Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
please some boddy help me
every time i want to use radar cruise control i got msg "service radar cruise "

·
Registered
185 Posts
That is most likely caused by there being some dirt blocking the Cruise Control Sensor in the lower grill so climb underneath the car and take a look.

·
Registered
343 Posts
That is most likely caused by there being some dirt blocking the Cruise Control Sensor in the lower grill so climb underneath the car and take a look.
Climbing under your XLR might be necessary, but try popping the radar cover panel off first. Standing in front of your car, the radar is behind (on the car, the left hand side) your right hand side (driver's side) the panel in the lower grille. That plastic panel pops off. Make sure it is clean.

On mine it picked up a small wet leaf that caused problems.

Hope this helps,

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts
The "SERVICE RADAR CRUISE" message is displayed when a malfunction is detected in the Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) system's Distance Sensing Cruise Control module--the heart of the system.

In most cases, the DSCC module is faulty (and it ain't cheap to replace!) If you're really lucky, the DSCC module is physically out of alignment, and only needs to be re-pointed --the dealer has a laser-equipped alignment tool to get it pointing properly. --The system also has a self-alignment feature, but if the module is knocked out of alignment, the automatic, built-in alignment feature can't compensate enough. If the DSCC module is over 3.9 degrees out of mechanical alignment, a fault code is passed and can generate the message you're seeing.

You might want to do a visual inspection as well. Ensure the connector on the DSCC module is seated. If it's not, inspect the connector receptacle and plug faces for corrosion/dirt intrusion. On 04-05 XLRs, the connector is on the rear of the DSCC. On later models, it's on the side.

The DSCC module is a self-contained, forward-looking radar system. The front face (covered by a plastic, smoke-colored bezel) contains the emitter/receiver (sensor). (The bezel on the passenger side is cosmetic and gives symmetry.) The rear section of the module contains the processing electronics. The unit communicates via the high-speed GMLAN bus to ensure the XLR's other integrated systems respond rapidly to slow the car if necessary should the target's range rate decrease in a specified amount of time. It's a pretty sophisticated little system, and is smarter than what passes for many honor students today. Might make a nice bumper sticker too: "My XLR is smarter than your honor student!" . . . Back to thread:

If the forward-facing, front-mounted sensor bezel is dirty --changing the characteristics of the expected radar signal, the cruise control system is de-activated and a "CLEAN RADAR" message is displayed on the DIC.

After insuring the bezel is clean, if you still get the message, you'll need to have a dealer connect a Tech 2 scan tool to diagnose the system and verify the proper operation and/or alignment of the DSCC module.

Please report back when you get it fixed.

CC :cheers

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey, I'm having this issue now, too... I had the "SERVICE RADAR CRUISE"... popped off the front bezel, wiped down the black box containing the radar unit, put the bezel back on, and it worked again for a week or so, now it's back to the same error message, about 30 seconds after the car is on/drives...

Any DIY solutions from here to check to fix? Do I need to open the black box somehow and clean/position/tighten something in there?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Hey, I'm having this issue now, too... I had the "SERVICE RADAR CRUISE"... popped off the front bezel, wiped down the black box containing the radar unit, put the bezel back on, and it worked again for a week or so, now it's back to the same error message, about 30 seconds after the car is on/drives...

Any DIY solutions from here to check to fix? Do I need to open the black box somehow and clean/position/tighten something in there?
No, don't take the radar sensor apart. Its a Tech-2 next to get the fault codes.

However, you might have picked up something else, popping off the front cover takes a few seconds.

·
Registered
177 Posts
It's a sealed unit. Cant be taken apart and serviced. Mine went out and I had to bite the bullet. About 12 or 13 hundred from gm parts direct. Easy change. 2 screws and a plug. I hope you dont need one.

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts
XLRLIST01 & Monepit are both right. If the fault returns after cleaning the bezel, a trip to the dealership is in order. A diagnostic test with a Tech 2 takes five minutes and will determine if the DSCC module is faulty. If so, it's gonna hurt. :cry It may need a simple alignment (special tool) if you're lucky.

CC

1 - 8 of 8 Posts