Cadillac XLR Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first post but been here long time
Yesterday a guy calls me from the dealer telling me that we need to recall your XLR 2004 for a safety issue I've asked him and he replays "GM is saying left lower arm nut and washer must be replaced ??" and it will take a whole day to replace it so I wonder if any 2004 owners did get this recall?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Nslootah said:
My first post but been here long time
Yesterday a guy calls me from the dealer telling me that we need to recall your XLR 2004 for a safety issue I've asked him and he replays "GM is saying left lower arm nut and washer must be replaced ??" and it will take a whole day to replace it so I wonder if any 2004 owners did get this recall?
I got the recall notice and one of the nuts was indeed cracked. I think the recall is to replace all of the lower control arm nuts, not just one. Make sure your dealer does just that.
pob

·
Registered
189 Posts
Yes, The recall states that it will take two to four hours. Not so. I had mine done and it took less than an one hour. they replace front and rear.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Not all

I asked my dealer about this and it depends on the factory where the nuts/bolts were made. It is a VIN specific recall. Cadillac service confirmed this.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I took mine to the dealer and the only thing he did was visually inspect the nuts and washers, he then put a torque wrench on the nuts to check the torque. Nothing on mine had to be replaced.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Recall

Got the recall in the mail, left the car for the day (I hate the rental crap).

Supposedly car is fixed :confused

I never knew I had a problem!

--Bob

·
Registered
20 Posts
Double check on that!

pamlicopirate said:
I took mine to the dealer and the only thing he did was visually inspect the nuts and washers, he then put a torque wrench on the nuts to check the torque. Nothing on mine had to be replaced.
It was my understanding that if you got a recall notice then your control arm nuts required replacement. The only thing checking the torque reading on them will tell you is that they haven't cracked yet. If I were you I would contact Cadillac Customer Service and pursue this. It is not something to be taken lightly.
pob

·
Registered
411 Posts
I was just looking at the documents on the NHTSA site. For the 2004 XLR, the affected VINs are from 45601754 through 45603310 (inclusive). Some 2004 CTS and 2004 SRX models are also included in the recall.

The consequences of a failure are loss of steering control and tilt/dragging of the vehicle.

Minimum repair appears to be a new nut and washer assembly and, if required a replacement of the ball stud and steering knuckle.

A full set of documentation is available at:
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/RepositoryFiles.cfm?module=RECALLS&IfsDocId=04V273

·
Registered
370 Posts
Not all VIN's

Those VIN numbers are not inclusive. The notice says not all VIN's within those breakpoints are affected.

I checked with both my dealer and Cadillac and they agree that my XLR is not included (even though the VIN is between those numbers).

·
Registered
477 Posts
Wrong material.

The actual work takes only minutes. The Queue at the dealer is what takes the time.

Apparently, the the nuts and washers were constructed from the wrong material. I don't know if its a galvanic corrosion or low strength issue. In any case, it is bad enough or warrant a recall. :confused

·
Registered
411 Posts
Eyedoc said:
Those VIN numbers are not inclusive. The notice says not all VIN's within those breakpoints are affected.

I checked with both my dealer and Cadillac and they agree that my XLR is not included (even though the VIN is between those numbers).

Interesting - I was going by what the online documentation said. Sorry about that. The dealer and Cadillac would know better.

Andy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts