Cadillac XLR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the last several days my XLR will nor reconize the fop until I hit the lock or unlock buttom.Once Itouch the button the car will start.

Both tmes I was under the canoby of a mobil gas station with a micro wave set on top of it. Any Ideas??

·
Registered
136 Posts
Terry,

When you refer to Micro Wave on the top of the Mobil station do you really mean a satellite dish? But really shouldn't matter in that both are very directional and not in the same freqency range as your fob. But it is odd that your problem has taken place only at the Mobil station. And, it seems very peculiar that pushing the lock and unlock buttons would clear up the problem if it was RF (Radio Freqency) related.

I would suggest you report this to your dealer and let them sort through it.

DFXLR

·
Registered
105 Posts
Heard from MR. XLR, upon picking my XLR up, that Mobil station transmissions can and do interfer with the key fob signals--he went out of his way to show me how to insert the key fob in the slot in the glove box should I have a problem at a Mobil station or anything similar--never mentioned the unlock/lock trick
Al maybe u can shed some more light on the subject!

·
Registered
136 Posts
ctsvman,

Your report from MRXLR is very interesting, in that hiding the fob in a plastic car with very little metal should not block it from micro wave and I guess you found this fixed the problem?

The other option for you and Terry would be to Chevron, which is where we go to refuel our XLR and have never had a problem. For that matter we have never experienced any such problem with the fob or any of the vehicle's electronics.

DFXLR

·
Registered
105 Posts
DFXLR--I do not believe there r any Chevron stations in the windy city--but thanx for the information.
My understanding is that the key fob insert in the glove box puts it closest to the XLR's antenna and can also be used if the key fob battery is weak..

·
Registered
136 Posts
ctsvman,

Sorry you don't have Chevron because its great fuel and great service.

Also, thanks for the additional information regarding the fob and the vehicle's reception point, which somewhat helps me understand the Mobil thing.

DFXLR

·
Registered
484 Posts
Mobil Gas Stations

This is an issue that is directly related to the Speedpass transmitters. It does not matter if you have speedPass or not. If a station has their power level turned up beyond the level Mobil corporate designates to it's franchised owners the XLR's Keyless Access can be interupted.

As CtsvMan stated I instruct all my XLR clients on what may happen if they use a Mobil station equipped with SpeedPass. The system will simply say "No Fob Detected". Please understand most stations keep their transmitters set to the correct level so the vast majority of owners are complying.

This is just one of the items that I instruct my clients on possible potential issues that can arrise and show them the fix by demonstrating how the Bvlgari remote simply slides in to the emergency slot next to the valet lock out in the glove box. Where there is an antenna directly next to it so the signal would no longer be over powered by the Mobil transmitter.

That emergency slot is what you would also use if you have been a procrastinator and you have been notified many times that youre battery in the remote is weak. Then one day you can't unlock youre XLR, shame on the owner.

Of course all the other XLR dealers have instructed each of their clients on this procedure.
Thank You
Allen

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FOB

Thanks for all the help. This am I am going in for open heart surgery. when I am able to drive again I will try all the ideas. Always enjoy the XLR I have driven vettes for 35 years, but XLR is the best

See you Terry

·
Registered
169 Posts
No Fob detected happens way too often

I hate to break it to everyone, but I get the no fob detected far too often and we are not talking about gas stations. The way I fix it is to unlock or lock the doors from they fob. However, this shoudl not be happening as what the point of this whole keyless thing if you have to constantly use the key fob.

Also, I find the clicking noise when you press the brake pedal prior to the start button utterly annoying and makes car seem cheap. I love the XLR but these are the little annoyences that I dont like.

·
Registered
411 Posts
xlr (how did you manage to get that ID?), Make sure you take your XLR back to the dealer on the fob issue. There are a few known instances of what you describe. For my XLR, the fob and receiving electronics were replaced. I'm told Cadillac is working on narrowing down the offending part so that the whole system doesn't have to be replaced.

Here is a rough description of the issue:

- At some attempted engine starts, the message "Fob Not Found" is displayed. Without the fob moving, pressing the start button again starts the car (may take a few tries).

- When the ignition off button is pressed, "No Fob - On or Accessory" (that phrase may be slightly off - I'm going by memory) is displayed and the accessory mode is entered. This again goes away with the next press of the Off button.

- There are parts of the XLR where the fob works perfectly but other parts of the car where it works xx% of the time. The percentage will vary depending upon the fob location.

- The physical location of the XLR does not change whether the above occurs or not.

What I'm describing only covers situations where all four of the above are happening.

Again, if so, then you should have your dealer check your XLR out. They should contact tech assistance for help. Since the electronics and the fobs were replaced my XLR is working perfectly.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Mr XLR,

I was not aware that Mobil had Speedpass, since I do not use Mobil but your disclosure would explain the fob problem.

DFXLR

·
Registered
411 Posts
I'm sorry I didn't have too much time when I posted the earlier note about a fob issue in a few of the XLRs. I left out the clicking issue.

Basically when the fob is working properly you get between 3-5 "clicks" whenever the fob is interrogated. To be fair, the clicks are barely noticible after a while because they last for such a short duration.

With a fob problem, the number of clicks increases to between 5-10 clicks for a "I didn't see the fob the first time, but did the second time" type of error. On the verge of failure can be between 10-15 clicks and then failure is around 15. By the time you keep hearing 15 clicks and then get the "No Fob Detected" error, it becomes pretty annoying and I suspect is designed to be that way so you take the XLR for service.

Anyway, just wanted to pass along that once the fob issue is cleared, the clicks become much much less noticible.

·
Registered
169 Posts
What I dont understand is why do we need to hear any clicks. Barely noticeable is not as good as none. I LOVE my XLR but to me its just strange to have clicking noises in $75,000 car.

·
Registered
411 Posts
That is the current state of the art for pulsing a short-range transmitter/receiver. I suspect the trade-off is probably muffling the click sound versus transmitter/receiver distance. I suppose in the future a manufacturer could setup a wi-fi network, but there would be more security concerns about that then I can probably imagine.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hi Gang,

Given the disclosures prior to my input, I've got to ask are there any more folks out there that know of any gas stations that are harmful to the XLR fob?

All I can tell you is that Chevron is XLR friendly and is a fuel that I have been using since I starting driving since my father stated turning the key and since I did my 1/4 mile and TransAm racing.

DFXLR

·
Registered
136 Posts
alk3997,

Thank you for your input that EXXON does not have an adverse affect on our fob's.

Is there anyone else out there that has additional input?

DFXLR

·
Registered
484 Posts
Remote primarily affected by Mobils SpeedPass

I just want to again fill you in on the remote issue. You may go to every Mobil station in the USA and never have any issues, but if by chance one station has their transmitter turned up higher than the specified setting set by Mobil corp. you may receive the"No Fob Detected" signal on the Driver Information Center (DIC).

There is nothing wrong with your remote or the car in any way regarding this issue. but you may need to get your remote closser to the glove box where the emergency pocket is. There is an antenna directly next to it that was primarily designed for the terrible procrastinator that didnt change his battery in the remote when he started to receive a signal on the DIC that his battery was weak in the remote.

This issue can also happen if any STRONG signal that may be on a similar frequency interferes with the communication of the remote and the 5 antennas that are designed to receive the signal from the remote.
Thanks
Allen

·
Registered
136 Posts
Mr XLR,

Understand. I just wondering if there were other stations that equipment errors causing fob problems.

DFXLR

·
Registered
411 Posts
Mr. XLR speaks the truth. If your fob problem is occuring only while in gas stations or someplace close to a smart-card type device, then that is likely the culprit. The item I was talking about earlier will occur at any location. It is only at that point that you should consult with your dealer.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts