Cadillac XLR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I had the low coolant light turn on during my trip back from vegas today. I had this happen two months ago when they changed out the water pump. No issues since. however i get home, and pop the hood and my coolant tank has a reddish brown color liquid in it, not the usual blue coolant (which was obviously just changed two months ago). This is freaking me out....anyone seen this? WHat are the possibilities of problems? Radiator, head gasket? Oil leak? HELP!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
to be more specific

i know the "low coolant" message is about one of the most common messages on these cars, that can lead to any major or minor problem. but being an 05 with a new radiator and new water pump within the last six months, and a dealer telling me its in tip top shape this is more than annoying...only issue ive had with the car since i bought it. repetetive to say the least. my coolant used to be blue, thats why im bothered its now red...

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts
Dexcool is a reddish color. I've got a gallon in the garage and double-checked for you just to make sure. The coolant reservoir cap has a reminder to only use Dexcool on it. If you witnessed someone adding blue-green, silicate-loaded coolant to your engine's cooling system, you're going to have problems. Since your coolant appears to be the right color, I would err on the side that the correct coolant is installed. If in doubt, you should have it checked by your dealer.

Your Low Coolant Level message can be caused by a number of things, none of which are easily diagnosed properly via the internet.

Without physically being there, anything I might suggest is just educated guessing. It could be something as simple as . . . low coolant. Or a leak in the system, including the seal on the cap. Or a faulty sensor.

I get the same message sometimes, usually within five minutes of start-up in the morning. Then I won't see it for days. I've topped off my reservoir, inspected the cooling system, and run diagnostics with my Tech 2. Nothing indicates a problem. My engine temp cooling temperatures are within specs as well.

Based on what I've experienced, I'm starting to get the impression this is another early model firmware gremlin and nothing more than a nuisance message. If it were a hard fault and my coolant level really was low, it should register every ignition cycle. It doesn't. I just ran another cooling system diagnostic today. It reads fine.

Your milage may vary. Again, if in doubt, have your dealer take a look at your car and come up with an explanation that will educate the rest of us.

CC

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
follow up

CC your inisght is always helpful. yes im aware that with an 05 the "gremlins" could be live and well, however the last time it happened, even as intermittently as you indicate, a new water pump was determined necessary with the tech 2. i agree, once they changed the coolant with the water pump (im sure required based on the procedure) red dexacool is likely what was installed, so i am not saying the color is an indicator other than the proper coolant being installed. however the car seems to be running at odd PSI levels for the oil. As much as 60 PSI even on idle, and up to 80+ with any normal driving even at normal temp levels. a high oil pressure guage given this message the dealer over the phone (for my appointment monday) indicated even a gasket issue could be a problem. all coincidental? potentially, but its never showed THIS characteristic before. its always idled at 20PSI and even under long drives or hard acceleration never more than 60 to 70PSI....so this is a new phenomonon. Does this help lend any insight?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts