Cadillac XLR Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took delivery of my new 2005 Black XLR yesterday after the lease on my 2002 Vette had expired.
No problems yet. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
Hopefully the weather here in SE Mich. will cooperate this weekend and I can cruise with the top down.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I don't think you will have a problem with your new XLR. I have 12k on mine, only problem was seat belt signal was messed up. One dealer said my cluster had to be replaced, I said I need a second check, so took it to the dealer in Plano TX and he fixed in twenty minutes. top has been up and down many times with no problems, No brake squeal. getting 29 mpg at 60-65 and 25 mpg at 75-80 mpg. Have not seen another one on the road in the last two months while traveling across the USA. Enjoy. :) :cool

·
Registered
87 Posts
Mileage

I'm impressed with the mileage figures you are obtaining with your 2005 XLR.

Is there a big difference in the North Star engine between 04 & 05?

The best I've been able to get on my 04 XLR is around 16.9 Hwy and I'm not a lead foot.

Anyone else care to weigh in?

Brooks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Year Round Top Down!!

Spartan261 get a WINDBAFFLE for your XLR and you'll be able to drive topdown even at 35 degrees "comfortably" It'll come in handy in Michigan. :)

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
mileage

My XLR gets 16 MPG around Town (Los Angeles) and 27 MPG on the road. If my XLR got 16 MPG on the road not lead footing. I would be pounding on my dealer. I have had my XLR for 6 weeks. Have not seen any others on the road either. The only other XLR that I have seen is Jay Leno's and that was park at NBC Burbank where I work.

·
Registered
87 Posts
XLR Mileage

Thanks for input on mileage.
Most of my driving is on the 73 toll road and /or the 405 Fwy.
I get around 21 mpg on my El Dorado.
Since the thrust to weight ratio is better for the XLR, one would expect better mileage numbers from the XLR than the Eldo.
I'll take your advice and visit with Allen Cadillac next week.

Have seen exactly 3 other XLR's since I got mine.
Two in Laguna Niguel and one here in Dana Point where I live. The Dana Point sighting occured as we both arrived at a residential intersection and did "double takes". I mentioned to the driver that I thought he had great taste in automobiles and wanted to add that it applied to his gorgeous female co-pilot as well, but refrained.

Brooks

·
Registered
477 Posts
XLR - Thrust to weight?

Brooks, are you a turbine driver? Normally only my fellow flyboys talk like that.

Our mileage is really just a combination of stop-and-go city and cruise. We average in 19 mpg on our 2004.

That distribution is about 80% criuse at ~ 70 mph and 20% at ~ 30 mph with lots of stoplights (just getting to the freeway).

Spartan - it was a Raven Black XLR with a gold package that convinced me to "go for the gold" on our Xenon Blue. I don't know if you've considered it, but it looks fantastic.

·
Registered
14 Posts
16.9 mixed driving. Highway speeds usually around 80mph. 3500 miles so far and have not seen 17mpg average on a tank yet.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Aviator and AXT36:

Thanks for your input.
Guess I'm in the ball park at 16.9 mpg.
I imagine the numbers will improve after break in. Only have 1,800 miles on the engine.

Aviator: You guessed right. I spent 24 years as a fighter pilot in the Air Force.
The XLR is the closest thing to flying without leaving the ground.

P.S.
Your "Gold" package looks outstanding.

Brooks

·
Registered
477 Posts
Gracias, fellow aviator...

Thanks for the compliment, and mostly thanks for your long service in the USAF to protect us all. :flag You are the real aviator. I just do it for fun.

I admit, driving the XLR is a lot like flying without having to put the wheels in the well.

Can't justify the expense of a turbine on my own nickel, so this is the current steed - a C-210. Thinking about a Cirrus SR-22.

Any chance you'll post a pic of your XLR?

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
Aviator:
Thanks for the come back and your most thoughtful compliment.
Your C-120 looks cool: My brother recently purchased a Lancair. Have you checked them out?

I'd post pics of both my XLR and the Lancair but will have to figure out how to do it. They're in my photo albums, but without a dash-1, I'm at a loss as to how to post them.

Any help would be appreciated.

Brooks

·
Registered
370 Posts
Posting pictures

To post pictures you must go to Gallery and then look for the tiny "login" at the lower right.

After you login (I recall its the same as your main login), wyou will get a different menu for posting your pictures.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
477 Posts
C-120?? I know all Cessnas look alike to jet hockeys, but...?

;)
brooksmorris said:
Aviator:

Your C-120 looks cool: My brother recently purchased a Lancair. Have you checked them out?
Off topic, my apologies to non-aviators: That's a Cessna 210, six seat 300hp retract, that scoots me around at about 190 mph TAS.

The Lancair Columbia 400 is really fast and has been considered, but I'm a Texas sized guy, and the SR-22 has a larger cabin width than the Lancair and even the 210. Don't ask me to try to get in a Mooney! :eek

Back on topic: Eyedoc's picture posting method puts the photos in "My XLR Photo" link on your every post.

Alternately, if you scroll down to "manage attachments" and click that button, you can do a one time posting - like I did the 210 photo.

:cheers

1 - 14 of 14 Posts