Cadillac XLR Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This seems like the correct place to ask this.

Does anyone know where I can get a new radiator support (skid plate) made out of steel? I have heard that the Corvette used to be steel with the aluminum for certain models. Now aluminum is all I seem to be able to get.

The factory skid plate is aluminum and the welds are crap (I am being generous). I know that aluminum is very difficult to weld, but these look bad, with very little penetration at all. I have had to replace this part several times and it is getting annoying.

The first one (came with the car) lasted for several years, until the accident. The new ones seem to break about every six months or so.

It seems to break sometimes just driving the car, as there is no evidence of dragging or impact, just the welds breaking from the mounting brackets.

GM had been less than helpful, asking for the VIN and telling me that's all I can get for that car. If these is a steel version, please give me that part number and I will happily order one.

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts
You have three options, from cheap to expensive:

1) Quit hitting parking barriers and breaking the welds. This would be the cheapest.

2) Have your existing skid plate welded professionally and still do #1.

3) Take your existing skid plate, and have a machine shop measure and custom-build a new one from stainless. (It would be cheaper to keep a bunch of aluminum spares though.)

CC :seeya

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You have three options, from cheap to expensive:

1) Quit hitting parking barriers and breaking the welds. This would be the cheapest.

2) Have your existing skid plate welded professionally and still do #1.

3) Take your existing skid plate, and have a machine shop measure and custom-build a new one from stainless. (It would be cheaper to keep a bunch of aluminum spares though.)

CC :seeya
OK, 1) doesn't happen often, but sometimes those things are not visible. The biggest problem is that Round Rock seems to have a number of streets that have deep, but narrow drainage dips. I have to back out of my driveway at an angle to keep from dragging on the way out.

2) is happening as soon as the newest one arrives.

3) is being looked into.

There are a few aftermarket items to keep the skid plate from dragging, but they will not work with the bad welds, as the weight of the car will break the weld. If I can get a steel plate I can use these "bumper protectors" to help the problem greatly.

My dad broke off one of the "good" welds on a broken one with his hands. Aluminum welding is a skill that I do not have, but I know enough about it to see that the welds do not have proper penetration for the purpose these are used. The weight of the radiator is enough to break some of the welds I have seen.

The one that came with the car was welded all the way around the tubing. The replacements only have spot welds on two or three sides.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts