Cadillac XLR Forum banner

Oil LEAK

7K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  standby 
G
#1 ·
There was a "oil Leak" post recently and it was imbedded in another post, so therefore I can't find it.
If someone knows the latest fix for the oil leak and the new gasket so I can explain it to the dealer, I would appreciate some help.
Thanks
Bob

G
#2 ·
Leveling bolts

As most know, there are leveling bolts on all four corners of the XLR, but what I didn't know was how bad the ride is after lowering it the 1 inch. I'm putting it back to the normal setting then getting it re-aligned
Bob

#4 ·
Oil Leak

Bob.

I was one of them that had the OIL leak. Here is a short cut to the Thread I think, that is if I did it right.:rolleyes
http://www.xlrforum.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=14720

There is a NEW gasket out that is metal with some kind of new rubber strips made into it.
If they put in the old type it will leak again. It may take awhile but it will leak again so make them get this gasket.
They also have some new tools out that they have to get to replace this gasket with or they with have to pull the motor like they did with Hans. "New tools hold front end together".
After they do the the repairs they have to realign the front end.

Blaise:thumbs

#5 ·
Bob.

I was one of them that had the OIL leak. Here is a short cut to the Thread I think, that is if I did it right.:rolleyes
http://www.xlrforum.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=14720

There is a NEW gasket out that is metal with some kind of new rubber strips made into it.
If they put in the old type it will leak again. It may take awhile but it will leak again so make them get this gasket.
They also have some new tools out that they have to get to replace this gasket with or they with have to pull the motor like they did with Hans. "New tools hold front end together".
After they do the the repairs they have to realign the front end.

Blaise:thumbs
Blaise, the oil leak on mine wasn`t from the oil pan geasket or valve cover gasket, it came right out of the front part of the engine. The most important thing was this 20 special screws which took allmost three weeks to come to germany.

Best of all, since then no more problem with my XLR.

Hans

#7 ·
Oil Leak

Hans,

My oil leak ended up being the front cover gasket also "like a timing chain cover but they don't have chains on this motor" but they did not have to replace the the 20 bolts.
I asked them about the bolts because of your problem but they said there was no problem with the twenty bolts just the gasket.
My mechanic told me that the old type gasket was going to leak on 60% of these motors that it was just a matter of time.
The NEW metal with rubber/silicone strips would fix the problem.

NOW I would have thought Bob's V would have this gasket by now.... :eek
I am sure he will tell us what they find...

Blaise

#9 ·
Hans,

My oil leak ended up being the front cover gasket also "like a timing chain cover but they don't have chains on this motor" but they did not have to replace the the 20 bolts.
I asked them about the bolts because of your problem but they said there was no problem with the twenty bolts just the gasket.
My mechanic told me that the old type gasket was going to leak on 60% of these motors that it was just a matter of time.
The NEW metal with rubber/silicone strips would fix the problem.

NOW I would have thought Bob's V would have this gasket by now.... :eek
I am sure he will tell us what they find...

Blaise
Thank you Blaise,
do you know if it was only on 04 Northstar engines or since when did they put the new gaskets in this engine?

Bob`s V is an 06 so this should not be the problem on his!

Hans

G
#10 ·
I too have just a few drops which wiped up easy on my fancy garage floor.........Thanks eveyone, I will print these out and bring them with me. Luckily, I'm going to Tustin Cadillac and they will already know what's going on.
Love this site and you guys too
Bob

G
#11 ·
NO OIL LEAK............it's a front left motor mount. The liquid gel is leaking out very slow and is effecting the front end, making it bounce when you hit concrete joints. My new delater ordered one and will call when it comes in and have a CTS waiting for me............Now that's service (Tustin Cadillac)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.