Cadillac XLR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
How is it in person? How does it feel on the road? Inquiring minds want to know! :D

·
Registered
41 Posts
[Mr.Burns voice on] excelent [Mr.Burns voice off]

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it's smooth and fast. i didn't get to drive it long or drive it too hard since it was taken out of the proving grounds to be tested on the city roads for emissions.

·
Registered
63 Posts
86vette said:
it's smooth and fast. i didn't get to drive it long or drive it too hard since it was taken out of the proving grounds to be tested on the city roads for emissions.
Does it feel solid?

·
Registered
41 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I see my non-response has stirred some people up. I'll get a picture of me sitting in it next time. To protect people from getting in trouble, here's two words. Friend and Proving Grounds.

My Review:

The car handles pretty solid. Much like the C5, but not as stiff. Like I said, I haven't had a chance to take it past 30mph. I'm going to have to try and persuade my connection to allow me to take it on the highway. The best part was trying to figure out how to open the doors. I'll post some pics as soon as i get some. Don't worry, it'll be before you can buy one!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I talked to my GM/Lexus/Toyota Dealer and he told me that they are not condsidering in bringing one in for quite some time since it will compete with the Lexus sports car that they sell quite a few of. If they bring one in as a regular stocking item, they will have to invest in a great amount of money in parts and training. But they will special order one for anyone who has to have one.

I guess that I will have to go to the mainland to check one out.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have to apologize for not having pictures. I got to drive it again over the weekend but for protecting my friend, I respected his decision to not let me take pictures. We did take the car up from a complete stand still to 80. Of course I wasn't driving. This XLR was red (I think it made it faster then the silver.) :D

Here's my experience:

Somewhere between leaving the house and walking out the car, it unlocked, of course you don't hear anything or see any lights turn on, but it just happens mysteriously. Ok, not exactly but it's cool. You reatch your index finger in the the cutout in the body paneling the push the button that opens the door. If you just hook your finger in and pull, that works best and you'll find it right away. I sit in the passenger side and the first thing I always notice is the cool sill covers. I look up at the dash and there's a sticky note that says do not cycle the top. I ask what that's about and he says, the trunk wasn't working so it's a little reminder not to put the top down. He pushed the button on the dash just to the right of the steering column and the engine begins to purr. I select a radio station by pushing the lcd screen, but he informs me that it's not working properly. So now there's no top down and no radio to play. But at least the cooling seats were working on this warm muggy night. We cruise through the subdivision to get to a nice open road. We look both ways and he puches it taking it all the way to 80. It was hard to tell how many times it shifted because it was sooo smooth (and of course solid). I think it was in 3rd gear at 80 but I really wasn't paying attention to the gears. Also, he hadn't turned off the traction control or the stability control so there was not squealing of the tires. That was left for the time coming back. We stop and turn around. He flips off all of the power cutbacks and the orange lettering scrolls across the dash indicating the status and then lets it rip. It sidestepped a little as the tires let out a tiny squeal and we were gone.

We pulled into the sub and he put the car in park and switched with me. Even with the keys in his pcket we did not have to turn off the car. I hop into the drivers seat and I have to listen to him give his little talk (blah, blah, blah, just let me drive). I still love how the speedometer is displayed in the windshield (i know it's not the first car to have it but it's still cool). As I'm driving I slide the "tab" stick over and the current gear pops up next the speedometer. I up shift to 5th gear while only doing about 20. The car didn't even bog down. I drove it a couple of blocks turned around and pulled into the driveway.

Here's my overall review:
Luxury: 9.8 (get the radio and roof fixed :) )
Handling: 9.4 (traction control off)
Sports "Feel": 9.2
Sports "Performance": 8.0
Ride: 9.6

Overall: 9.5

My opinion is not to buy this car to fill that "sports car" need. This is still a luxury car with a beefy engine. A great alternative to the Mercedes SL500 and aabout 10k cheaper. If you want a sports car get a Z06. I still love the feel of a stick, but the "tab" would suffice for just cruising around town.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Very nice write up. I can't wait to start seeing these on the road. A car always looks different on the road than it does on some stand at the auto shows.

Sounds like it is going to be a great drive. Early previews have all been quite positive although I am sure many in the pro-Euro press will still find enough American aspects of the car to complain about.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
cars do look different when they are on the road compared to when they are on show. it looked like a big bulky car at the auto show, but it's as low as my vette and about the same legnth if not shorter. the wheels are closer to the ends so it helps make it look alot shorter then it is. when looking at it from about 50 feet back, i can easily see how it has a corvette look as i try to picture the c6.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts