Cadillac XLR Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My battery is dead, and the car is locked down. I tried the bumper key and it doesn't work. I called a locksmith he told me it's not the lock that's broken its whatever it connects to on the inside of the trunk. So now I'm stuck, and I need help on how to open the trunk or the hood to charge the battery. Any help would be appreciated.

Joe
(732-948-7081)

· Registered
2 Posts
My battery is dead, and the car is locked down. I tried the bumper key and it doesn't work. I called a locksmith he told me it's not the lock that's broken its whatever it connects to on the inside of the trunk. So now I'm stuck, and I need help on how to open the trunk or the hood to charge the battery. Any help would be appreciated.

Joe
(732-948-7081)
I found a spot under the car at the front (plug and receptacle) that I tied in 12 volt charger and charged the battery, then opened the door.

· Registered
2 Posts
That would be nice to know about. Is it possible for you to get a picture showing what the plug looks like and a picture of exactly where on the car it is?
I had googled it and found this solution on line (but not this site). It was about 5 years ago. The fob with the key was in the car and the battery tender was on but the tender failed. The car was in FL and we are snowbirds. Upon returning, found this dilemma. The ownership was in the glovebox so the dealer would not make me a new key. On the site that I had found, naysayers were warning about doing damage to the onboard computers if this was attempted. It worked! The car presently is up north but will get photos as soon as I can. The connector is center of the car at the front. I unplugged it and used an alligator jumper from the charger to the connector and jerry rigged a ground connection to the chasis. I was able to see a small current on the charger so left it for a half an hour. I believe at about 8 volts (using a volt meter to check whilst charging), there was enough power to unlock the door.

· Registered
16 Posts

Joe
(732-948-7081)

· Registered
16 Posts
small 1" square on the rear bumper take the large key that came with your car, When you trun the key it will uplatcch the trunk latch, You will need to hold the key in the turned position and push the truck lid up at the same time. Lifing the trunk lid can be very difficult because you do not have any power assist. You might want 2 people, one to hold the key turned and the other to lift the trunk lid open. It is not like you can turn the key and the truck lid will pop open, you need to hold the key turned while someone lifts the trunk lid. Once you are in the trunk the pull cord to open the driver door is located in a small compartment just abour 1" above the light on the left of trunk . There is a snall " 0 ring ", pull this toward the center of the trrunk, this will get you to a small compartment, 1" or 2" inches square, The pull cord for the driver side door is in this compartment. When you pull the cord you will NOT hear the door open,but it will be unlatched and you can open the door.

John

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for your response but my lock is broken and the turns all the way around. I did get it open by jumping it off the electric fan in the front of the car. Now I just have to find a way of fixing that lock. I had the locksmith there and tells me it's not the lock but what it's connected to.

· Registered
242 Posts
If your key in the bumper turns all he way around the key lock is bad. The csble runs up to the trunk lock. You can open the trunk snd manually pull the emergency cable inside the trunk. its attached to the same part that bumper key opens.you may have to remove the trim cover to see it. I can send you some photos if you need . to replace the key lock and cable will run you 6-700$ there is a work around i can share.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts