Cadillac XLR Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experience of removing the two grilles fitted to the dash? I am chasing down a minor occasional rattle and have found that pressure on top of the two metal grilles mostly stops it, but it isn't the grilles themselves, suggests that something under them is rattling and the extra pressure is often enough to stop it.

I've put this under electrical, if it should be under a different heading happy to be corrected. I was looking for a sort of 'general' or 'interior' topic area, but there doesn't seem to be anything like that.

TIA

·
Registered
129 Posts
If you're talking about the two center grills, here's the procedure:

Pull down the trim ring on the shifter, use a t-15 torx to loosen and remove knob.

Pry up rear edge of console cover. Plastic spatula recommended. Part way up, you'll need to disconnect the shift indicator lights. After all the way up you likely need to disconnect the lighter and pull out the first cable-holder-downer. This lets you park the cover out of the way.

Wrap a rag or towel around the shifter shaft to protect the next piece when you remove it.

Pry bottom of console faceplate out slightly, then pry out at the top. You'll likely need to disconnect the hazard switch (whose release is on the bottom).

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you're talking about the two center grills, here's the procedure:

Pull down the trim ring on the shifter, use a t-15 torx to loosen and remove knob.

Pry up rear edge of console cover. Plastic spatula recommended. Part way up, you'll need to disconnect the shift indicator lights. After all the way up you likely need to disconnect the lighter and pull out the first cable-holder-downer. This lets you park the cover out of the way.

Wrap a rag or towel around the shifter shaft to protect the next piece when you remove it.

Pry bottom of console faceplate out slightly, then pry out at the top. You'll likely need to disconnect the hazard switch (whose release is on the bottom).
Thanks for that, but no. I'm talking about the grilles in the dash (not the center console), the metal ones on the top surface.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts