Cadillac XLR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I went to get in my 08 XLR and take a nice fall ride. When I tried to open the driver side door ....nothing. I tried both key fobs with no luck. I opened the trunk using the emergency method opened the driver door and tried to start the car. I received a prompt stating "no fob detected". After several attempts with no luck I called roadside assistance to get my car transported to the dealer. When they arrived they were instructed to remove the console cover to get the car out of park to get it on the flat bed. That took the driver 1 1/2 hours after calling the dealer several times. The dealer had to reprogram the system to re-establish communication. They claim it happens every now and then.

"Every Now and Then ??????"

Now this is unacceptable as far as I'm concerned. I afraid to take my very expensive car more that 100 feet from my garage. Is this a common problem or a fluke? Right now I have no confidence in my beautiful XLR and I'm afraid to drive it anywhere. I guess I need some reassurance. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks for your time....

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts
The fob should have communicated while in the slot, which does point to the RCDLR as being the culprit. If it ever happens again, I'd have it replaced. They're relatively inexpensive.

The explanation of, "it happens every now and then" sounds like something a pregnant teenager might say.

CC :seeya

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What is the RCDLR? Can I purchase one and install it myself? I really want to cover all the bases to avoid having this happen again.
Thanks..

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts
The Remote Control Door Lock Receiver is the brains of the Easy Key system. It is located under the right side of the dash pad. It isn't hard to replace, but willl likely need to be reprogrammed with the dealer's Tech 2 scan tool.

·
Registered
59 Posts
V Happy

Maybe someone can answer my question. I have been having problems with my 2006 V. I try to get in and it does not want to open the door. I've tried both fobs with new batteries. This seems to be intermittent. If I hit unlock then the door will open. Next intermittently I will get a no fob detected from the ignition. Sometimes I take the fob out of my pocket and bingo it works Only once did I have to open the glove box and place the fob in there. My battery in the car seems to read good with a meter. I'm guessing the module that reads the fobs is going bad. I have a used certified warranty till April of next year. I travel in the winter and will not get back till may. Do you think the certified warranty covers this or should I just buy a new fob and receiver package. If I do this how hard is the receiver to get to?
RMY

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts
Checking a car battery with a meter is not enough. Volts don't start a car, amps do. If you suspect your battery, remove it from the car and have it professionally checked. Anytime you experience an intermittent problem in an XLR, this is the first thing to check.

If you paid for a warranty, by all means, take advantage of it. The problem won't go away. Your warranty will. The Easy Key system should be covered.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Maybe someone can answer my question. I have been having problems with my 2006 V. I try to get in and it does not want to open the door. I've tried both fobs with new batteries. This seems to be intermittent. If I hit unlock then the door will open. Next intermittently I will get a no fob detected from the ignition. Sometimes I take the fob out of my pocket and bingo it works Only once did I have to open the glove box and place the fob in there. My battery in the car seems to read good with a meter. I'm guessing the module that reads the fobs is going bad. I have a used certified warranty till April of next year. I travel in the winter and will not get back till may. Do you think the certified warranty covers this or should I just buy a new fob and receiver package. If I do this how hard is the receiver to get to?
RMY
This might be a silly question, but how close is the fob to a transmitter such as a cell phone? I have found problems that are fixed by keeping the two further apart.

·
Registered
26 Posts
RMY
Sorry to hear the problems you are experiencing with your key fob. Have you had the chance to visit your local dealership? Please keep us posted on any information.

Thank you,
Caron, Cadillac Customer Service

1 - 13 of 13 Posts