Cadillac XLR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from Sweden!
I have a 2004 XLR with hardtop problems.
A few hours ago, in a hurry, I tried to lowering the roof.
Unfortunately, seconds before I have opened the trunk.
After this mishandling, the roof don´t function properly.

The windows, "main roof-part" and the rearwindows works.
But the trunk remains open, and it sounds like the motor on the left side don´t find its end position. The reverse procedure works allright,
and so do the normal trunk operation.

Someone who experienced the same problem?

Best regards from Jerry, Malmoe/Sweden

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts
Hej Jerry!

I normally don't suggest this, but in this case it might be useful. With the top fully raised (or lowered) disconnect the battery and wait five minutes.

Re-connect the battery and re-index both windows by lowering one and hold the switch down for five seconds after it reaches it's lower limit, then raise the window to it's top limit and contine to hold the switch in the raise position for five seconds.

Do this to each window.

Then try to operate the top in both directions. If it works, drink a beer.

If it doesn't, drink two beers and report back.

CC :seeya

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi again!
Unfortunately I had to drink 2 beer´s!
Do you by chance know where the switch/sensor who indicate the lower position of the main part of the roof is located? (Wow, what a long sentence...)

The "main part" of the roof seems to try to work itself below the correct position.
This could probably be the result of a dislocated switch/sensor, or?

The "window trick" was also known by the workshop here in Malmoe.
But that is really what they know...
Now I´m waiting for the authorized GM-dealer to call back for an appointment.
They´re the only one in the third biggest town in Sweden who have a Tech-2...

Thanks once again!
Best regards, Jerry

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts
Hej Again Jerry!

There are three potentiometer/position sensors. The folding top position sensor I think you're referring to is located just forward of the driver's side quarter window. You have to position the roof about halfway up to get easier access to it. It's hidden under a vinyl cover that snaps into place.

There's a front tonneau position sensor located behind and centered between the seats visible from the trunk when the rear decklid is raised.

The rear tonneau position sensor is on the left side linkage, visible when the rear decklid is raised.

You're right, it's probably time for a Tech 2. Let us know what fixes it. I'd start with checking the front tonneau sensor and work towards the folding top position sensor. The Tech 2 will give the actual status of the other switches to compare with their expected values during normal operation. If they're out of specs, the top will stop operation to protect itself.

Until then, there's always beer!!!

CC :seeya

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hej CC! (You´got Swedish ancestors? ☺)
Thank you so much for good advices, I´ll try them out in the morning!
I´ll let you know the result!
Yours, Jerry

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hejsan Jerry,

Off the subject - my retired SAS friend lives in Malmo - what a beautiful place!

Hilsen,

Carter

·
Registered
343 Posts
Hello from Sweden!
I have a 2004 XLR with hardtop problems.
A few hours ago, in a hurry, I tried to lowering the roof.
Unfortunately, seconds before I have opened the trunk.
After this mishandling, the roof don´t function properly.

The windows, "main roof-part" and the rearwindows works.
But the trunk remains open, and it sounds like the motor on the left side don´t find its end position. The reverse procedure works allright,
and so do the normal trunk operation.

Someone who experienced the same problem?

Best regards from Jerry, Malmoe/Sweden
It isn't a problem to raise the trunk lid and then lower (or raise) the roof. The system 'knows' that the trunk is already open and moves on to the next step. So, if you are thinking that by opening the trunk and then lowering the roof you caused a problem, that isn't so.

2cs worth.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts