Cadillac XLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I did it....

I ordered an infra-red XLR-V. Its order Number 1 from my dealership.

When I told my Bride about it she look at me like I was crazy, and asked, "Why on earth would you do that? The one we have is practically brand new."

I looked sheepishly at her and said, "I don't expect you to understand, and I don't have time to get the therapy that I need."

She just smiled.

I must be having airplane withdrawl...I sold my bird on Aug 1.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Congrats

Congratulations Aviator (or is it ex-Aviator?) on both the V & your very reasonable wife!
:party

I got whupped by a 20 something kid in a Subie WRX this weekend. At 90 MPH in a 50 zone, the XLR was at the limits of its tires (11,000 miles on mine). I just didn't have the gearing to keep up with the Subie, power-wise either.
:nopity

I don't think you'll have that problem with the bigger rubber and 120 extra ponies in your V--keep us posted !!!
:thumbs

--Bob

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Dadonator said:
Congratulations Aviator (or is it ex-Aviator?) on both the V & your very reasonable wife!
:party

I got whupped by a 20 something kid in a Subie WRX this weekend. At 90 MPH in a 50 zone, the XLR was at the limits of its tires (11,000 miles on mine). I just didn't have the gearing to keep up with the Subie, power-wise either.
:nopity

I don't think you'll have that problem with the bigger rubber and 120 extra ponies in your V--keep us posted !!!
:thumbs

--Bob
It's still "aviator" - the license and medical are still valid. Next bird will be a Cirrus SR-22. See: www.cirrusdesign.com

Regarding the Subaru, don't sweat the small stuff. Some days you eat the bear, some days he eats you.

FYI - I'm going to name the new ride, "Pokchop"

·
Registered
166 Posts
Which one?

aviator said:
It's still "aviator" - the license and medical are still valid. Next bird will be a Cirrus SR-22. See: www.cirrusdesign.com

Regarding the Subaru, don't sweat the small stuff. Some days you eat the bear, some days he eats you.

FYI - I'm going to name the new ride, "Pokchop"
The V or the Cirrus? At $189,000.00 (plus options, I assume) small planes seem a lot like big yachts--probably more usefull, but less relaxing!

We sold our Catalina 42, sailboat just before my, now 4 year old, arrived--will try some sailing vacations with the 3 kids b4 buying another boat.

I find sailing a lot like flying (the sail is definitely a wing generating "lift," etc.) so, at this point I'm more likely to get another yacht, than a pilot's license, but every now and then, I think about how cool it would be to get rid of commercial airlines for any, but the longest, trips....

My first love was actually flying, but as a type I diabetic kid, airforce (or any other branch of the military) wouldn't take me. Had to settle for radio controlled gas engine hobby planes--hard on an 18 year-old's budget, but it was the best I could do.
:flag

Now, 24 years later, Type I diabetics are allowed in hot zones for active combat, with doctor's permission. I was born 20+ years too early!
:(

Aviator, do you know any pilots who got their licenses in their 40's?

Enjoy BOTH of your new toys!
:party :cheers

--Bob

·
Registered
234 Posts
Dadonator said:
Aviator, do you know any pilots who got their licenses in their 40's?

Enjoy BOTH of your new toys!
:party :cheers

--Bob
I got mine pretty late in life and would still be using it if my wife had an interest (in her defense she has some persistant balance problems). Getting it isn't much of a problem, passed both written and practical tests on the first try. After bypass surgery and a second heart attack, I just got tired of trying to manage the beuacracies at both the FAA and my various doctors offices to keep a special issuance medical.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Sport Pilot Certificate

There is a brand new thing now called a "Sport Pilot Certificate", which makes learning to fly a lot easier. And I got my "Private Pilot Certificate" when I was 44, and my Instrument Rating when I was 50. (I believe people are self-limited, not age limited.)

The Sport Pilot Certificate varies from existing private pilot certificates significantly including:

1) Requires only 20 hours of flight instruction as compared to 40 hours for private pilot.
2) Limits sport pilots to flying low performance airplanes: maximum weight 1320 lbs, maximum stall speed 45 knots, maximum speed 120 knots, fixed landing gear, and a fixed pitch propeller.

The objective is to make the thrill, satisfaction, and excitement of aviation available to more people by reducing the complexity and cost.

Here's a link to Gleim's website for more information:
http://www.gleim.com/aviation/sportpilot/

If you can visualize it, and believe it can happen, you can "make it so".

The Cirrus SR-22 equipped the way I want it is just over $400K

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
aviator said:
There is a brand new thing now called a "Sport Pilot Certificate", which makes learning to fly a lot easier. And I got my "Private Pilot Certificate" when I was 44, and my Instrument Rating when I was 50. (I believe people are self-limited, not age limited.)

The Sport Pilot Certificate varies from existing private pilot certificates significantly including:

1) Requires only 20 hours of flight instruction as compared to 40 hours for private pilot.
2) Limits sport pilots to flying low performance airplanes: maximum weight 1320 lbs, maximum stall speed 45 knots, maximum speed 120 knots, fixed landing gear, and a fixed pitch propeller.

The objective is to make the thrill, satisfaction, and excitement of aviation available to more people by reducing the complexity and cost.

Here's a link to Gleim's website for more information:
http://www.gleim.com/aviation/sportpilot/

If you can visualize it, and believe it can happen, you can "make it so".

The Cirrus SR-22 equipped the way I want it is just over $400K
:eek Is this what a "sport pilot" gets to fly?
:nono I think I would pop for the extra 20 hours!!

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Its a matter of semantics...

Naw... a sport pilot can fly a Cessna 150, 172, a Cub, Tri-Pacer, Luscombe - single engine, fixed gear trainers. The Diamond Katana is probably the best example:
http://www.diamondair.com/contentc/K100spec.htm

The Sport Pilot's license is essentially a "Learner's Permit" - something GA (General Aviation) has never had before. Eventually any serious sport pilot is going to go on and get his/her Private, and after about 300 hours or so, his/her Instrument Rating.

Beginning pilots should always fly a trainer, because the amount of information one has to process is vast and intimidating, and "getting behind" the airplane can be dangerous. That's why they want you flying a "popper" at first.

I think the Sport Pilot's license is a good thing, because it allows a student to get a license in half the time - theoretically, that is.

The reality is that the average Private Pilot doesn't get his ticket until he has about 75 hours. Yours truly beat the average at 55 when I passed my checkride.

Consider airplane rental is going to be $75 to $100 per hour and time with the instructor is another $25/hr. It could save the student thousands.

But I do agree with you completely

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
sorry, I would just be scared to death to be up in something that looks like a glorified go-cart....I would feel safer on a hang glider. Nice they have options though for people who want to get involved. :thumbs

·
Registered
166 Posts
Much info!

Whew, much info to digest--but I like what I'm hearing about flying options!

Thanks Aviator--I suppose it'd be easy to get over $200,000.00 worth of options on a 40 ft. yacht too!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Aviator,

I am chomping at the bit to order my V. My dealer says that Cadillac is not taking orders yet. So, I called today and told them you ordered one. They still said they are not taking orders. Would someone please explain this to me?

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Julie said:
Aviator,

I am chomping at the bit to order my V. My dealer says that Cadillac is not taking orders yet. So, I called today and told them you ordered one. They still said they are not taking orders. Would someone please explain this to me?

Thank you in advance!

I also have Order #1 with my dealer. This order, with a deposit, only secures my position to buy the first available XLR-V from them....as soon as they are able to order one. With deposit in hand, of course they will order immediatly. Be sure to work with a dealership that will get priority when they do begin taking orders.

I assume this is the same for Aviator??

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Passengers

Quixotic said:
Aviator, once licensed, does this Sport License allow a passenger in the plane?
Yes, you can carry a passenger but there are some restrictions that I don't recall.

Dadonator, I think that $189K you saw was for the SR-20 not the SR-22. Base price on the SR-22 is $335K, and it options up to $430 or so. Cool thing in 2004 was you could take 60% depreciation the first year. So if one has a business use, the aircraft doesn't really cost you anything for the first couple of years.

Also, airplanes are more like real estate (without property taxes) than cars. If you buy, say a 20 year old Cessna 182, it will appreciate in value if properly maintained.

I bought my 182 for 45K, sold it for 85K five years later. The 210 cost $75K sold recently for $110. Flying is not at all "profitable" however. But if you find a compatible partner or two, its about as expensive as playing golf and belonging to a nice country club.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The order numbers you are getting now are the place in line you will have when the system actually accepts orders. If you have given a deposit, I would check how many are ahead of you. This car will be very low volume, est 700 first year, so if you are dealing with a one XLR a year dealer, you may be waiting for quite some time. Allocation on these will be based on XLR sales, and V-series sales, so your best bet is a dealer who has sold many XLRs and CTS-Vs both.

G

·
Congrates from Standby, who ordered #1 in January for MSRP and I wish I knew what the hell MSRP was. Did you talk price?
BTW...........I ordered from the #1 dealer in California....Allen Cadillac,so I expect to get mine either side of January
Bob

aviator said:
Well I did it....

I ordered an infra-red XLR-V. Its order Number 1 from my dealership.

When I told my Bride about it she look at me like I was crazy, and asked, "Why on earth would you do that? The one we have is practically brand new."

I looked sheepishly at her and said, "I don't expect you to understand, and I don't have time to get the therapy that I need."

She just smiled.

I must be having airplane withdrawl...I sold my bird on Aug 1.

G

·
Caly, when did you have your bypass and when did you have your second heart attack which I'm sure you where not expecting.

I had a double 4 years ago and feel great

Bob

Caly said:
I got mine pretty late in life and would still be using it if my wife had an interest (in her defense she has some persistant balance problems). Getting it isn't much of a problem, passed both written and practical tests on the first try. After bypass surgery and a second heart attack, I just got tired of trying to manage the beuacracies at both the FAA and my various doctors offices to keep a special issuance medical.

G

·
Julie,

Would you be apossed to ordering in California at Allen Cadillac. He actually buys & trades from all the other dealers to get every XLR he can. $1,000 down will secure a position. I'm first on the list for an infra Red V at MSRP, what ever that is.
Bob
Julie said:
Aviator,

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Greetings from Ciudad Del Carmen, Mexico

Julie said:
Aviator,

Thank you in advance!
MARGARITAVILLE - I'm down here on one of my regular "Man's quest for oil" trips. Checked out fuel prices lately? I just paid $2.50/gal for regular (for the Escalade)!

Julie-
I doubt my XLR is "on order" with Cadillac as yet. The sales manager took and order form, wrote, "#1" in big letters as the top, my name, and "Infra-Red".

Its probably still sitting in his top drawer. But I know, when he is able to order it, I will be #1. (Maybe he has a whole pad of #1s?!)

Feel better?

Your humble correspondent-- aviator

1 - 20 of 27 Posts