Cadillac XLR Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2008 XLR rides like a log truck.... could this magnetic ride module be the problem or is there something else I'm missing. I live in CA and usually store the car all winter...this year it just didn't feel right and is not fun to drive.... I thought my memory of a smooth ride was just my imagination. Any help or suggestions.

·
Registered
59 Posts
you have a shock locked up. I have seen several. just walk around and push down on each corner .You could very well have one that just does not move .Also depending on the mileage they may be shot .Usually when they wear out they ride rather spongy not hard. I doubt its the ride control as 06-09 rarely fail.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you have a shock locked up. I have seen several. just walk around and push down on each corner .You could very well have one that just does not move .Also depending on the mileage they may be shot .Usually when they wear out they ride rather spongy not hard. I doubt its the ride control as 06-09 rarely fail.
Thanks for the advice...will check it out and let you know...

·
Registered
59 Posts
great. follow up when you have problems .That is one thing thats missed on these forums .People dont come back and share what they did to repair a problem so we can all learn.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice...will check it out and let you know...
Just checked my 2008 XLR ... all corners are rock solid and no bounce...car has 124k miles... guess it's the shocks... all 4?.... unless I can put it on a lift rack and see if the stuck shocks will extend.... it looks like a full replacement....bummer, but I want my cadillac ride back.

·
Registered
59 Posts
all 4 sounds rare. I have not seen that before .usually one or two at most. I would put a jack under the rear control arm out close to the wheel and see if when you pick it up if the wheel moves before the car does. also look to see if there is a lot of fluid around the base of the shock. A little is ok but a lot is bad. Rock auto has the best price I think on factory replacements and most any corvette shop can install them Just be sure they dont put the nuts on with an impact as a lot of shops do. That will spin the shock shaft and will damage the new shock,

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On my 2008 XLR, I noticed that there are two fuses in the fuse box under the hood #1 and #13 related to the MRR.... very large gray square and one rectangular fuse block.... I've not had any notification on my DIC of problems..... could one of these fuses be the problem with my magnetic Ride system, if so how do I check them out?... The ride is very hard not spongy and there is no give when I push down on each corner. I've left a message to a mechanic I can trust to see if he can assess the cars computer diagnostic system deeper than an OBDll.... anything I'm missing?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On my 2008 XLR, I noticed that there are two fuses in the fuse box under the hood #1 and #13 related to the MRR.... very large gray square and one rectangular fuse block.... I've not had any notification on my DIC of problems..... could one of these fuses be the problem with my magnetic Ride system, if so how do I check them out?... The ride is very hard not spongy and there is no give when I push down on each corner. I've left a message to a mechanic I can trust to see if he can assess the cars computer diagnostic system deeper than an OBDll.... anything I'm missing?
I keep my car in the garage to look for any leaks... that's how I found my water pump leak ... just a couple of drops ... but for the shocks...no leaks around any part of the car... and it can set for weeks after a hard weekend...

·
Registered
59 Posts
its not a dripping leak. its a seeping leak of fluid around the shocks and stays on the shock. if you see any oil or grease below the rubber boot on the shocks that is too much of a leak. They all seep a little. You would have a service ride light on the dash is something was wrong with your suspension module. A tech 2 can check and give readings on the shock operation. most dealers can do it for a charge of 2 hours or so. I would also look at the control arms. There is a ride height module with a small thin rod running from each control arm to the body. they should be straight .One might be bent. However for the shocks to be in firm solid state they would require a constant power to them and I really do not see that being the case

·
Registered
3 Posts
If anyone is interested, I've been able to build for the 2004-2005 a bypass for the suspension module. It doesn't make the magnetic ride shocks work but it does remove the "service ride control" and "80 mph speed limit" messages and will allow the XLR to drive faster than 80 mph. If your suspension module 10348979 is broken and you have switched to regular shocks this bypass will remove the messages. If your suspension module is working and you are using the corvette casper simulators on the shocks and position sensors, this will allow you to remove the suspension module and sell it for close to $3k. It will require slicing 5 wires from the old suspension module. I'm asking $375. Message me If you're interested.
Automotive lighting Gadget Carabiner Finger Automotive tire
Electrical wiring Automotive lighting Cable Gas Electricity

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
any update on the problem?
Sorry for the long delay on an update on my magnetic ride suspension....I've been driving the car more frequent and at times down the same patch of road the ride is smooth rather than so hard I go airborne over every small bump. Still no message in the DIC to indicate an issue. Tried to set up an appointment with Cadillac Dealer since my last post without success.... called twice and put on hold for over 30 mins each time... with the Technician... believe they don't have the skills to address this issue and need a shop with some really good Gear Heads and access to tech manuals.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts