Cadillac XLR Forum banner

New amplifier & microphone?

6K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  jeanszoo 
#1 ·
Now that they have replaced to module and key fobs, they how have to replace the amplifier and microphone for my stereo, as the DSP and the automatic sound control are not working properly. And finding the parts are not going to be easy, but once they find them, it will be no problem putting them in when they get them. Golly gee, what will be next????????????? Has anyone else had these problems? :rolleyes :( :flag
Jean

#2 ·
Not knowing what the symptoms are, it is difficult to figure out which parts would have to be replaced. Here is a rough idea of how the system works.

The navigation, radio, DVD, and CD changer are all housed in one unit. It sits behind the brushed aluminum plate in the front and is held on by four bolts. There are a number of connectors (around 19) that go into the back of the unit.

I believe there are three microphones in the XLR. One is for measuring the ambient sound (the "noise compensation microphone") and is used by the DSP. The other two are noise cancelling microphones and are used by the Onstar and voice recognition systems (both mics are used by both systems, if that makes sense). Those microphones are made by Andrea electronics.

The speakers are, of course, separate. The signals for the speakers come from the back of the main nav/radio unit.

So, unless one of the microphones is malfunctioning, the nav/radio unit would be the likely source of any problem. There is nothing really difficult about replacing that unit if you have the service manual and the parts.

If you can provide more details, I *might* be able to be more specific.

#3 ·
Hi alk3997,
I had it at the dealer and it is the DSP causing the problem for the variable volume control, and the settings, namely the maintaining the "Spacious" setting. I do appreciate you help and I thank you for it. The hard part is for the dealer to get these parts, but if you know where they can get them please let me know.
Thank you again
jelcts
:flag :iagree

#4 ·
Stereo Volume NEED MORE

Have a question for all of u--please provide your input
I have a 98 vette roadster with a factory bose system--no doubt about it that with the top down the stereo plays significantly louder than r beloved XLR, also the auto volumne control works effectively in the vette!
The XLR volume max's out at too soft of a level and I can tell no difference with the volume compensation button in the on or off position. I also was unable to find anywhere the # of watts the system is reported to provide. I believe my vette has 350 but not sure.
Note that I use the XLR's DSP with it set to spacious on CD's & XM radio.

#5 ·
ctsvman said:
I believe my vette has 350 but not sure.
Note that I use the XLR's DSP with it set to spacious on CD's & XM radio.
The XLR is a 250 Watt system. Since Wattage is logarithmic, the difference between a 250 Watt system and 350 Watt system is barely noticible, if at all. To get twice the power of a 350 Watt system you would need a 3500 Watt system. Half the power is a 35 Watt system.

So, what is going on with the XLR? It isn't the power amps, but the inputs to the amps (IMHO). Try a simple test - without changing the volume level, play an XM source and then play an AM source (if someone else is trying this who doesn't have XM, try a low level CD). You'll hear quite a bit of difference in level. I've found that the XM input level is significantly lower than what is used for CD or the other radios. I'm not sure why GM did this, but I don't know of a thing that can be done to change it.

On the noise compensation microphone, I notice too much of a change when I stop at a light, so I've disabled the function (using the button with the musical note to the left of the LCD). If you aren't noticing any difference, you might have your dealer check the microphone next time the XLR is in for service. I assume you've tried disabling the noise compensation to see if that improves your audio output levels??

#6 ·
alk3997 said:
So, what is going on with the XLR? It isn't the power amps, but the inputs to the amps (IMHO). Try a simple test - without changing the volume level, play an XM source and then play an AM source (if someone else is trying this who doesn't have XM, try a low level CD). You'll hear quite a bit of difference in level. I've found that the XM input level is significantly lower than what is used for CD or the other radios. I'm not sure why GM did this, but I don't know of a thing that can be done to change it.

On the noise compensation microphone, I notice too much of a change when I stop at a light, so I've disabled the function (using the button with the musical note to the left of the LCD). If you aren't noticing any difference, you might have your dealer check the microphone next time the XLR is in for service. I assume you've tried disabling the noise compensation to see if that improves your audio output levels??
Thanx foy prompt input!
I agree I notice a difference-- the CD plays louder than the XM
I have tried the Noise comp button several times has no effect, mine is probably not working--I will bring to dealer and also c if they can raise the input up on the XM---Also do u know any way to add more than the 250 watts to the factory bose system--right now not enough compared to my 98 vette!

#7 ·
You may find you are pretty much stuck. I haven't seen a way to change the input level and the amplifiers are actually more than powerful enough (if the input level was high enough). I'm hopeful that something is wrong with the noise compensation system and it that is what is causing your loss of level (not having heard the problem, it is difficult to say for sure). With the roof closed, it should be impossible to have a conversation with the XM all the way up, but not ear-bleeding volume.

The problem with any upgrade is that almost everything is integrated into the Nav/DVD/Radio/CD Changer unit. There are outputs to the various speakers, but I'm not sure if those are line level (going to a speaker amp like on some of the earlier Bose systems) or if they are speaker level.

If they are line level, then you could boost those but then you might overdrive the speaker amp. If they are speaker level, you would have to drop back down to line level and then amplify the signal. That is off the top of my head, so I would definately get a "pro" to look at the output before trying any modifications.

#8 ·
I believe that the XM broadcasts at a higher volume then the CD player which is at a lower volume then the local radio station. I have noticed that when I switch from XM to either the local radio stations or the CD player, I have to turn the volume way down before I do so, or I will be deaf in no time at all.
jeanszoo :eek :( :flag

#10 ·
Well, if you notice the difference in volume levels between stations on the tv, and the music you downlad from the internet are played at different volume levels, wouldn't make sense that the volume levels would be different between the XM radio, local radio stations and the CD Player????????? Just think about it!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes :nopity
As for the name, well I have 5 cats, 2 dogs and 1 Kat, let's just see if you understand that part!
j

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.