21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all -

Do you know of one or more honest, reliable, knowledgeable,
and capable, repeat, capable, repair and service shops in or
fairly near Beverly Hills, CA? If so, please, please, send me
the name(s) and address(es) of them.

I particularly need "Check Engine Light" help. This, because
the three shops I have taken my 2005 XLR to can't fix it.

Thanks . . .

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hi, all -

Thanks . . .
well it could be a number of things .most easy to check is to see that your gas cap is properly secured. What code are you getting. If you have a check engine light any autp parts store should be able to give you a fail code and most are very easy to figure out on the xlr

·
Registered
4 Posts
Every time I have had a check engine light is was due to the gas cap. I replace the cap, run it for a few days and the light goes out. Make sure you here 3+ clicks when closing the gas cap or you may get the light issue.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi, Alarmu12 -

Thanks for your message.

Crestview is far from where I live.

But, considering my past experiences with
techs who don't know what they're doing,
I'll probably have to give Crestview a try.

Again, thanks . . .

·
Registered
9 Posts
All, Would have the same question about SF Bay Area, specifically the South Bay. Had very good experiences at St Claire Cadillac, but sadly they are gone. Thanks. XLRated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Before I sold my 2004 XLR, it was a weekly occurrence to put the OBDII dongle on and reset the P040 (?) code. Replaced gas cap - no change. Replaced the O2 sensors, no change. Early on, had the dealership check both gas tanks for leaks - that was a $2000 exercise in futility. Checking the tanks requires dropping the rear axle! Sold the car with the cheap Harbor Freight OBDII reset box. Nice car, loved it, but was a PITA to keep that check engine light off! Good luck finding drivers seat covers when the hole wears in the side! Unobtainium!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did any of your check engine code come back Cat problem. Has anyone replaced a Cat converter. If you have can you tell me if I can just cut and replace or do I need to replace the the whole exhaust system. does that Cat cleaner work? l have a 2009 XLR-v with only 22.6 thousand mil Dealer asking over 6-8 grand.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Did any of your check engine code come back Cat problem. Has anyone replaced a Cat converter. If you have can you tell me if I can just cut and replace or do I need to replace the the whole exhaust system. does that Cat cleaner work? l have a 2009 XLR-v with only 22.6 thousand mil Dealer asking over 6-8 grand.
Yes, after 2 or 3 or 4 days, especially after a short (10 mile drive), usually when there has been an outside temperature change, usually afternoon to evening. The code has to happen 3 times before the check engine light would come on. P042 code as I remember..
As I said before, both O2 sensors were replaced. Gas cap replaced several times, cap seal cleaned and lubed. 2004 early production model (1290+ serial number) .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi, all -

Thanks . . .
Hello. About a year ago I had a cat problem and the local vette dealer said I needed new ones. It was a expensive project but I should never have to do it again. If I remember right, the header for ea. side and the the 'cat' came as one piece and the entire unit fit perfectly and was a fast install. There was a performance model available for some more power. Just something else to consider and this way was right for me. Bob

1 - 11 of 11 Posts