Cadillac XLR Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had picked up my '05 Blue Steel on Oct. 7th, on the 11th it went in the shop. it had several problems and I'm not sure how to explain them all. Golly gee, it is going to take me forever to explain all of this, but here goes. On the 8th my engine light came on and stayed on, on the 9th that went off and stayed off, even when I started the car, of which I have had problems starting it, on the 9th I got a system charge error light, that also went off, I have problems with the voice commands, which were running real slooooooooooooow, and dialing on the phone was real weird, wound up just saying to be brief, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6,6, and there were no 6's in the number I was dialing, not to mention that when I said dial,on the phone, before I could even get out a number it would say slower. I got my Blue Seel back today, not all fixed. For some of this it turns out to be a software problem, of which they have no update for it. My mechanic now has the head engineer's personal cell phone # and the head engineer has his direct phone #, that I don't even have and the way things are going, maybe I should? LOL!
Now this dealer is really good about a lot of things, in fact they washed it and filled my gas tank, I think about 1/2 tank, but could have been less then that. So, I had a rental car all that time and I only put, about, 26 miles on it. Oh let's see now I had my new car 3 days and the service department had it almost 12 full
days.
I really want to thank Allen, as he has been quite helpful to me in trying to get this straightened out, and am waiting for his call back. Again THANK YOU ALLEN! And it is always a pleasure to talk with you.
I am doing all the below over this.
:banghead :mad :rolleyes :nodno :confused :cry :cuss :cuss :cuss

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Software

Keep us posted on the Software problem. Would like to think that problems you are having are because of and upgrade. Otherwise we all could be in for it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hey,

Finally a problem that is right up my alley. Insist that they change the ECU and the internal computer that runs the car. I promise your problems will go away if they change out both. Don't let them change one without the other.

I own a company that developes computer systems and we build a lot of speciality products like this. Actually, while your problems might seem sevier to you, they are actually a very simple fix. Now, if your mechanic is not a big fan of computer controlled cars or technically savey with the workings (or not working) of this type of equipment he most likely will not accurately solve the problem. Reloading the prom might also solve the problem (this is like reloading the operating system on your computer) but that presents a lot of ways to REALLY screw things up. Again, I do this all day every day so I am very comfortable in my abilities. However, we also see a lot of lesser skilled people try it and cause a lot more problems than they fix.

In the end, the computer swap (although expensive) is the best way to go.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Rick, Thanks for the info.. My mechanic is at the dealer where I bought the car. He, as well as most everyone there, have been in contact with just about everyone @ Cadillac in Detroit. They had him test all the components of both and other things, but every thing checked out fine and it is not throwing any codes. Now if it threw some codes no problem. When I first started having problems, since the first time I started the car, I pushed the OnStar button and they said that it, the engine light, coming on and staying on was an issue with, the drive train or the power train (now I can't remember which one) command module. Also the dash showed system charge error. So your telling me that it all is the CPU and ECU-or whatever they call it.? I will call them, no, I will go over there on Monday show them what you wrote to me and see if that helps them. But, the mechanic, at my dealership, has been in contact with the head engineer that designed the system for the car. I guess that I will shut up, for now! LOL!
Jean
:flag

·
Registered
163 Posts
Computers, even the best of them, are sensitive peices of equipment. It is very possible for the operating system to be corrupted yet act as if nothing is wrong. The reason they don't want to change them is that it is expensive to do. A grounding problem or static shock also can make the ECU do very irractic things. Like I said, if they change both--your problems will go away.

Rick

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Rick,
Will that also correct the problem of hard starting? Last night, for the 3rd time I had a problem starting it. and when I got home, I sent an email to the dealer and they are discussing it now and with Detroit.
Thank you
Jean

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Just to get the story straight I will, sort of, start at the beginning. I Got my new "05, Blue Steel on October 7th, on the 8th I started having all kinds of problems, it went in the shop on the 11th, I got it back on the 22nd and had problems with it right away, on the way home, on the 26th it went back in and I picked it up today. To date all that I know they did is replace the fuel pump, but I don't have the paperwork yet, but I will post what they did so that all will be aware of these problems. So now I have had my car 7 days and they have had it 21 days, and they have filled my gas tank, both times, but this time I did not get to talk with the mechanic. I guess eventually this will get all cleared up and not have any more problems, :skep . A girl can dream, can't she???????? LOL! :glol

·
Registered
163 Posts
JeanZOO,

I just don't know enough about how the starting system works to answer that. I know that in after market remote starters, they use there own seperate electronic. I don't know if the XLR uses the componets from an aftermarket system (in which case it would be an OEM, not aftermarket) or if Cadillac developed thier own.

Sorry I could not help.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rick,
Thank you anyway. I also just had it back to the dealer for the voice recognition thing, as he could not duplicate this problem. I swear that it must be my ghost, and yes, I do hve a ghost and he follows me around and does not just stay at my house. As for the other problems it is a software thing and they do not have an update for it, yet, but I sure hope that they have one soon, real soon!
Thank you for your assitance.
I guess that this is the closest icon I can get to be a ghost! :angel any way :lol
Thanks again.
Jean

1 - 9 of 9 Posts