Cadillac XLR Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi again! It's been a while since I posted here, I guess because the car has been great and nothing I needed help with.
Well, that all changed last month. Unbeknownst to me, the last time my wife was out, she stored something in the trunk, between the divider and the drivers seat (ie in the never put anything here area). I come along the next day, put the top down and the rear window pressed against the item and that's all it took. The entire window shattered and is now held in place by the safety glass coating, the weather goop seal and the defroster wires too I guess.
So, I am in Canada and started looking for a replacement. A new window was not possible, Cadillac does not stock them anymore. The Used replacement search covered all of Canada, by me and a couple of local glass repair shops. After a week, a used one was found in Quebec so I ordered it. Whew right!?! Well, the people who pulled the glass out of the donor car, broke it!
Since there was nothing left in Canada, we started looking in the US as best we could. We sort of stuck to Michigan and Ohio mainly because those 2 states were close enough for me to drive there, pick it up and bring it back to Canada. No luck at all by any of us searchers.
So now I have a car that basically cannot be driven. If the glass actually falls out, I'm screwed with no garage to put the car in, leaving it exposed to the elements. I also don't want to put tape and plastic on the car. My car is an '05 that only has 28k miles on it. It's pristine (or was i guess) and now it's just a pretty awesome looking driveway cover.
I guess what I'd like help with is finding someone who has a rear window that fit's a 2005 XLR (not a V) and is willing to ship it. If they don't want to ship to Canada and deal with Import/Customs etc, that's still OK. If they are willing to ship to Michigan (I can provide a place to use), that's perfectly fine. If anyone has any possibilities that might work, please let me know here and I'll try and make it work.

·
Registered
166 Posts
There is literaly 100 back glasses in the us but its just not a part shops want to deal with shipping within the states much less canada. Herebin the states if we have comprohensive coverage it will pay for glass breakage. most of the one i have sold we sell that top section with the glass attached in color. At least any glass works. They only made one. If any member lives in michigan or close enough, i can arrange to ship one to this owner so he can come pick it up.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I just looked at one of my sources and it shows 17 new glasses in gm stock. I would think if its a us part the same as canada they should be able to get it there. I would contact a glass shop like safelight if you have a chain of shops and they should be able to get it. it lists for over 1000 and used ones are usually 3-400 as its not a big seller. Part number 88956975

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BUMP! I hope you find someone who can provide you with it. Such pain!
Thanks everyone. I tried to get the dealership to look in the US for the glass, but they said it was impossible for them to see. I think they just didn't want to get involved with shipping the glass.

On the bright side, I did find a used one in California that's in perfect shape and the seller ships to Canada. So, I'm giving that a try first. If this doesn't pan out, maybe I'll just drive over to Detroit and see if the Caddy dealership can get one.

Thanks again for help!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts