Cadillac XLR Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Well the service advisor called today to tell me my car was finally ready....they sent their courtesy car to pick me up. After a $2,000. pump change, I drove away only to have the car stop in the middle of the road 2 miles from the shop.....This time I spoke with the general manager.......and he assures me they will fix my car next week.
This is a problem that needs the Tech people involved with.....so far,, they havent been consulted.....I really feel that there is an electrical problem with the voltage supplied to the pump...either the ECM is corrupted or the pump controler may be bad....

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem

I had the same problem with my XLR I took it to the dealership 5 time for it, good thing it was still under warranty. They found the problem on the 5th trip part of the wire harness runs over the engine block and once the car would heat up it would short out and go dead, no power to anything at all. They replaced the harness and I havent had any problems with for the last year.
April 30th. 2011 St Paul MN.

I had a 2004 Crimson Pearl!

REDROCKER1= RED XLR!

At 28,000 miles Cadillac bought back in June 2005 under California Lemon Law.
We were living in CA. then.
Cadillac dealer said they could not correct the problem!

Shut down once with butterfly on radar sensor in grill! Went to idle, did not shut engine down.
I removed the butterfly, problem solved.

11 more time shut down completely.
Display flashing ABS activated, stabilatrac activated.
Brake pedal pulsing, stearing wheel twitching rapidly.
They replaced the stearing wheel position sensor 6 times!
They replace the COMPLETE harness on the 11th. time.
Dealer had it 17 days!
Picked it up and 2 blocks away it shut down AGAIN!
Same display flashing, ect.,ect.,ect!
I opened the hood saw the GM tag on the new harness, which was not there before.
Got back in it started right up, drove home called Lemon Law Clenic in San Diego Ca.
3 days later received a check from GM, turned XLR in the next day.
GM offered us $10,000 JUST TO KEEP IT!
Warranty would be in effect for an additional 100,000 miles and they said WE WANT TO KEEP YOU AS A CADILLAC CUSTOMER!
This was my 4th. Cadillac.93 Sedan Deville, 98 STS, 2004 CTS, and 2004 XLR.
My wife loved the XLR!
Dozens of here co workers would have her raise and lower the top!
She called it her transformer!
GPS took us 30 miles out of way one time (we called her LOLA!)
Cadillac dealer ordered updated CD for GPS no problems after that.
Driving in Las Vegas one day a lady almost ran into us!
We stopped to avoid her hitting us and SHE got out of her STS and said what kind of car were we driving!
We both said a CADILLAC XLR and SHE SAID NO F******WAY!
She asked us for our phone number to ask us more questions about the XLR,
she called us the next day to say she traded her 2003 STS in for a Crimson Pearl 2004 XLR!
I would not let my wife drive the XLR after it shut down on her one day and had it have it towed to the dealer.
WE BOTH MISS THE XLR!
Hang in there maybe they will finally solve your problem.
Larry & Gretchen Johnson
REDROCKER1
[email protected]

·
Registered
343 Posts
Well the service advisor called today to tell me my car was finally ready....they sent their courtesy car to pick me up. After a $2,000. pump change, I drove away only to have the car stop in the middle of the road 2 miles from the shop.....This time I spoke with the general manager.......and he assures me they will fix my car next week.
This is a problem that needs the Tech people involved with.....so far,, they havent been consulted.....I really feel that there is an electrical problem with the voltage supplied to the pump...either the ECM is corrupted or the pump controler may be bad....
This is after you have had a new pump fitted, right? Did they inspect all those hoses and venturies and stuff? There really should be a fault code if you have lost pressure. If you have got air in the fuel line, then there is a leak and they really should be able to find it (or replace the lot). This is a ghastly experience but can be fixed.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Yes it is....and new hoses get changed by virtue of the manner the pump gets changed......the flat rate manual allows 11.6 hrs to do the job....plenty of time if you only remove the front clamps from the exhaust,move it aside as much as possible,then reach up and turn the lock ring on the left fuel tank.Then you just let it fall out,,,,until the weight of the tank pulls the hoses out of the tank enough to be able to cut off the lines to the left tank.....it is now easy to remove the lock piece and separate the fuel lines.
Charge the customer for a new set of lines, $100 plus dollars, and put it all back together in no more than 5hrs.......
The only problem is when the diagnosis is wrong......and the same problem still exists !
I was leery about their apparent overlooking of the procedures set out in the manual,and guessing that the pump module was the culprit,,,,but reluctantly I gave into their wishes.
The last time I checked with them,,,they had a fuel gauge and some recording electrical instrument,,,and their courtesy pick up driver was out putting miles on it.....they drove it over 100 miles last time...God...I wish I could land a job like that.
I suggested they contact their tech help line for help on this one,,,and was told that they would when they have exhausted all avenues..............it's now day 25 that they have it....long enough to see a reduction of it's quoted value according to Kelly blue book ,but I am confident it will be fixed,,,,,,maybe not by Royal Cadillac,,,but someone here in Tucson.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I spent the second half of the day in the shop..with the shop foreman,,as I said before,,,he had it hooked up to a digital fuel pressure gauge,,and a recording device on the electrical.
It showed that the ECM was calling for fuel pump on.......but no voltage present at the pump.He now thinks it is a faulty fuel pump power module.....and I agree....they cost $135...but apparently there are none in any gm parts outlets....so we will check with wrecking yards for a used one.............I will keep updating as time goes on...

·
Registered
343 Posts
I spent the second half of the day in the shop..with the shop foreman,,as I said before,,,he had it hooked up to a digital fuel pressure gauge,,and a recording device on the electrical.
It showed that the ECM was calling for fuel pump on.......but no voltage present at the pump.He now thinks it is a faulty fuel pump power module.....and I agree....they cost $135...but apparently there are none in any gm parts outlets....so we will check with wrecking yards for a used one.............I will keep updating as time goes on...
Ask a daft question, but you haven't got an immobiliser fitted have you? Perhaps some after market job that is failing? Is there a fuel pump relay problem?

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Well...........It looks like problem solved............the new fuel pump control module is in and working great !!!Total cost $200 including overnight shipping from Detroit.
this should have been solved 6 weeks ago.....Cadillac say they haven't experienced prior issues with this part...
I do want to say that I was impressed with the knowledge that the shop foreman at Royal Cadillac has.....none previously on XLR fuel systems....but...he is an expert on them now. I can tell he really knows his stuff when it comes to the other Caddilac models.... The 2004 & 2005 model years have that unique system that engineers chose to abandon in favor of the simpler, single relay system that is on all the other XLRs and Corvettes since......kinda makes ya wonder.. anyway ...Thanks for everyones interest and help.
I would suggest anyone having fuel problems...to first consider the infamous module....it takes 10 minutes to change and costs $100 bucks....go figure...Ray

·
Premium Member
1,948 Posts
well...........it looks like problem solved............the new fuel pump control module is in and working great !!!total cost $200 including overnight shipping from detroit.
This should have been solved 6 weeks ago.....cadillac say they haven't experienced prior issues with this part...
I do want to say that i was impressed with the knowledge that the shop foreman at royal cadillac has.....none previously on xlr fuel systems....but...he is an expert on them now. I can tell he really knows his stuff when it comes to the other caddilac models.... The 2004 & 2005 model years have that unique system that engineers chose to abandon in favor of the simpler, single relay system that is on all the other xlrs and corvettes since......kinda makes ya wonder.. Anyway ...thanks for everyones interest and help.
I would suggest anyone having fuel problems...to first consider the infamous module....it takes 10 minutes to change and costs $100 bucks....go figure...ray
Congratulations for hanging in there until the issue was resolved!!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
56 Posts
Caddyman - where is the fuel pump control module relay located?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Well...........It looks like problem solved............the new fuel pump control module is in and working great !!!Total cost $200 including overnight shipping from Detroit.
this should have been solved 6 weeks ago.....Cadillac say they haven't experienced prior issues with this part...
I do want to say that I was impressed with the knowledge that the shop foreman at Royal Cadillac has.....none previously on XLR fuel systems....but...he is an expert on them now. I can tell he really knows his stuff when it comes to the other Caddilac models.... The 2004 & 2005 model years have that unique system that engineers chose to abandon in favor of the simpler, single relay system that is on all the other XLRs and Corvettes since......kinda makes ya wonder.. anyway ...Thanks for everyones interest and help.
I would suggest anyone having fuel problems...to first consider the infamous module....it takes 10 minutes to change and costs $100 bucks....go figure...Ray
Ray,thanks for keeping us abreast of this trouble till the end as an 05 owner it's going in my saved file,well done thanks again.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Is this the root cause of air in the lines too?

Re using a module, you have to wonder just which part of the value engineering function decided that a module was a better option than a relay..., although I guess the pump runs at different speeds, I can think of inexpensive ways of delivering much the same effect.

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts
The XLR has a very similar fuel delivery system to the Corvette. The Fuel Pump Speed Control Module is located on the inner wheel well forward of the driver's side rear tire. It is accessed through the splash panel in the wheel well.

In low fuel usage conditions, the FPSCM runs the fuel pump (located in the left saddle fuel tank) at a lower voltage. Max pump voltage is 16 volts. This prevents excessive run time on the pump. The Engine Control Module varies the control signal to the FPSCM, which varies the voltage to the pump. When the ignition switch is first activated, the module commands the pump to FULL on. Under normal conditions, fuel pump speed operates between a 10 and 90% duty cycle. When idling, the voltage is 9.5 volts.

CC :seeya

·
Registered
1 Posts
The XLR has a very similar fuel delivery system to the Corvette. The Fuel Pump Speed Control Module is located on the inner wheel well forward of the driver's side rear tire. It is accessed through the splash panel in the wheel well.

In low fuel usage conditions, the FPSCM runs the fuel pump (located in the left saddle fuel tank) at a lower voltage. Max pump voltage is 16 volts. This prevents excessive run time on the pump. The Engine Control Module varies the control signal to the FPSCM, which varies the voltage to the pump. When the ignition switch is first activated, the module commands the pump to FULL on. Under normal conditions, fuel pump speed operates between a 10 and 90% duty cycle. When idling, the voltage is 9.5 volts.

CC :seeya
Hello, After searching through the vast majority of the internet this seems a like a logical resolution to my 04 XLR issue (1 of many of course and logic doesn't always apply). Do you happen to have an image / part number for the fuel pump speed control module? I would be grateful for any information you may have and I'm not sure if you will even see this response. I love the car when I can drive it lol. Is this something an novice can repair? I am fairly handy but by no means a mechanic.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts