Cadillac XLR Forum banner

Problem with Cruise Control

4K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  alk3997 
#1 ·
The adaptive cruise control is really cool... but mine seems to be prone to stop and say "clean radar cruise". I understood this during rainy weather, but it even does it when it's nice and sunny and the the cover is clean. Any similar experiences???? Or is mine possible a little fickle?

#4 · (Edited)
Fredw - this is very important...your radar cruise sensor is pointed either too high or too low. Do not use the radar cruise until the pointing has been corrected. The dealership has a special pointing tool that helps align the radar sensor (they should check with XLR tech support if they don't already have the tool).

The problem is that if it is pointed too high, you can setup a situation where as you approach a low car, the sensor can start aiming above the car and not "see" anything in front of you. So, the sensor will see a car from far away and then as you get closer the car "disappears". The radar cruise microprocessor eventually figures out this is not normal and you get the "clean radar cruise" message.

The only time you should see the "clean radar cruise" message is with a visible (read "ice", "dirt", etc) build-up in front of the sensor. Even heavy rain has not caused this message. As you approach a car, the car icon in the HUD should be steady and not intermittent (except around curves).

You may have to convince your dealership that you are seeing abnormal behavior with the radar cruise, so be prepared to explain how your response is different than the normal response I listed above.

#5 ·
fredw said:
The adaptive cruise control is really cool... but mine seems to be prone to stop and say "clean radar cruise". I understood this during rainy weather, but it even does it when it's nice and sunny and the the cover is clean. Any similar experiences???? Or is mine possible a little fickle?
Do you remember the conditions at which you see the "clean radar cruise" message?
- After you turn on ignition?
- Were there any vehicles or objects in front of the radar?
- Going uphill or downhill?
- Did you see this message intermittently during the same ignition cycle?
- Did you have to turn the ignition off and back on to clear this message?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.