:

1) Grasp the plate at the top and pull outward to disengage the retaining clips.
2) Disconnect the hazard flasher switch.
3) Revel in your do-it-yourself-it-ness.
4) Gaze in awe at your naked CJ2.
5) Repeat step 3.

As far as cutting the square corners and turning them into rounded corners . . . I think it might work better the other way around.

·
Registered
343 Posts
First question is - On my 2004 face plate does it come off and leave behind the CL Control Unit behind still mounted in the dash? I have atempted to remove the FP and the CL moduel seems to be attached.

Second what do you think about recutting the wood portion of the face plate to fit around my 2004 square cornored CL Unit?

Thanks Ron
My recollection is everything stays put, the face plate pulls away (to the rear). You do have to lift off the plate round the transmission selector (it pulls up) and to do that, you have to remove the gear selector knob. To remove the gear selector knob you have to pry (very gently) the small chrome plastic trim ring off (downwards), this is done with a thin, flat bladed tool pushed down the left and right sides, gently prying it off the retainer snap detent on each side. This reveals a ?T-15? (I forget the exact fastener type and size) which you unscrew (not fully), the selector knob lifts off and then the plate can be lifted up, creating enough room to allow the face plate to pull backwards and away. Maybe you have to undo some screws under the storage cover, if so these are pretty obvious, and you do disconnect at least one connector (for the +/- back lighting). IIRC, the vents are a push fit inside the vent tubes, they sort of wriggle free. Writing this description has taken about the same length of time as it takes to carry out this procedure!

It is important that you refit the selector knob in the exact right position.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wood Dash Panel

Thanks for your help. I will try to remove the panel and let you know how I make out.

I'm going to purchase an 09 wood grain plate.

I'm not sure if 2005 had a woodgrain option or not.

When I mentioned Square vs round I ment that I would try to square off the wood panel. I think that's what you rae thinking.

I will be sure to post my results.

As a new member I'm thinking that I only have 25 postings. I will look back at the rules. I would like to post a picture of the results.

Ron M

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts
Before purchasing a new (2009) wood-enhanced plate, be aware that they came as olive burl, not light eucalyptus (2004). Starting in 2006, light (and dark) eucalyptus trim packages were offered on the center stack, all the way up to the 2008 model year. I just checked my brochure library and model year photo references to make sure.

A couple of other nice 2009 enhancements that might fit are an alcantra headliner and leather dash pad with French stitching.

Sounds lke a fun project, can't wait to see it!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dash Panel

I did notice that the 2009 panel was of a different color than mine. I found one for very little money. I planned to expermint with that wood panel which I believe will sepperate from the main panel. If I can cut it to fit properly I could buy the light wood panel later. Probably from a Cadi dealer. If all fails I haven't lost much money.

Tomorrow I'm going to try to remove both of my panels. I can than compaire the back side of mine with the picture I have of the 2009 panel.

If the mother panel fits I think I can cut and file the wood portion to fit.

thanks for your help.

Ron M

1 - 10 of 10 Posts