Cadillac XLR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have and 05 xlr with 13k on it.The need for speed never ends and like many
who have the xlr I want a V.I guess I have to wait for Mr.Moderator before i can post if im reading correctly.Questions to follow!!!
Thanks!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Welcome. I had an 06 Starblack, now have an 08 V. HUGE difference! Having said that, a Corsa exhaust and a cold air intake will absolutely make an improvement. When I did the mods. on my 06, the change in sound alone made it worth the money. You'll LOVE it!

·
Registered
7 Posts
air intake

Welcome. I had an 06 Starblack, now have an 08 V. HUGE difference! Having said that, a Corsa exhaust and a cold air intake will absolutely make an improvement. When I did the mods. on my 06, the change in sound alone made it worth the money. You'll LOVE it!
hey i have a 07 xlr will a air intake make a defference in performance ?

and where did u get the intake from =D ?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hi Again,

I got it from D3. However, I think just replacing the stock filters and replacing them with K&N's might do it. There are 2 rubber "sheets" behind the front grill that restrict direct air flow. Remove them. Also, the exhaust is key.

·
Registered
553 Posts
So if you switched to an "open" grill, would the rubber sheets be there? Or just the oval holes?
Good question, I have never looked behind the grille of an XLR. It's possible they never used the rubber as no water could penetrate the grille. That, by the way, was the reason the sheets were used in the first place. A smart engineer realized those oval holes would be a great source of cool air, but another engineer realized water could possibly enter the air scoops and had the sheets installed.

Floyd

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have an after market V grill on my XLR, and there are no flaps over the holes. I can see some water marks on the filter covers, but since the air intake openings are facing inward in the middle of the car, it would take a lot of water coming through the holes to cause any to enter the intake. But under normal conditions I would think that this situation would enhance intake air flow.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have an after market V grill on my XLR, and there are no flaps over the holes. I can see some water marks on the filter covers, but since the air intake openings are facing inward in the middle of the car, it would take a lot of water coming through the holes to cause any to enter the intake. But under normal conditions I would think that this situation would enhance intake air flow.
I think it would too. If you don't already have a cold air intake, try simple K&N filters. I swear by them. Easy replacement. Also, you guys are right about the water. My V has a D3 intake and the sheets removed, when it rains hard or I wash my car I get a check engine code attributed to the MAF sensor.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Absolutely helps a "V" to have the flaps removed, I was told by an XLR tech to expect about a 25HP increase due to the ram air effect! Although I don't believe a base XLR would see that increase due to the way fresh air gets to the air intakes. A change in the way an XLR breathes would certainly help.

Floyd

·
Registered
5 Posts
air intake

hey i have a 07 xlr will a air intake make a defference in performance ?

and where did u get the intake from =D ?
I did that and it caused all sorts of errors to display. Only way to correct was to replace with the original. I’m not sure the aftermarket system improved performance in any way. It did cause a lot of *$%#&.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts