Cadillac XLR Forum banner

Problem with GPS

6K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Eyedoc 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm having a problem with GPS navigation. This is for a new 06 XLR, 3 weeks old with 3k miles.

While driving north on the 101 Freeway through Los Angeles, my GPS always looses it's signal in the exact same area (just south of downtown.)

Instead of stopping, I kept driving 20 miles. Still way off track on the screen, but I was still moving in the correct direction (just 20 miles away from where I really was) I called OnStar while still driving, and they had my current position correct (101 freeway at White Oak Ave). But the GPS screen showed me 20 miles away in Burbank, CA.

After losing it's position, it doesn't regain the current position until I stop and turn the car on and off to reset the GPS. This is also a problem while driving on the 5 North through the Grapevine.

Few questions for you guys...

Any similar problems?

Where exactly on the windshield is the GPS antenna? Maybe I'm blocking it by mistake...

What kind of rental car should I demand / receive when taking it in for warranty service?

Should I simply demand a brand new GPS navigation box? I don't want them just replacing the antenna then checking the connection adn I end up with the same problem after going back and forth from the dealer...

Thanks, Ali

See less See more
#3 ·
alibond said:
I'm having a problem with GPS navigation. This is for a new 06 XLR, 3 weeks old with 3k miles.

While driving north on the 101 Freeway through Los Angeles, my GPS always looses it's signal in the exact same area (just south of downtown.)

Instead of stopping, I kept driving 20 miles. Still way off track on the screen, but I was still moving in the correct direction (just 20 miles away from where I really was) I called OnStar while still driving, and they had my current position correct (101 freeway at White Oak Ave). But the GPS screen showed me 20 miles away in Burbank, CA.

After losing it's position, it doesn't regain the current position until I stop and turn the car on and off to reset the GPS. This is also a problem while driving on the 5 North through the Grapevine.

Few questions for you guys...

Any similar problems?

Where exactly on the windshield is the GPS antenna? Maybe I'm blocking it by mistake...

What kind of rental car should I demand / receive when taking it in for warranty service?

Should I simply demand a brand new GPS navigation box? I don't want them just replacing the antenna then checking the connection adn I end up with the same problem after going back and forth from the dealer...

Thanks, Ali
Haven't heard that on e before but I would make sure the dealer knows exactly where is this happening so they can run it by there after servicing. Sometimes for radio and GPS work they outsource that to an expert. Most dealers give you a choice of a CTS or DTS for a loaner.

#5 ·
Similar

I can tell you that I have a similar situation here outside DC. There is one exit coming off the freeway where both my XLR and Honda lose GPS signal and say "you are in uncharted territory" or something to that effect.

Might be a dead zone that is related to satellite location and trees blocking (since it happens to two different cars).

Recall, that you need to access 3 separate satellites to get GPS to work properly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.