Cadillac XLR Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
local dealer has xlr on site that has not the xm sat radio system
installed......this is there first one in . as im second on there
list, it being offered to me as the first in line has chaned there mind.......they tell me the xm radio system can not be added now..
why? why was it not ordered in the first place as it the only option
as i understand..........hesitateing as i really,really enjoy my xm sat radio and sirius sat. radio system in other cars i own...... they are add ons, not factory installs.
can it be added from GM factory stock?
i want this car, can pick it up monday 1/4/04........!!!!
but what about adding sat. radio????????? HELP PLEASE!!!

·
Registered
370 Posts
XM Radio

Was just at the local Washington DC Car Show and the spokemodel went out of her way to mention that the XM radio was the only option AND that the reason was some people object to the antenna which interrupts the "line" of the car. Another string in this forum discusses the antenna issue. It mounts in the middle of the trunt and seems to look fairly ugly.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Here is what I know about the XM Radio...

1) The XM Radio was made an option because some people objected to the antenna. The antenna position changed significantly during the design of the car and every position was either objectionable or technically poor. The final position is very good technically but you'll hear people on this forum complaining about the looks.

2) At this time I have heard of no way to add the XM Radio aftermarket. This is a pure guess, but I suspect there is probably a jumper that has to be set to tell the Nav/Radio software that an XM Radio module has been installed. This then allows the display menus for XM Radio to become visible on the LCD. In addition to the jumper, the actual XM Radio receiver module has to be installed. I don't know if every XLR comes with the antenna cable already run through the body.

Could a dealer do this work? Sure, but with the low volume of XLRs and even lower volume of people who would upgrade, I doubt there is a business case for it.

For whatever it is worth, I plan to install the XM Radio antenna on my XLR, once it arrives.

If you really want XM Radio then your best bet is to wait.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Adding Factory XM

Being an XLR dealer, I strongly agree with Andy. I would tell you to wait for one that was ordered with the car. I told each of my XLR owners that I was ordering there car with the XM.

Being only a 325.00 option the hardware to order through parts is well in excess of 1500.00 for all the components not including installation. I explain to my clients that by ordering it all the hardware is included in the car, plus the color coded antenna is in a box in the luggage area.

When their XLR comes in I show them where the hole is drilled in the decklid. If they want it, our Body Shop does the antenna installation in 30 minutes. If they dont want it my XLR Tech. Unplugs the connection to the Radio Head so it will display FM1 & FM2 on 2 individual spaces. I then give My client the box with the antenna in it (writting XM on it for future reference) I simply explain, you may not want it but the next owner will most likely.

So the 325.00 for the option is a good investment.
Allen

·
Registered
411 Posts
You just answered one of my questions. It sounds like there isn't any jumper required for the XM Radio. The head unit knows it is XM equiped when it detects the XM receiver module. Did I understand correctly?

BTW, I had the factory antenna installed yesterday. XM is too good to pass-up.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Can we get a picture? I'm still not convinced the disruption to the links of the car is worth the benefit. You know, "it's better to look good than to feel good," if I remember the line correctly.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Now I'm totally confused.

I didn't order the XM radio and now realize my mistake.

Read in 1 spot that I can add through the existing radio and in another that I cannot.

Anyone know for sure?:(

·
Registered
411 Posts
Bottom line answer to your question...

Officially - No, it is only a factory option

Unofficially - Maybe, dealer would have to put the parts together and come up with the installation plan. It will also cost significantly more than the factory. It would be at the dealer's descretion whether they would be willing to try.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Thanks

Thanks everyone for their help.

Only advice I can give everyone:

ABSOLUTELY ORDER THE XM RADIO WHEN YOU ORDER YOUR XLR. DON'T MAKE THE MISTAKE THAT I DID!:nodno

·
Registered
136 Posts
paulr44,

Your are right on!!!!!!! XM radio is beyond description!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

However, in the NW there are areas that does not provide an uninterupted signal. But, it is not a significant problem.

DFXLR

·
Registered
411 Posts
Yes, I'll bet Sirius works better in that area because of the "unusual" orbits for their three satellites. The XM geostationary satellites are at a bigger disadvantage as the receiver moves further north. Of course XM has the advantage in satellite names ("Rock" and "Roll").

1 - 11 of 11 Posts